What Should Michigan About Dispensaries?

greenbuddha

Should we do 'anything'?

Would non-profit dispensaries overseen by the State be a good thing as long as 'patients' could get their 'meds' at a good price without taxes added to the cost?

Remember, 'legalization' for 'public' use is a totally different set of issues, if or when that might come about.

This question is related 'only' to the possible ways a 'patients' might be able to obtain his / her meds.

http://norml.org/

Should we do anything when it comes to dispensaries? I am not sure. I am definitely against State run anything. However, I might be inclined to allow for state inspections of dispensaries (aka medical marijuana pharmacies), depending on the criteria and purposes for that kind of regulatory oversight.

My worries are more that any attempts to regulate such establishments, would also unintentionally (perhaps intentionally) limit patients and caregivers and their private transactions.

I think state run dispenseries would be a terrible idea. There wouldn't be any reasonsably priced meds since the dispenseries would be seen as money making venture for the state. Once the legislature saw that there was money that could be funneled into the general budget the dispenseries would no longer be there to help people in need and instead become streams of revenue. Look at what the state has done with the taxation of cigarettes. The state continues to raise the taxes on cigarettes so that they can continue to pump money into the general fund. I realize that cigarettes are not the same as cannabis but it's the idea that anytime the state gets involved in making money things get messed up.

Private businesses and non-profits can run dispenseries without the state getting directly involved. An example model would be how the state doesn't run liquor stores but they requlate, tax, and enforce the laws related to the operations of those liquor stores.

I think state run dispenseries would be a terrible idea. There wouldn't be any reasonsably priced meds since the dispenseries would be seen as money making venture for the state. Once the legislature saw that there was money that could be funneled into the general budget the dispenseries would no longer be there to help people in need and instead become streams of revenue. Look at what the state has done with the taxation of cigarettes. The state continues to raise the taxes on cigarettes so that they can continue to pump money into the general fund. I realize that cigarettes are not the same as cannabis but it's the idea that anytime the state gets involved in making money things get messed up.

Private businesses and non-profits can run dispenseries without the state getting directly involved. An example model would be how the state doesn't run liquor stores but they requlate, tax, and enforce the laws related to the operations of those liquor stores.

I was wondering though, if MMJ IS a medication COULD it be taxed by the State if the State were to allow licensed non-profits to run the dispensaries?

No other 'medications' can be taxed in Michigan.

I was wondering though, if MMJ IS a medication COULD it be taxed by the State if the State were to allow licensed non-profits to run the dispensaries?

No other 'medications' can be taxed in Michigan.

I don't think they could do it as a "sales" type of tax... it would probably be done as an operating tax, that would of course still be passed on to the consumer, as all taxes and fees are.

I would also implore folks to stop comparing this medicine to things like alcohol, they are 2 different classes of animals. Thanks. :)

I don't think they could do it as a "sales" type of tax... it would probably be done as an operating tax, that would of course still be passed on to the consumer, as all taxes and fees are.

I would also implore folks to stop comparing this medicine to things like alcohol, they are 2 different classes of animals. Thanks. :)

There was no comparison of alcohol vs. cannabis. I was simply referring to how the state could regulate dispenseries. Would you have preferred that I used the example of how the state regulates pharmacies or doctors or better yet McDonalds? Maybe you would have been more comfortable if I had compared it to how the state regulates hunting and fishing.

If the state were to regulate dispenseries they would look at the models they already have in place to monitor a business. The qualities of requlation that they would be looking for are the same no matter what we are talking about...quality and safety (e.g. presense of mold on the cannabis, demonstration of record keeping, etc.).

There will be a point in time when this 'separation' and 'distinction' between 'Medical Marijuana' and 'legalized cannabis use' by the general public will have to be made just as it is going to be made this November 2nd in California.

Eventually after the so called 'gray areas' are removed from the MMJ law those that will not be able to qualify for MMJ use as 'patients' will have to seek 'full legalization'... IF those that can't qualify as patients want the benefits of 'cannabis' without being labeled and prosecuted as criminals.

The category of MMJ should ALWAYS be around for those that 'qualify' as patients... but eventually EVERYONE should have access to 'cannabis' for personal use... IF they choose to use it.

And when that happens... and I believe that it will happen... cannabis for sale to the 'general public' WILL be compared to alcohol AND taxed just as alcohol is... for better or worse, that you can be sure of.

BUT the category of MMJ should ALWAYS be maintained as a 'law' for those people that qualify as 'patients' and a 'patient's' rights should NOT be taken from them.

The state is prevented from directly participating by a legal doctrine that prevents one governmental agency to act in a manner directly contravening a superior (read: State and Federal) authority. The 'sales' tax in Michigan is technically a sales and use tax. If you are compensated by someone for providing someone with a product that will be used or consumed in Michigan, you are expected to remit 6 percent of the compensation value to the state. There is no question about this. Medications requiring a prescription are tax-exempt. I don't think OTC meds are, but I may be wrong. MMJ will not be tax-exempt anytime soon.

Archived