War On Drugs Losing 18 Billion $ A Year!

The cost of running the 'War on Drugs' still increases with very little results for the money spent.

Soon we will have to make serious choices about where our tax dollars go.

The things such as our schools, roads and health care can not be denied or delayed much longer.

With fewer jobs and little prospect for new ones tax money is becoming scarce but our 'politicians' keep right on spending.

And the 'new' money will have to come from somewhere.

http://blog.mpp.org/tax-and-regulate/new-cato-report-marijuana-prohibition-costs-almost-18-billion-a-year/09282010/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogmpp+%28MPP+Blog%29

Also, there are additional bonuses, as those who were formerly sentenced to life on harmful and deadly prescription drugs will now be able to lead more productive lives, earning more income, paying more taxes, making this world a better place. I would say that the cost gain here is priceless. :rolleyes:

This was never a war against drugs, in my opinion. It has always been at it's core a war against free people perpetrated by those who hate individual human rights. That is why it is a never ending war, with no real end in sight. Unless "We, the People" decide to end it.

Just sayin...

This was never a war against drugs, in my opinion. It has always been at it's core a war against free people perpetrated by those who hate individual human rights. That is why it is a never ending war, with no real end in sight. Unless "We, the People" decide to end it.

Just sayin...

Amen brother, our little battle is part of a much larger war. I've had some fun lately starting conversations with this question: "Who owns you?", and then exploring the implications of whatever answer arises.

From the article Greenbuddha linked to:

“About half of the budgetary improvement from legalization is due to reduced criminal justice expenditures. But for this component of the impact to show up in government budgets, policymakers would have to lay off police, prosecutors, prison guards, and the like. Because such a move would be politically painful, it may not occur. It is certainly true that reduced expenditure on enforcing drug prohibition can still be beneficial if those criminal justice resources are re-deployed to better uses, but that outcome is difficult to achieve.”

How about that for a real kick in the pants? "Why bother with legalization, we'll never close the prisons and fire the police anyway, and therefore won't save any money".

Archived