California Card Holders

In order to be a caregiver for someone, they must be part of the MMMP, that is the Michigan MMP. The law only allows for out-of-staters who are cardholders to use/possess MM in the state of Michigan without fear of LEO. That person must get a MI card, before you could be their caregiver in Michigan legally.

Meadow,

Where DO you get your misinformation in regards to out of state patients? Or do you just have something against those holding a California card?

NOWHERE in the act does it say that an out of state patient CAN NOT have a caregiver, nowhere in the act does it say an out of state patient can only use and possess meds.

As a matter of fact the MDCH web site answers this question directly:

http://www.michigan.gov/mdch/0,1607,7-132-27417_51869_52140---,00.html

Question: I am a valid medical marihuana patient under another state's law. Am I protected?

Answer: Yes, under Section 4(j) of the MMMA, a registry identification card or its equivalent issued by another state government to permit the medical use of marihuana by a qualifying patient or to permit a person to assist with a qualify patient's medical use of marihuana has the same force and effect as a registry identification card issued by the Department.

Same force and effect. Absorb it.

Meadow,

Where DO you get your misinformation in regards to out of state patients? Or do you just have something against those holding a California card?

NOWHERE in the act does it say that an out of state patient CAN NOT have a caregiver, nowhere in the act does it say an out of state patient can only use and possess meds.

Question: I am a valid medical marihuana patient under another state's law. Am I protected?

Answer: Yes, under Section 4(j) of the MMMA, a registry identification card or its equivalent issued by another state government to permit the medical use of marihuana by a qualifying patient or to permit a person to assist with a qualify patient's medical use of marihuana has the same force and effect as a registry identification card issued by the Department.

Good stuff thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info--I'm trying to figure out how to get the paperwork ready. A relative of mine has a Medical Marijuana Card issued from California and was looking for a caregiver and the procedure in how to apply with the state of Michigan. My next step is to ATTEMPT to contact the Department of Health and get a finalized answer

Meadow,

Thanks for the info--I'm trying to figure out how to get the paperwork ready. A relative of mine has a Medical Marijuana Card issued from California and was looking for a caregiver and the procedure in how to apply with the state of Michigan. My next step is to ATTEMPT to contact the Department of Health and get a finalized answer

Let us know what they say.

SterlingClara, I'm not sure how your interpreting that question and answer, but nowhere does it say that a registered user of another state can have a caregiver located in Michigan. How do you expect the patient living in California to get the meds from the person growing it in Michigan? Or are they only using when they are in the state? If other states don't even recognize out of state cards, you think they are going to be able to link up and connect patients in Michigan through the California registry system and vice versa? MDCH is having a hard enough time keeping up with Michigan Patients, much less trying to verify and register out-of-state patients. I don't think "the same force and effect" is verbiage to allow for interstate transactions of this type. The person from California is just able to use their card in the same manner as a Michigan cardholder to protect themselves, not to have someone grow for them. The laws of each state are totally different. I have nothing against California Card Holders, you just arnt going to be growing for a California resident as part of the Michigan Medical Marihuna Program.

Greenlife, I did talk to Rae Ramsdell of the MDCH extensively about out of state card issues.

What I found out is this:

The California patient's card is considered to be the SAME as a Michigan card, regardless of residential status. So as a patient, a California card holder is fine while their card valid. Verification is not an issue because the California program has very simple 24hr verification system plainly printed on the card for need, as well as a photo.

For a California patient to name a Michigan caregiver, the only extra thing they may consider adding for additional weight is a Michigan State ID (not necessarily a drivers license) indicating a Michigan address, but this shouldn't be necessary. Copies of the CDPH card and ID along with caregiver status change (from being one's own caregiver to whomever as caregiver). Certainly a lot less expensive and less hassle than going through the entire recommendation and application nightmare that Michigan has going on now.

Cheers!

Meadow,

You posted three bits of misinformation on two separate issues

In this thread the question was asked:

Can a California patient have a Michigan Caregiver?

Yes, while a California patient is in Michigan their card is considered to have the same force and effect as a Michigan card, they can change their caregiver status from own caregiver to other caregiver, same as a Michigan patient.

To say The law only allows for out-of-staters who are cardholders to use/possess MM in the state of Michigan without fear of LEO. That person must get a MI card, before you could be their caregiver in Michigan legally.

Is flat out wrong, and by this line of thinking you would have every out of state cardholder sending new applications for a Michigan card. This wouldn't bog down an already overloaded system? As it stands out of state cards are completely recognized, if someone is going to be staying here for an extensive period of time (snowbirds are migrating back from Palm Springs as we speak, for example) a simple change of caregiver status is all they need, should they choose to designate one.

In order to be a caregiver for someone, they must be part of the MMMP, that is the Michigan MMP.

So, you are saying that anyone who applies for caregiver status has to already be in the MMMP? Not only does this make absolutely no sense, it is a completely different issue, not what the OP asked, and a non-issue at that.

For an out-of-state patient to be a Michigan caregiver, they need to have a Michigan address.

It is ridiculous to say that because someone has an out of state card they can not be a caregiver to a Michigan Patient. Patient status does not have ANY bearing on caregiver qualification.

The caregiver application form has MI pre-printed into the address section, and the only qualifications necessary for a caregiver is 21 years of age or older, no drug felonies.

No one said anything about interstate transactions. You brought it up. Interstate transactions are federal territory and Highly Risky and Illegal.

DT61:

Currently there are four reciprocity states: Michigan, Maine, Montana, and Rhode Island. Reciprocity means that these states recognize and honor the cards issued by other states who have a program. It does NOT mean one can trade freely amongst them, nor does it mean that only patients from reciprocity states can participate only in reciprocity states. Any patient from any of the 14 states, that have a program, can participate in these four states' programs.

Thank you Sterling for the info!!! I'm getting the paperwork together right now!!

Greenlife, I did talk to Rae Ramsdell of the MDCH extensively about out of state card issues.

What I found out is this:

The California patient's card is considered to be the SAME as a Michigan card, regardless of residential status. So as a patient, a California card holder is fine while their card valid. Verification is not an issue because the California program has very simple 24hr verification system plainly printed on the card for need, as well as a photo.

For a California patient to name a Michigan caregiver, the only extra thing they may consider adding for additional weight is a Michigan State ID (not necessarily a drivers license) indicating a Michigan address, but this shouldn't be necessary. Copies of the CDPH card and ID along with caregiver status change (from being one's own caregiver to whomever as caregiver). Certainly a lot less expensive and less hassle than going through the entire recommendation and application nightmare that Michigan has going on now.

Cheers!

Meadow,

You posted three bits of misinformation on two separate issues

In this thread the question was asked:

Can a California patient have a Michigan Caregiver?

Yes, while a California patient is in Michigan their card is considered to have the same force and effect as a Michigan card, they can change their caregiver status from own caregiver to other caregiver, same as a Michigan patient.

To say The law only allows for out-of-staters who are cardholders to use/possess MM in the state of Michigan without fear of LEO. That person must get a MI card, before you could be their caregiver in Michigan legally.

Is flat out wrong, and by this line of thinking you would have every out of state cardholder sending new applications for a Michigan card. This wouldn't bog down an already overloaded system? As it stands out of state cards are completely recognized, if someone is going to be staying here for an extensive period of time (snowbirds are migrating back from Palm Springs as we speak, for example) a simple change of caregiver status is all they need, should they choose to designate one.

In order to be a caregiver for someone, they must be part of the MMMP, that is the Michigan MMP.

So, you are saying that anyone who applies for caregiver status has to already be in the MMMP? Not only does this make absolutely no sense, it is a completely different issue, not what the OP asked, and a non-issue at that.

For an out-of-state patient to be a Michigan caregiver, they need to have a Michigan address.

It is ridiculous to say that because someone has an out of state card they can not be a caregiver to a Michigan Patient. Patient status does not have ANY bearing on caregiver qualification.

The caregiver application form has MI pre-printed into the address section, and the only qualifications necessary for a caregiver is 21 years of age or older, no drug felonies.

No one said anything about interstate transactions. You brought it up. Interstate transactions are federal territory and Highly Risky and Illegal.

DT61:

Currently there are four reciprocity states: Michigan, Maine, Montana, and Rhode Island. Reciprocity means that these states recognize and honor the cards issued by other states who have a program. It does NOT mean one can trade freely amongst them, nor does it mean that only patients from reciprocity states can participate only in reciprocity states. Any patient from any of the 14 states, that have a program, can participate in these four states' programs.

Archived