Jump to content

Setup Questions


Michigandr
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have a unfinished basement, it leaks a bit when it rains so im gonna try to seal up the cinderblocks and make sure i bleach any mold and clean it up nice. I was gonna start with just one 400 or 600watt light. I was wondering about a couple things, if its cold down their in the winter would it be smart to put a space heater near the plants, with a fan so they dont get too hot and make sure to keep air moving so their is no mold? I was also wondering about airflow... If I dont have a air in/out fan will a couple fans down there to keep the air moving be enough for healthy plants? I wasnt that worried about a carbon scrubber but I can always make one if needed. Anything else I should be thinking about?

 

There isnt really any power outlets down their so I was gonna have my buddy that is pretty handy to put some in. I was wondering if there is some special heavy duty outlet or something that i would want for lights. Is it bad to have a power strip with fans and lights hooked up? Should I have several outlets put in? What if I have outlets screwed into the wall that leaks? would it be ok as long as i somehow sealed the holes around the screws?

 

Anything else I should be thinking about?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Mr_smith

Ill touch on some of this but its late and i have to sleep soon lol

 

Best bet is to make a room dedicated to your grow. this can be done quickley and cheaply by making a quick frame out of 2x4's ($2 for an 8ft section at home depot) and panda film ($1 a foot anywhere.) super easy and can be done in a couple hours. seal it all up with clear tape and now you have a space where you can control the climate which is a key factor.

 

Now you need to get some power in there. whoever helps you run electrical, tell them that you need one 110 outlet on a 20 amp circut by itself (this will be for your ballast), and then maybe 2 more standard outlets on another 20 amp (fans and other electrical). this is basic and easy as well.

 

you will want to keep it warm enough in there so a space heater with a thermostat would be a good thing.

 

you will also want a good intake/exaust system. invest in a good inline fan ($100-$120)

you will want fresh air coming in the room, old air leaving the room, and ducting to cool off that light.

 

Don't mess with the leaky walls, seriously.

With the kind of power these units pull, you do not want a water/electricity party.

 

Oh, don't buy a 400w, you will regret it once you get some big sticky buds and want more :)

A 600w is very versitile.

 

This is just scratching the surface, there are a lot of details to work out.

 

One big question is how do you plan on growing.. soil? hydro?

 

 

Keep in mind that I am no expert and this is just how I roll. Everyone does things diffrently, the best thing to do is keep asking questions, figure out what works for other poeple and then figure out what you think will be best for you.

 

I apologize for the spelling and lack of punctuation.

Good Luck! ~Smith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Howdy..Welcome..!!

 

I have a few thoughts below, please read through and bounce back ideas, i'm not being critical with you...just straight...

 

Cheers..!!

 

I have a unfinished basement, it leaks a bit when it rains so im gonna try to seal up the cinderblocks and make sure i bleach any mold and clean it up nice.

 

If you start in a moldy area, you will ALWAYS be susceptible to mold, peroid

 

Even sealing the room as Mr.Smith suggested (great idea) is a thought, but you CAN NOT filter every mold spore, or remove them from clothing, or shoes, ALL the time, every time

 

I was gonna start with just one 400 or 600watt light. I was wondering about a couple things, if its cold down their in the winter would it be smart to put a space heater near the plants, with a fan so they dont get too hot and make sure to keep air moving so their is no mold?

Yes, a heater would be a good idea if it gets that cold, cold moist air, moist plants and tight buds = mold...

 

A dehumidifier might be a good idea... (great idea)

 

I was also wondering about airflow... If I dont have a air in/out fan will a couple fans down there to keep the air moving be enough for healthy plants?

It may, depending on a LOT of factors, if you use the whole area, moving the air with fans, sure, but you'll quickly see, you'll NEEED air flow in/out of the area, along with a carbon scrubber

 

I wasnt that worried about a carbon scrubber but I can always make one if needed.

Do it

 

Anything else I should be thinking about?

only everything, temp control, humidity control, hydro/dirt, water quality, insects, fungal/bacterial control....ect

 

There isnt really any power outlets down their so I was gonna have my buddy that is pretty handy to put some in.

This is where things get scary...

 

No slight against you, but BEWARE, electrical work is EASY, but it's NOTHING TO BE TOYED WITH..

 

If you DO decide to embark on this, make sure you get the proper wire, proper boxes, recepticals...ect... There are even electricians that advertise there services here..

 

Cobbing things together here could burn your house down, think about this... I'm sure your friend is more than capable, but please, think about what is happening, when it is happening... If it doesn't look right, it's not, quality is easy to spot and worth every bit of your attention..

 

I was wondering if there is some special heavy duty outlet or something that i would want for lights.

Much depends on the light... Most the run 1000w'er run them 220, I'm running mine on 110, because I have my mover running on the same timer.. you use lightly less power at 220, but it's nominal.. If you ran a 220v lamp, it would require a special outlet, but that's easy

 

Is it bad to have a power strip with fans and lights hooked up? Should I have several outlets put in?

For fans (depending on size of-course) and small lights, not usually a problem, but power strips ARE the weakest link..

 

I use them, but I don't have any large loads connected to them.. Most are good for 10 amps, but MANY of them should never have 10A run through them..lol.. again, quality, skimp elsewhere..

 

Just to give you an idea, a 4 foot, 8 bulb, T5 lamp, uses about 4.5 amps... A 1000w uses about 11amps@110 and about 9amps@220

 

What if I have outlets screwed into the wall that leaks? would it be ok as long as i somehow sealed the holes around the screws?

 

Seriously man?? That's just crazy talk...really, why would you even consider it?

 

But for grins, you COULD seal the wall with panda plastic as Mr.Smith suggested, as long as the water ran down the outside of the plastic, and the wire was run on the inside, you would be fine, as long as the water doesn't run down the wire.. Outlets can be mounted/hung from just about anywhere, on the ceiling

 

Most home wire is ok with water as long as the insulation is intact, I wouldn't run it through a pond, there is wire for that, but if you ran the wire along the wall, horizontally or even in the corner of the floor it's fine as long as it's not getting stepped on or run over by things..

 

Anything else I should be thinking about?

 

Growing is EASY, growing well is not... I've seen people growing in scary places with scary set-ups and doing great, and I've seen people with "labs" not doing so well... just think long and hard about the undertaking, it can be very rewarding, it can also be the bane of your existence...lol..

 

Cheers..!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...