Confidentiality Written Into The Law

I sent in my application and money for a card. I was issued a card, several months later. I am under the impression that this is a contract. And from the LARA website, HERE is what we agreed on when they took my money;

"(h) The following confidentiality rules shall apply:

(1) Applications and supporting information submitted by qualifying patients, including information regarding their primary caregivers and physicians, are confidential.

(2) The department shall maintain a confidential list of the persons to whom the department has issued registry identification cards. Individual names and other identifying information on the list is confidential and is exempt from disclosure under the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246."

Now they want to change that part of the law? Well, guess what? I want my money back. If they had to return everybody's money once they decide they want to change the rules of the contract, they would cry about being broke. So, don't change it. Put any changes in an election and put it to the people. Better yet, only ask registered card holders about ANY change to the law. We have a contract and the State is changing it. This is just plain wrong. The above is what we voted in and agreed to. We never agreed to give local LEO a list of our names. We voted on a CONFIDENTIAL registry and many of us would never have sent in an application with ANY rule in it that stated that LEO would be given a list of all our names.

Archived