Looking For Input On Phenotypes

I could use some knowledgeable assistance.

I am very interested to know how many different female phenotypes you get on average from different strains from a 10 pack of seeds.

What I am getting at is this.

I germinated 5 of my 10 Dr. Atomic Blueberry Jam seeds. I ended up getting 4 female phenotypes. After harvesting and drying the buds, each of the four had a different look and taste. You would never know that they were the same strain. Only one ended up being a keeper in my opinion, which was the only one that was the same as the description from the seed company.

Now with the TGA Querkle I only germinated two seeds and one of the two was female so I only sampled one phenotype of that strain. (Maybe I should be checking for other phenotypes of Querkle?)

I have grown many different strains from bag seed, but have not grown many different designer seed strains with phenotypes.

On the other hand, is it just the Dr. Atomic strains that have a wide variety of phenotypes? Does this occur with other breeders strains?

I just don't have enough experience with the designer seeds to know what is the norm.

So, on your 10 pack of seeds, how many phenotypes and how much did they vary from each other? Also, what was the strain?

Any input would be most appreciated.

:thumbsu:

Well since I'm def no expert i couldn't give you a scientific explanation but here's my thoughts: depending on what kind of seeds they are (F1,F2,etc,or some landrace strain) its hard to tell.Normally when a breeder releases a strain to the public it should be a stable hybrid or pure strain.They should have bred all the bad traits or unwanted phenos out leaving what should be a fairly consistent plant.Dr Atomic i do believe sells F2 s which is what happens when you cross 2 pure strains(someone please correct me if i'm wrong). All i know is when i grow out a pack of seeds i pick the phenos i like best,whether its flavor,yield,smell,resin,and then go with that. C88xC99 didnt have a lot of phenos,one skiny leaf and one fatter leaf but both tasted the same. Cherry Bomb only has 2 phenos i know of: one short variety and one tall one,both completely different.IMO the more phenos a variety has the less stable the plant will be,not to say it wont be great meds. I just like a consistent plant i can count on with no surprises.

Thank you.

Looks like you know more than I do about this subject.

I would like to hear from others too as to what strains they have ran into with many phenotypes.

Quite frankly, I do not have the time to go through many to find one.

Maybe it is new jargon, but if you don't mind what is the meaning to F1, F2, and landrace? I have heard all mentioned here and there, just never really looked into it.

Also, does anyone have a phenotype opinion regarding feminized seed?

Maybe I was just unlucky with the Dr. Atomic. Maybe they are not top quality breeders?

:unsure:

I never grew Dr.Atomic but heard good things about some of their lines, Dynamite and a few others.

I stay away from fem seeds,too many hermie issues.

To make quality seeds breeders need large plots to grow many plants,thus picking from a larger pheno pool.

I'll try to post a few links as far as F1,F2,and landraces.Also click on the bottom link in my profile,it shows how real breeding was done in the day. lol

My link

My link

Thanks again, I appreciate your assistance.

Now I have a better understanding. I feel smarter already!

I know now what they mean about "pollen tossers" too.

I will pay much closer attention to the F1 strains, those seem to be more stable.

I have some feminized seeds that were freebies, but I hesitated to try to grow them because of what I had read about the hermie issue.

:bow:

very informational, seems to me f2 might have a lot hermapherdite traits?

Depends on the parents, i had a lot of success with F2s from British Columbia Seed Co. They told you up front they were F2s.

If one of the parents has issues with hermies, that trait will be passed on.

When two stable strains are crossed the result is an F1 hybrid. F2s occur when F1s interbreed. Stable strains like Skunk #1 or Northern Lights should have fewer phenotypes. They reproduce more or less reliably through seed.

With hybrids like Querkle you are necessarily going to get a range of phenotypes combining characteristics of both parents in different ratios. Some will lean towards one parent and some will lean towards the other and others will be balanced between the two. Some (all?) of TGA's strains are polyhybrids like Jack the Ripper. In that case with a hybrid x another hybrid there are probably exponentially more variations. What is Querkle? purple urkle x space queen

Purple Urkel:

Purple Urkel is a clone-only strain that seems to be the rage among medical clubs and cannabis connoisseurs. Danny Danko asked me to do some research on the popular strain and report on our current project using an Urkel clone mother. Purple Urkel is known for growing somewhat slowly, but its other traits make it very desirable. It turns an amazing purple late in bloom, possesses the most amazing grape/lavender flavor and gives a nice strong stone. But where did it come from?

Purple Urkel or Humboldt Purple (a.k.a. Purple Urple) has been growing in southern Humboldt County since approximately 1989. The Mendo cats are responsible for renaming it “Lavender,” among several other names. A good friend, White Trash Redneck, has grown the Mendocino Lavender cut side by side with the Humboldt Purple Urple/Urkel—as well as the Bridgeville Black Afghan, Nepalese Purple, Pakistani Purple Kush and Tooty Fruity Purple—and he swears they’re all the same cut, renamed.

White Trash Redneck also went on to tell me that the Humboldt Purple cut seems to be an old-school IBL, or Inbred Line, making it ideal for use in breeding projects. He’s bred more than 20 Urkel hybrids and has been impressed with all of them. I’ve discovered quite a few other Purples that are likely the same cut as well, going by such names as Garberville Purple Kush (a.k.a. Swerve’s Cut), Mendocino PK and Kyle Kushman’s PK. An Internet source I’ll leave unnamed says about Kyle’s PK:

Kyle Kushman’s “Purple Kush” is the plant that made Kushman famous after a photograph of the Kush made the cover of the New York Times Magazine about 12 years ago.The magazine is not a weed-centric publication, and the article stated how much real money is made by indoor gardening based on black-market forces and the technology that was in place then (grow lights, seeds, hydro systems, etc). In the article the grower (presumably Kyle) states that the plant was found in a group of Northern Lights x Purple Indica seeds. Kyle was living out east at the time and soon became a writer for HIGH TIMES.

I would assume that the Mendocino and Garberville versions are the exact same, as this is prime herb-growing country here in North Cali, and it would be really easy for one grower to give a clone to another fellow grower. The Emerald Triangle (Humboldt, Mendocino and Trinity Counties) is known for the quantity of MJ it produces, both indoor and outdoor.

So an inbred line that should deliver certain characteristics more or less reliably crossed with Space Queen. And what is that? Romulan x C99. So the father being a hybrid itself adds to the number of phenotypes when crossed with the Purple Urkel.

Space Queen was the only reason I invested in C99 in the first place. Ever since I heard the description of Soul's princess I knew her and Romulan would be the perfect match. Then prototype crosses between P75 and Romberry started pumping out the winners that have found keeper status in many select gardens. Each of these keepers exhibit a blend of C99 and Romulan characteristics. Space Queen is a Romulan/C99 hybrid. Flavour and potency are sure things, both parents are known for their high potency and great highs. Lemon, pine, and pineapple all swirl in a pungent bouquet to tantalize your taste buds!! Vigour will be outstanding and you'll be able to cut back on the light intensity somewhat Flowering time will be comparable to Romberry, averaging 8 weeks depending on grower and grow environment. Yield will be above average, but she won't be a top production plant. I hope she puts a smile on a few faces.

Blueberry Jam is "the current version" of Northern Lights x Blueberry so pretty basic cross there. Who knows if they inbred it or outcrossed it or what though.

Mighty u have any input and Jacks Cleaner F 2 seeds.

I would expect wild variation between Skunk #1, Northern Lights #5 and Haze contributed by the Jack Herer confounded with the "Cleaner" parent having Pluton, Lamb's Bread, Purple Haze and Northern Lights. Could be some amazing specimens arising from reshuffling the deck with the F2's.

Nice info MMMez. I am doing the same right now with 4 Super Lemon Haze seeds and 3 of my Vanillia Kush seeds. I cracked them got 4 or 3 respectively nice females. the SLH phenos are all pretty similar but the Van Kush phenos are totally diff from each other. one is Dk. Green and indica looking, another is a light green similar indica looking one and the 3rd is twice as tall, grows twice as fast and is crazy looking. i am flowering them all out now and gonna do the smoke taste to choose the right mom.

let me know if you have any info on any of these phenos.

I am looking to keep my line of Cherry Bomb going,thats why i am going to pick the best male out of my NL5xK2 and cross it to the CB.Then grow those seeds out and cross a male to a clone of the original CB.How many times should i do that until i have a stable version of CB? Thats how Soul stabilzed C99 if i'm not mistaken,and every version before P50, P75, and P88 were very good as well.

The reason i am using NL5 is its lack of variation,every plant looks the same just about and its super potent. The CB grows tall like a california indica with airy haze type of buds, smells like cat tinkle,super potent as well(Jack Herer x California indica is the offical makeup of CB)

Any input or help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have experience with any of these except maybe NL#5, but it sounds like you guys know what you are doing. Find the best phenotypes and propagate them basically.

I have a Sour Bubble that is exceptional in it's growth pattern, vigor and smell. Don't know if it is male or female yet, but I think it is a girl. It has tiny growths that look like calyxes. No white hairs yet, but if it is female I'll be stoked. I think it is the Sour Lime pheno that is like BOG's clone mom.

I’ve been seeing a lot of posts from people asking for the “Cinderella Story”, so here it is:

In 1997, I discovered a few seeds in a bud of Jack Herer I bought @ “Sensi Smile” coffeeshop in Amsterdam while there to buy seeds. I didn’t expect much when I grew them, but one of those seeds from the JH bud produced a very special female that I call “Princess”.

Therefore Princess’ mother was a Jack Herer (IF we can believe what Sensi Smile printed on the package) and her father is a totally unidentified mystery plant.

I also got 2 more females (Genius & Cafe’Girl) & several males from those seeds. I used pollen from one of the males on a heavy-yielding, dense, resinous ShivaSkunk (from Sensi Seedbank) female, then grew the resulting seeds to get males to produce pollen to cross Princess with, beginning the cubing process.

The first generation of seeds from Princess were called P.50 because they were 50% Princess. I used males from the P.50 generation to back-cross to Princess to get P.75 and again back-crossed with the P.75 pollen to get P.88 and again with the P.88 pollen to get P.94 which is “Cinderella 99″, a cubed version of Princess.

http://highboldtage.wordpress.com/2010/01/18/c99-cinderella-99-cindy-99-brothers-grimm/

edit, i looked it up

I could use some knowledgeable assistance.

I am very interested to know how many different female phenotypes you get on average from different strains from a 10 pack of seeds.

What I am getting at is this.

I germinated 5 of my 10 Dr. Atomic Blueberry Jam seeds. I ended up getting 4 female phenotypes. After harvesting and drying the buds, each of the four had a different look and taste. You would never know that they were the same strain. Only one ended up being a keeper in my opinion, which was the only one that was the same as the description from the seed company.

Now with the TGA Querkle I only germinated two seeds and one of the two was female so I only sampled one phenotype of that strain. (Maybe I should be checking for other phenotypes of Querkle?)

I have grown many different strains from bag seed, but have not grown many different designer seed strains with phenotypes.

On the other hand, is it just the Dr. Atomic strains that have a wide variety of phenotypes? Does this occur with other breeders strains?

I just don't have enough experience with the designer seeds to know what is the norm.

So, on your 10 pack of seeds, how many phenotypes and how much did they vary from each other? Also, what was the strain?

Any input would be most appreciated.

:thumbsu:

GG I am soo done with TGA his Querkle did not PURP up at all. ANd i know how to grow....I think TGA sent in some bunk seeds or he outright lied about his specs on his gear. I mean if they said it was supposed to Purp and never did that was a major misleading. If you try any of cannaCopia's beans you WILL BE VERY happy not a huge yielder but a great smokers smoke.

Archived