Inhibitory Effect Of Honokiol And Magnolol On Cytochrome P450 Enzyme Activities In Human Liver Microsomes

Abstract: Honokiol and magnolol, the major bioactive neolignans of magnolia officinalis, are the most important constituents of

the crude drug prescriptions that are used in the therapy of neuroses and various nervous disorders. There have been limited

reports on the effects of neolignoid compounds on human cytochrome P450 activity. Therefore, the inhibitory effects of honokiol

and magnolol on seven human cytochrome P450 s were evaluated in human liver microsomes. Honokiol and magnolol

showed the most potent inhibition of CYP1A2-mediated phenacetin O-deethylase activity (IC50 values of 3.5 and 5.4 mM,

respectively) among the seven P450s tested. These in vitro data indicate that neolignan compounds can inhibit the activity of

CYP1A2 and suggest that these compounds should be examined for potential pharmacokinetic drug interactions in vivo.

http://www.ibc7.org/msl/config/file_down.php?sid=62

As I was pulling links I just ran across this, which I wasn't previously aware of.