The Mdch Is Aiding And Abetting Criminal Activity By The Police

The backlog has gotten so egregious as to be deliberate. The police then use the "no cards" as an excuse for busts on those who comply. This is done to increase the fear and uncertainty about exploring medical cannabis as a viable alternative for any given patient and thus reduce demand. How is it that MDCH is not being held accountable for what amounts to aiding and abetting the criminal activity of rogue agents and agenda driven political sheriffs flouting the MMMA? It seems to me that that would be the baliwick of our Association :sword:

What is the official MMMA position on the MDCH backlog? It has only gotten worse on this latest watch. :hot:

Dear Robert: I understand your frustration and anger over the events in Oakland County relating to medical marijuana clinics. Problems similar to this have been occurring all across the state and in our courts as the new law is being implemented. As a result, I am currently serving on a Medical Marijuana Task Force appointed by House Speaker Andy Dillon to look at amending the act to make it more clear and to avoid any issues like those that are occurring around the state currently. We hope to have recommendations made for amending the statutes before the end of this year. Thank you again for contacting me.

i think Lansing is working on some kind of change coming this E-mail i got last mouth

This is a curious spot to be in, and a very delicate thing to balance.

On the one side you have MDCH suggesting they are just overwhelmed by the number of applications and renewals, and do not have the staff to catch up. They also claim that there is no additional funding to hire more staff, which would be accurate as the budgets are set well in advance. The latter issue can and should be handled with this new budget, so let's see if they do what they are required to do.

On the other side is the cynic in me that says this is a political move, with a few different objectives.

First off, it allows for what you suggest, the continued harassment of patients and caregivers by over zealous LEO. This practice actually benefits prohibitionists in 2 ways, causing fear and uncertainty, and boosts arrest numbers (allowing for a claim to be made that there is an increase in crime, whether charges are filed or not).

Secondly, the outrage and fear in the community will eventually cause the patients and caregivers to shout loud enough for changes to be made, which will be claimed to be a mandadate to attempt to open up the entire law to changes. It will give some political cover to those legislators that are on the fence on the issue. Our law may even become a bargaining chip in negotiations with the new majority, to try and save various pet projects of the upcoming minority.

Just some things to think about. ;)

This is a curious spot to be in, and a very delicate thing to balance.

On the one side you have MDCH suggesting they are just overwhelmed by the number of applications and renewals, and do not have the staff to catch up. They also claim that there is no additional funding to hire more staff, which would be accurate as the budgets are set well in advance. The latter issue can and should be handled with this new budget, so let's see if they do what they are required to do.

On the other side is the cynic in me that says this is a political move, with a few different objectives.

First off, it allows for what you suggest, the continued harassment of patients and caregivers by over zealous LEO. This practice actually benefits prohibitionists in 2 ways, causing fear and uncertainty, and boosts arrest numbers (allowing for a claim to be made that there is an increase in crime, whether charges are filed or not).

Secondly, the outrage and fear in the community will eventually cause the patients and caregivers to shout loud enough for changes to be made, which will be claimed to be a mandadate to attempt to open up the entire law to changes. It will give some political cover to those legislators that are on the fence on the issue. Our law may even become a bargaining chip in negotiations with the new majority, to try and save various pet projects of the upcoming minority.

Just some things to think about. ;)

and the beat goes on.....

Archived