Eligible If Cancer Is In Remission?

Hi everyone. First post for me here.

I have Hodgkin's Disease (a lymphoma) however it is currently in remission and I am out of treatment. But I do have some stress and anxiety issues related to my battle that are helped only by marijuana. Am I eligible for a card? I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere. I see my oncologist every few months for routine checkups, but I am a public figure and I don't want to risk asking him. Not to mention the hospital in town here is NOT fond of perscribing and from what I heard has requested that none of their doctors do so.

Thanks in advance!

Neptune, welcome!

As a form of cancer, Hodgkin's Disease is explicitly covered by the MM act, so I think you would definitely be eligible. In addition, any symptoms you may have of pain or loss of appetite could also be their own qualifying conditions.

Just my humble opinion from reading the act and helping a friend of mine with cancer get her card. I appreciate any corrections if I'm misleading Neptune here.

You may have to bring some medical records to a Medical Marijuana Clinic, or have them sent there, to get the paperwork signed.

My issues is an odd one I think. I've been in remission and out of treatment for just over 5 years, which is awesome for me. For the past year I have had regular checkups with my oncologist every six months. Prior to this, it was every three months. Except for a little scare last year--felt a lump under one of my arms which, after biopsy showed benign--I have been very fortunate. When they did my initial biopsy (left clavicle, or the crook of my neck on the left side) they took out the whole swollen lymph node and when they lasered me back together (smelled great, let me tell you) something didn't settle right with the scar tissue I guess. Since then, I have had chronic pain in my upper shoulder/neck on a daily basis. I mentioned it once to my oncologist, but he kind of just brushed it off. I never brought it up again, mostly due to the fact that I was just happy to be alive and I honestly didn't think anything could be done about it. I had no insurance when I was going through treatment and had racked up one heck of a bill (over $100k--24k of it had to come out of pocket), so the less visits to the doctor the better. Now I have great health insurance, but it never occurred to me to bring it up again because I figured the only option was some kind of pain killer which I have ABSOLUTELY no desire to start taking. I used marijuana illegally while going through treatment to ease the side effects of the chemo and radiation and had wonderful results.

I was told by someone that if it has been longer than 2 years since I was in treatment for cancer than I likely could not get a card. But if this is a pain associated with the treatment, I would think it would qualify. I guess my next step should be to complain to my GP about the pain? Then what? Suggestions?

Neptune, welcome!

As a form of cancer, Hodgkin's Disease is explicitly covered by the MM act, so I think you would definitely be eligible. In addition, any symptoms you may have of pain or loss of appetite could also be their own qualifying conditions.

Just my humble opinion from reading the act and helping a friend of mine with cancer get her card. I appreciate any corrections if I'm misleading Neptune here.

You may have to bring some medical records to a Medical Marijuana Clinic, or have them sent there, to get the paperwork signed.

My issues is an odd one I think. I've been in remission and out of treatment for just over 5 years, which is awesome for me. For the past year I have had regular checkups with my oncologist every six months. Prior to this, it was every three months. Except for a little scare last year--felt a lump under one of my arms which, after biopsy showed benign--I have been very fortunate. When they did my initial biopsy (left clavicle, or the crook of my neck on the left side) they took out the whole swollen lymph node and when they lasered me back together (smelled great, let me tell you) something didn't settle right with the scar tissue I guess. Since then, I have had chronic pain in my upper shoulder/neck on a daily basis. I mentioned it once to my oncologist, but he kind of just brushed it off. I never brought it up again, mostly due to the fact that I was just happy to be alive and I honestly didn't think anything could be done about it. I had no insurance when I was going through treatment and had racked up one heck of a bill (over $100k--24k of it had to come out of pocket), so the less visits to the doctor the better. Now I have great health insurance, but it never occurred to me to bring it up again because I figured the only option was some kind of pain killer which I have ABSOLUTELY no desire to start taking. I used marijuana illegally while going through treatment to ease the side effects of the chemo and radiation and had wonderful results.

I was told by someone that if it has been longer than 2 years since I was in treatment for cancer than I likely could not get a card. But if this is a pain associated with the treatment, I would think it would qualify. I guess my next step should be to complain to my GP about the pain? Then what? Suggestions?

A clinic that specializes in consultation for recommendation, for instance the THCF, they can tell you.

Hi everyone. First post for me here.

I have Hodgkin's Disease (a lymphoma) however it is currently in remission and I am out of treatment. But I do have some stress and anxiety issues related to my battle that are helped only by marijuana. Am I eligible for a card? I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere. I see my oncologist every few months for routine checkups, but I am a public figure and I don't want to risk asking him. Not to mention the hospital in town here is NOT fond of perscribing and from what I heard has requested that none of their doctors do so.

Thanks in advance!

i have hogdkins also mine comes and goes,they cant refuse you,in their minds,theres no cure for cancer.i have a card with hogdkins so i would have to say,you can too....hope this helps

Archived