Mh / Hps Light Temp?

welj31

I had some one ask me this and I dont know the answer: what is a HEALTHY temp is for these lights (1000 watt MH/HPS cool tubes) when on?

Need the temp for the light its self Not the air exiting.

Thanks

If one is trying to asses the "health" of the light, a light meter might be a better gauge, but check the manufacturer for the data on what temperature that particular bulb usually burns at.

If one is trying to asses the "health" of the light, a light meter might be a better gauge, but check the manufacturer for the data on what temperature that particular bulb usually burns at.

When they arrived they had no paper work with them. And no brand name on them.

1000w HPS around 160-180*F is normal.

Mind you, these arent CORE temperatures at the element, they are bulb surface temperature... The element inside the bulb is usually MUCH hotter. Exactly how hot is very hard to determine.

But bulb temperature won't really tell you much and is hard to actually measure. A light meter would be a way better solution.

Held at equal distance under different bulbs will give you an idea of a "normal" range.

Home Depot and Lowes carries handheld temperature guns. Point, click, and bam, instant temp reading. Ryobi makes a decent one. I think it was around $40 and came with batteries.

Really the only way it would be running too hot is if you didn't have ANY ventilation at all. They will actually burst if they get too hot. It's always HIGHLY recommended to keep airflow over the bulb at all times during operation.

Remember, if you're using an air-cooled reflector to set your fan up to suck the air through the reflector and over the bulb. Don't blow through the reflector over the bulb and out as this is HIGHLY inefficient.

Best of luck!

Home Depot and Lowes carries handheld temperature guns. Point, click, and bam, instant temp reading. Ryobi makes a decent one. I think it was around $40 and came with batteries.

Really the only way it would be running too hot is if you didn't have ANY ventilation at all. They will actually burst if they get too hot. It's always HIGHLY recommended to keep airflow over the bulb at all times during operation.

Remember, if you're using an air-cooled reflector to set your fan up to suck the air through the reflector and over the bulb. Don't blow through the reflector over the bulb and out as this is HIGHLY inefficient.

Best of luck!

I was told that the fan should push the air thru the hood so heat wouldn't overheat fan.

I hate to say it but you were told wrong.

I mean, the logic behind it is true. So it's not entirely wrong. But essentially, most ventilation fans are designed to handle high temperatures from grow lights or other equipment. That's what they are designed for after all.

I hate to say it but you were told wrong.

I mean, the logic behind it is true. So it's not entirely wrong. But essentially, most ventilation fans are designed to handle high temperatures from grow lights or other equipment. That's what they are designed for after all.

Very interesting. You make valid points. I too was in fear of melting the plastic blades (HD/ 6 inch duct booster), but they are duct boosters. Thanks

Well 6" Duct boosters weren't exactly what I was referring to. lol...

Those are slightly different. Those aren't really built to exaust a grow room or cool a grow light. Those are designed to be a duct booster. The high heat may actually have an effect on them. However, if used properly the only damage I can see coming from using a duct-booster is reduced longevity.

I have personally used the exact same duct booster you're referring to, from Home Depot. I attached it on the very end of a 6" Cool-Tube reflector, as if it was part of the reflector (looked pretty cool, like a cool-tube with a built in 6" fan lol) and used flexible 6" ducting to create a completely sealed off light-ventilation system , sucking the air through it from a cooler source of air and ventilating out away from the grow area. The air inside the ventilation for the light never mixed with the air in the grow area.

However, I used it with only a 400w HPS. It worked very well!

The only way I can really see you melting the blades on one of those is if you used it on the end of a Cool-Tube, such as I did, with a much higher powered light. If you did that with a 1000w I would fear that the heat emitting from the lamp itself may in fact melt the plastic blades because it's so close to the bulb. But you shouldn't be using such a small fan for a 1000w bulb anyway.

Archived