Yet Another Grow Room Question

Les

Hi everybody.

I have a small barn that was previously used as a 'mother in-law house'. Interior dimensions are about 13' X 28' and 8' to the bottom of the rafters. There is a small room in the back corner, I believe it was a bathroom, about 7' X 7'. It is a very tall, gabled roof, probably 18' or so to the peak in the ceiling.

It has tons of electrical outlets, has a spigot right outside, and even an old plugged toilet flange in the floor to use for a drain. It's also insulated, and has a wall furnace installed (not that heat will be an issue).

I'd like to set up my grow room in there, it's only used for junk storage currently. It has a concrete floor with a layer of old, cheap, very thin carpeting. Some water got in a year ago before I replaced the roof, so there has been some mold out there. Also, I think there may be flying squirrels living under the roof.

I'm guessing that framing in a sealed area for growing purposed would be a good idea. I'm not opposed to using that Bubble fella's tote hydro setup I've seen here.

Unsure as to whether or not I need to be worried about odor. My closest neighbor is about 200'+ away through some pretty think woods. The barn in question is only about 40' from my driveway, though. Wouldn't want the mail carrier or visitors getting a whiff. Maybe vent up through that high roof??

Any and all advice is much appreciated. My 21 days are up pretty soon, and I have a couple of patients as well. I'd like to do this properly from the get-go

Vent thru the roof for sure! Or a possibly scrub air into that big attic to help control winter temps through the building.

Get rid of that carpet and use the concrete floors. That toilet drain is awesome! You could easily pump water to something like that!

The sealing of the room is for 'climate' controling. Best way to go imho.

You do have a lot of options! Feel free to PM me. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply!

No attic whatsoever. . . there are bare rafters at 8', and nothing above that until the ceiling approximately 10' above those. The ceiling is shaped like this /-\, if you get my drift. It's way the hell up there. Nice thing about that is how cool it stays in there even on hot summer days.

Thanks again, I'll probably be bugging you in future. I need an idea of what to build and buy in the next couple of weeks. Maybe I'll post a diagram of the layout. It's pretty much a perfect setup. To quote Borat, "I am very excite!".

"me very excite for you"

You can seal a room pretty easily. After all your power is ran...I would say use the interlocking clips and hang some 1/2 osb (3/4 if you want to go that extra mile). Tape the seems exactly like you would drywall, insulate, and paint it white. Also you might want to consider framing the walls between the osb and the rafters. It will make a much easier transistion if you were ever to take the walls down.

1/2" Osb is 'roughly' the same price as drywall and you can hang anything anywhere.

I'm a big advocate for finding a use for all that heat your light(s) are about to generate. You could use it to heat the lab, another room, an attic, Ive even seen it hooked up to an actual furnace! Still have yet to try it tho. Hopefully this winter!

Include some things like power locations, windows, doors, water source / drain, etc. Maybe some pics?

Archived