Busted With Over 150 Plants! (Wdiv.com)

TMofo

Intresting story on Channel 4: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/25182902/detail.html

FERNDALE, Mich. -- Police said a barking dog led them to discover a large illegal marijuana grow operation in the basement of a Ferndale home.

More than 150 pot plants, including growing lights and a watering system, were found in the basement of a home on the 400 block of West Chesterfield Road, police said.

Neighbors complaining of the incessant barking called police around 4 a.m.

The barking dog was found in the back yard, and when Ferndale police knocked on the door, the homeowner did not respond, they said.

Police said they went around the house and noticed an open door and entered the home because they feared the homeowner could have been in need of help.

Once inside, officers said they saw a grocery bag partially filled with marijuana and the 44-year-old homeowner sleeping on the couch.

Officers said the man agreed to allow them to search the home. Officers confiscated the marijuana and a handgun.

The man was not arrested, but the case will be turned over to the Oakland County prosecutor's office.

While I am not a proponent of LEO entering anybody's house unannounced, I don't fault them in this case. How many times have we seen stories where a dog has alerted somebody to come help their owner when that owner was hurt or otherwise in need of assistance? Heck, some dogs are trained just for that purpose. If I was a police officer and responded to a home where a dog was in the yard barking its butt off and nobody answered the door, I'd probably check to see if it was "open", too, and if it was, I'd check to see if everybody in the home was alright. That's kind of their job. If the guy had 150 plants in his house and didn't want anybody to know they were there, he should have let the dog in after it was done taking a tinkle. Just sayin'. If you're gonna fall asleep after letting your barking dog out and shoving a bunch of ganga in a bag, you can't be suprised when these kind of things happen. Even if this guy has a card, he's a few plants over the limit.

While I am not a proponent of LEO entering anybody's house unannounced, I don't fault them in this case. How many times have we seen stories where a dog has alerted somebody to come help their owner when that owner was hurt or otherwise in need of assistance? Heck, some dogs are trained just for that purpose. If I was a police officer and responded to a home where a dog was in the yard barking its butt off and nobody answered the door, I'd probably check to see if it was "open", too, and if it was, I'd check to see if everybody in the home was alright. That's kind of their job. If the guy had 150 plants in his house and didn't want anybody to know they were there, he should have let the dog in after it was done taking a tinkle. Just sayin'. If you're gonna fall asleep after letting your barking dog out and shoving a bunch of ganga in a bag, you can't be suprised when these kind of things happen. Even if this guy has a card, he's a few plants over the limit.

True, if he did have his card maybe he was making sure he would have a "uninterrupted supply" ;)

Something about this whole story doesn't sit right. Cops arrive on a noise complaint. Cops find 150 plants (violation of maximum) through an unlocked door (violation of "secure, locked facility"), sees the guy has a partially filled bag of MJ (violation likely of over 2.5oz, possibly over the 10oz maximum), and within 1/2mile of a playground and then he was NOT arrested or held for further questioning nor was his name released?

Something fishy. I think I know someone (who is for certain not involved) that lives near there. Gonna put some feelers out to see if this is a real story or if it's not the whole story.

News reports the suspect was not a card holder or caregiver so those rules do not apply to him.

My point is he violated all of those parts of the MMJ law even if he were a CG. If he was NOT a CG and had no quasi-legal authority to hold a gram, authorized a search of the house, and was told "have a nice night, we'll call you later?"

News reports the suspect was not a card holder or caregiver so those rules do not apply to him.

The A.D is his defense as long as he qualifys to be a patient. or is waiting for a whole lot of cards to be c.g!!

folks this is going on in way more places than you mite think! the only prob now is mm is brought into it when ever some one that is not registered gets popped, they are (leo) is out to make us all look bad!

People do have outside dogs, that never come in the house, they had no warrant or reasonable cause to take the weed!

a good attny should get that all to go away! but now he is on their radar!

Peace

FTW

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I got the scoop on this. Turns out the news story is pretty accurate and the guy was NOT a CG or Patient. But none of the nearby neighbors admit to calling the cops on the dog. So my best guess is that the LEO knew/suspected there was growing going on, heard his dog barking, and called in an "anonymous noise complaint" and walked right in to the dude passed out on the couch. What still baffles me is that he consented to a search.

Archived