Ro Water Filter Help

jonh420

i have a ktrosys water filter i just purchased on amazon. http://www.katerno.com/detail.php?s=102837 i hooked everything up and for some reason no water will go into my storage tank.when i turn on the ro faucet ro water comes out for a minute then stops i tested this water it was 15 tds.i repeat the same thing with the same results , i picked up the tank and it felt empty. i checked the pressure in the tank and it was good.the drain line is draing at a constant stream,is that normal.i have well water and a well pump for my water inlet to the house.do i need a booster pump or am i doing somthing wrong i checked all lines and connections and they are fine.someone please help me.my well water reads 123 tds.

you need a booster pump...

Ideal working presure for most RO membrains is 60-80psi, your well is likely 40 at best and about the best you do is upgrade the pressure switch to a 30/50 switch and bump the pressure in the tank... IF the pump will do 50psi it would only be AT 50 for a few minutes as the pressure tank drains...

As far as the drain, you'll have like 70% drain and 30% RO... but not until you get the pressure up and start moving water through the membrain proper...

i have a ktrosys water filter i just purchased on amazon. http://www.katerno.com/detail.php?s=102837 i hooked everything up and for some reason no water will go into my storage tank.when i turn on the ro faucet ro water comes out for a minute then stops i tested this water it was 15 tds.i repeat the same thing with the same results , i picked up the tank and it felt empty. i checked the pressure in the tank and it was good.the drain line is draing at a constant stream,is that normal.i have well water and a well pump for my water inlet to the house.do i need a booster pump or am i doing somthing wrong i checked all lines and connections and they are fine.someone please help me.my well water reads 123 tds.

More than likely you will need a booster pump for your current system. Typically they are set up for 50psi or higher water pressure and most wells are 25/50 or 30/60.

I did a lot of research before I purchased my RO filter. I purchased this one because it is specific for low pressure, like a well, and it is portable too! I first hooked it up in the kitchen but the connector was a couple of threads too short so I had to hook it up to the bathroom sink.

Link to APEC Portable RO system this unit is $259 and comes with a free tds meter and an extra set of filters. I have been using it for about 6 months now and I have no complaints. It was by far a great investment. I am very satisfied and it is made in USA too! There were other units from APEC that were for low pressure, but the portable unit is the one I decided to go with.

:D

Oh yes, I almost forgot, you may have another alternative besides a pump or purchasing a new unit. The warmer the water that runs through the filter system reduces the amount of pressure required to make it function properly. Warmer water runs through it much more freely but, you cannot exceed the temperatures recommended by the manufacturer. So you first run the water to luke warm before engaging the RO sytem assuming that you can turn your unit on and off (valve). I sometimes do that with mine, I don't need to, but if I need to hurry up and water before my lights turn off, I will run the water warmer to get the RO water more quickly. I suppost this option may only work if you have a system like mine that attaches to a faucet.

Good Luck!

Oh yes, I almost forgot, you may have another alternative besides a pump or purchasing a new unit. The warmer the water that runs through the filter system reduces the amount of pressure required to make it function properly. Warmer water runs through it much more freely but, you cannot exceed the temperatures recommended by the manufacturer. So you first run the water to luke warm before engaging the RO sytem assuming that you can turn your unit on and off (valve). I sometimes do that with mine, I don't need to, but if I need to hurry up and water before my lights turn off, I will run the water warmer to get the RO water more quickly. I suppost this option may only work if you have a system like mine that attaches to a faucet.

Good Luck!

l ok i purchased a booster pump with transformer then i found out i need a pressure switch also.my ro system is 1/4 inch tubing.well the booster pump says its 3/8 tubing will i be able to get a adapter to make it work and should i get a 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch pressure switch.thanks

Archived