Grand Rapids Police Find Weapons In Raid Of Licensed Medical Marijuana Caregiver, Fear Other Growers Are Stepping Beyond Law

I may be stupid but HOW THE HELL are the cops finding the CG's?

"We have to handle the situation as any other tip, which is kind of an unknown," DeWitt said. "We could be dealing with a lawful citizen or they may be a criminal taking advantage of the situation."

• 1 month later...

"The Kent Area Narcotics Enforcement Team says the problem is that Oom is not alone, they say four out of the five marijuana operations they've investigated have been in violation of the law."

Ok but is that "their view of legal" or "ours"?

LEO has said no MM card then your not legal even with paperwork.

Legal is legal. It isn't that tough. 12 plants is plenty for a single person, and I defy you to find a user/grower who can't really get by for him/herself with e.g. 8 vegs and 4 flowering. Maybe they want more, but it isn't too tough to read what is allowed.

As for "no card, no legal" if one actually reads the law clearly a card is a defense, but the significant part is the medical eval. since that under the 2nd part of the constitution (which is btw a higher protection than a 'law' since the legislature can't simply change the constitution) gives the same defenses/immunities.

If I had to guess, if someone took a reality poll, most growers (with or w/o card) probably are in violation. I bet failure to have a lock on the door is high and I wouldn't be surprised if 90% don't do that simple thing; I bet over 12 plants is usual; I bet more than 2 1/2 oz (under the "card" section of the constitutional amendment) is very common. And having loads of cash and loaded guns around loads of plants is just begging for legal problems, even if it is legal to have thousands of dollars and thousands of rounds just sitting around the old homestead. Maybe it is legal to have "I smoke pot" or "I sell meth" painted on a car, but perhaps one should not be terribly surprised that one is being pulled over for e.g. defective equipment/license plate lights or whatever. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it is common sense.

Maybe what med. mar. folks should consider is getting a $3 lock and using it; to keep enough around to maintain steady supply (under the 2nd part of the const. amendment), and to not have like 8 plants flowering and another 20 clones. We got a real gift with the Act and should live within it since it is easy to live within.

I think what I'm saying is that if we are reasonable we won't be convicted of a crime. And remember there is a real world of difference between an arrest (bad or not) and conviction.

If I had to take a wild stab at this, I would say that this guy is a drug dealer who went out and got a care givers card and passed himself off as a legal care giver (wolf in sheep's clothing).

Under the guise of a licensed grower this criminal was taking advantage of a situation that was designed to help sick people. I don't think he was even looking to be legal.

Unfortunately there will always be boneheads who will put personal gain above compassion for a fellow human being. Hopefully they get caught. But even if they do it will reflect badly upon the medical marijuana community. As long as law enforcment puts a spin on it.

Not a lot depresses me, but things like this come close. How do you fight it?

Archived