Could Marijuana Help My Ibs?

I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome that affects me on an almost daily basis. Sorry for the details, but: severe stomach cramps, diarrhea *daily*, general feelings of tiredness and weakness.

I noticed Crohn's disease may be one of the qualifying conditions for Michigan's medical marijuana law. I haven't been diagnosed with Crohn's disease by primary physician, but I have been diagnosed with the related Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I have been given prescriptions to help, but I don't like the side effects such as chest pains/racing heart and just try to live with the regular discomfort and pain instead. To be honest, I've never used Marijuana before and don't know one would even obtain it to find out. Because of lung issues I can't smoke (anything) and would be limited to edibles.

Is it worth going through the process of going to a physician to see if I qualify and trying to obtain the card? Do edibles ever aggravate existing Irritable Bowel? Have they been known to help?

Edited by portagegeorge

Here are a few natural remedies to possibily control your IBS, if you would like I could do more research on the subject and see if any of the topics help with your issues? I'm sure you have heard or read about these things cause you suffer with the problem, and I don't just trying to provide some form of relief for you, until you decide to check with a Dr.

TRY AN ANTISPASMODIC

These act on the smooth muscle in the gut lining to prevent and relieve painful cramps. Colpermin is an over-the-counter and prescription antispasmodic drug containing peppermint oil.

Buscopan is an over-the-counter drug derived from the leaves of the Australian corkwood tree. Colofac IBS is a prescription-only drug. The tablets are usually taken three times daily, about 20 minutes before a meal.

HELPFUL HERBS AND SOOTHING SUPPLEMENTS

● Mint: The British Medical Journal reported in 2008 that nearly 50 per cent of IBS sufferers found relief from their symptoms when they took peppermint oil. You can take peppermint in tea, oil, herb or capsule form.

● Calcium: Some sufferers find that taking a calcium supplement helps to counteract diarrhoea. This is thought to be a result of calcium slowing down gut contractions.

● Turmeric: Studies suggest that turmeric can help to ease digestive problems, thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties and its ability to block abnormal muscle contractions in the gut. The recommended dosage is 500mg of turmeric extract once a day until symptoms improve.

Yes. Cannabis is an excellent antispasmodics and also helps relieve the cramping pain. Indica strains work best for most. Cannabis is best for diarrhea dominate IBS, because it can contribute to constipation do to its antispasmodic properties, similar to big pharma antispasmodics. Leaf capsules can be very beneficial and can be taken through the day without any mental effects. Taking digestive enzymes and eliminating gluten are also beneficial for many. Alo vera juice works for some as well. Hope you find the combination that works for you. If cannabis does not eliminate the need for pharma drugs, it should reduce the amount needed.

Edited by thanks2