Flower Room Of Death

BrownThumb

So my first grow was going great. Had 3 large bushes (3-4' tall) in 5 gallon pots that sat in the veg room too long. They were happy and healthy under a 400 watt metal halide. When I switched them over to flower, they all started going south within days (see pictures). I'm now two weeks into flower and they are tanking. Here's the details:

- Temps are running between 70 and 80. There were a few days last week when it hit 86 for a few hours, but I've since gotten them under control.

- Humidity is running lower than I'd like, in the 30% range.

- They are in soil, 3 parts FFOF to 1 part Sunshine mix aggregate

- Fed in veg with FloroNova Grow, now using FloroNova Bloom. Also adding Hygrozyme once a week, and a little Cal-Mag every month.

- Cannot see any sign of critters.

- All water and solutions have been ph'd around 6.5

To make it more annoying , I threw 3 smaller plants (18") in a week ago, and now *they* are showing the same symptoms: leaves start losing color, then eventually necrosis sets in. The affected leaves vary by strain; some are randomly dispersed throughout the plant, but most are older, lower leaves.

Bud production is still solid, but I'm worried that I won't have any leaves left on the plant by week 6 of flower. I've already stumped 2 other growers. Please help a brother out before I lose my entire crop!

post-14417-029804500 1282269767_thumb.jpg

post-14417-000826100 1282269803_thumb.jpg

post-14417-051590600 1282269820_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, I don't normally check the pH of the runoff water. I assumed that since the FFOF was in the 6.5 range and all of my nutes & solutions were, too, that I'd be OK. I'll check today and report back. If its nute lockout, why wouldn't it have showed earlier in the veg room? Also, I don't have a TDS meter (never thought I'd need one as a dirt grower). Let me go downstairs and take some readings.

OK, I checked the runoff water from the 3 newest plants and they’re between 6.55-6.7. I can’t check the runoff from the 3 older ones, as they just got transplanted from 5 gallon buckets into 10 gallon Smartpots yesterday morning. If I try to check runoff now, it will be an average of the old soil and the new soil.

I have not used dolomite lime. I checked the Cal-Mag schedule and there is no link between feedings and problems, i.e. some showed problems 2 days or 3 weeks after a dose.

I picked up a humidifier yesterday, so that problem should be solved within 24 hours. Thanks for the suggestions

honestly it just looks like they r old leaves u said it vegd a long time .. for precaution sake run a clearing solution through it and continue as normal... pick off all the ones that look bad... go a lil lighter with nutes

I would be OK if it was just old, tired leaves falling off. But that doesn't explain the 3 newer plants that just went in 7 days ago and which are starting to show the same symptoms.

The owner of my hydro store suggested a bacterium. He said that he's heard similar complaints from a half dozen clients all in the last week. He admitted that bacteria was a speculative guess, but he couldn't come up with anything else other than nute lock, but he knew I was pretty anal about checking my solutions' pH. Fungus/wilt/etc. seems unlikely due to the low humidity.

Brown thumb the problem is the ocean forest i guarantee!!! I only made a 50/50 mix with this stuff and pro mix, but my seedlings hated it! When I transplanted again same buring, discoloration etc. Problems I had never had in almost ten years! Its just so strong in nutrients, plants dont want that much. This was my first time trying OF and it really should be used sparingly. Do a search for mm problems, burning etc...EVERY ONE I'VE SEEN ONLINE STARTS OFF WITH OCEAN FOREST!!! In a post from the winter someone said that foxfarm uses a North Carolina? manufacturer to supply the east coast now and its a different bark than normal?

What you have to do is flush those girls immediately! a couple gallons through each pot and have a bucket or some way to collect the runoof or just take em to the tub...check that nasty yellow runoff, wtf is that !!! they will immediately perk up and turn lush green again within just a day or 2. Forget the bs about nutients deficiencies and ph and all that is for hydroponic fanatics. Peace.

So the consensus seems to be... well, there is no consensus. Nute lock, not enough nutes, FFOF is too full of nutes. Since the pH is solid, I'll have to work with the other options, although they are opposites. I'll try a flush and see where they go from there.

Mememe: was your suggestion for 2 _cups_ of peroxide with 15 gallons? And waht strength (%) peroxide are you using?

2c 3% peroxide to 15 gal water.

Being a powerful oxidizer, hydrogen peroxide kills bacteria, viruses and fungi on surfaces & supplies oxygen to the root zone.

A few more questions

1. How often are they being watered

2. what is the temp of the water and the soil

3. are you on a well or citywater

Several possibilities hun...

Rootbound (planters too small??) If so-- replant!

Overfed/not flushed between veg & bloom period...??

Flush with at least a couple gallons of plain old water per plant, followed by 1 quart of pH adjusted water with your nutes at 1/4 rate and a sparse pinch of Epsom salts.

OR--just has too much vegetation on them and not enough air-flow.

Trim them out-- remove all "sucker" branches the grow from major nodes and go "in" toward the center of the plant-- do not remove more than 1/3 of the plant-- and remove the most vegetation from the bottom 1/2 of the plants... even if it mean removing the 2-4 bottom branches... do not remove mains, or a lot of fan-leaves....

but the lower stuff and "suckers" just waste her energy and will make for a weaker plant.

Keep an oscillating fan going at all times!

Also-- MANY plants need extra "N" early in flower, then again in week 5 of full bloom... never hurts to give em a feed of veg-nutes week 1 of 12/12 then again when in actual bloom-mode around week 4 or 5.

:thumbsu:

I am pretty sure its not rootbound or airflow issues....

It's a nutrient problem, looks like to much micro's calcium/magnesium/iron/sulpher or not enough macronutrients and they are just hungry. If the plants are all fine untill bloom and the only thing you change is nutes then It would lead me to believe your problems are caused my excess or not enough salts in the soil.

just my opinion im no expert

Brown thumb the problem is the ocean forest i guarantee!!! I only made a 50/50 mix with this stuff and pro mix, but my seedlings hated it! When I transplanted again same buring, discoloration etc. Problems I had never had in almost ten years! Its just so strong in nutrients, plants dont want that much. This was my first time trying OF and it really should be used sparingly. Do a search for mm problems, burning etc...EVERY ONE I'VE SEEN ONLINE STARTS OFF WITH OCEAN FOREST!!! In a post from the winter someone said that foxfarm uses a North Carolina? manufacturer to supply the east coast now and its a different bark than normal?

What you have to do is flush those girls immediately! a couple gallons through each pot and have a bucket or some way to collect the runoof or just take em to the tub...check that nasty yellow runoff, wtf is that !!! they will immediately perk up and turn lush green again within just a day or 2. Forget the bs about nutients deficiencies and ph and all that is for hydroponic fanatics. Peace.

i agree same thing here.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I believe what you are encountering is a bout with 'Late Blight'. Check this out I just found from MSU. It happens to tomatoes and potatoes, Im assuming it also affects Cannabis too.

My advice start removing the damaged leaves, if possible. Run your flowers as long as you can. Keep an eye out (Big Time) for mold on buds, If caught in time just remove damaged portion if possible else remove entire bud. Dont leave infected stuff around your grow area. Mop all spills, dont leave water on floors etc. Soon as you harvest break everything down and clean everything.

http://pestid.msu.edu/Portals/0/Factsheets/lateblight_4page.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

I used fox farms OF and nutes my first grow and had 0 problems. Used miracle grow when vegging! The plants were fine.I wouldnt use Ocean floor right out of the gate, but for flowering man I loved the results

Your best bet is to flush for 2 days straight, then just give it normal water for the rest of the week and let the plant bounce back.....there is your solution....

your problem, could be anything listed so far.....Not enough macro nutes, not enough light to get to the bottom leafs, root bound, could be anything...

for me all things like cal/mag are only used 3 weeks before finish....then I flush...but thats just me....

good luck in finding whats wrong....

Archived