Caregiver Question

Miracle Man

Hello all,

I came across this site while doing some research and I'm hoping someone can answer a question for me.

Some info on me, I was a life long resident of Michigan before moving to FL 5 years ago.

While I was visiting Michigan this past weekend I was approached by someone who knows of three patients that are in need of a caregiver. In reading the Michigan law, it states that to be a patient you must be a resident of Michigan (obviously) but it does not stipulate that a caregiver must be. If I had a location in Michigan to set up a grow operation, do I need to change my residency back to Michigan or can I remain a FL resident and still be a caregiver there? Growing meds would be a perfect compliment to my current hobby and I would be able to provide these patients a little more comfort than maybe some others can.

Any help would be appreciated as I really don't want to change my residency (not having to pay state income tax is a wonderful thing).

Thanks in advance,

MM

Its a State program and you must be a resident of Michigan to participate.

If Michigan were to authorize a FL resident to grow for an MI patient it would become a Federal issue

Sorry....

Move home, get in the program and help the Michigan economy recover with MMJ

If Michigan were to authorize a FL resident to grow for an MI patient it would become a Federal issue

Sorry....

Thank you for your reply although it certainly isn't the answer I was hoping for.

It's easy to say just become a resident again but it has to make economic sense to me before I could do this. I wouldn't be trying to make huge profits, but the operation has to at least cover my expenses. Adding a 4% tax on my income in addition to the cost of equipment, supplies, electricity etc. makes it that much harder unless I charged what I am reading is the going rate for meds up there ($400 - $500 / oz) which I find to be extremely distasteful. The whole point of MMJ to me is to allow people who really need these meds to get them without having to spend huge amounts of money.

My next question is does the 2.5 oz per patient rule apply to the caregiver also? A properly set up room with 12 plants per patient should produce far more than 2.5 oz / month / patient. If I were able to sell any extra I have to a dispensary this would more than cover expenses (and probably allow me to provide for my patients at no cost to them) but I have no intention of being anything other than 100% compliant with the law, the last thing I want or need to is have the cops busting down my door.

Thank you again for the information.

MM

EDIT: I am reading in other posts that selling extra to a dispensary is a gray area. I guess I need to wait for the laws to be clarified before I do anything.

Sorry....

Re-populate Detroit..!!

Actually I would think that you could be a part time resident if you wished just like the snowbirds. Many have dual drivers licenses, homes, taxes, and if I may recall, grows!

In my opinion though like the others, move home and help us turn this crappy state around!

Thank you for your reply although it certainly isn't the answer I was hoping for.

It's easy to say just become a resident again but it has to make economic sense to me before I could do this. I wouldn't be trying to make huge profits, but the operation has to at least cover my expenses. Adding a 4% tax on my income in addition to the cost of equipment, supplies, electricity etc. makes it that much harder unless I charged what I am reading is the going rate for meds up there ($400 - $500 / oz) which I find to be extremely distasteful. The whole point of MMJ to me is to allow people who really need these meds to get them without having to spend huge amounts of money.

My next question is does the 2.5 oz per patient rule apply to the caregiver also? A properly set up room with 12 plants per patient should produce far more than 2.5 oz / month / patient. If I were able to sell any extra I have to a dispensary this would more than cover expenses (and probably allow me to provide for my patients at no cost to them) but I have no intention of being anything other than 100% compliant with the law, the last thing I want or need to is have the cops busting down my door.

Thank you again for the information.

MM

EDIT: I am reading in other posts that selling extra to a dispensary is a gray area. I guess I need to wait for the laws to be clarified before I do anything.

yea you have to live in MI, or at least have an adress in MI! its on the app the patient sends in to appoint you, you have to provide an adress in MI, and they run a back ground check on you. Ive heard of peeps using p.o boxes so they dont put down the adress of their grow!

Peace!

F T W

Jim

My operation would be based in Michigan and I would commute as needed to to take care of it so having a Michigan address would not be a problem. If that's all that's needed I would be good to go!

I'm pretty sure people are not allowed to hold State ID's from 2 separate states, I know when I moved down here I had to surrender my Michigan ID before they would give me a FL ID.

I spent most of my life in Metro Detroit and when people down here ask where I am from I say Detroit but to actually live in the city limits? Ehh, no thanks.

Michigan will always be home but after 5 winters down here I don't think I would ever want to spend another one in the cold. I may have become a wimp in my old age but 75 degrees and sunny in Feb. sure doesn't suck!

Thanks again for your replies, I'll get this thing figured eventually!

You will have to be a Michigan resident with a Michigan ID. Thanks to records going online and states having reciprocity you can't have two licenses. If you have more questions Id suggest you call Attorney M. Komorn, he is a board member of the MMMA who can answer any ?'s you may have and honestly despite what any of the rest of us here say, know or think we know its not worth a salt when it comes down to it as only a lawyer can tell you how the courts work as he is in them fighting for our rights every day. C'mon home and help Michigan recover through MMJ. MANY patients here and not enough quality, experienced CGs out there, the good ones fill up FAST

Archived