Haze

avgjoe

I was reading this a few days ago and it got me thinking

Here's a quote from Nevil over on MNS

Grail: The Ultimate Haze Hybrid

I've decided to start a new thread. It's a subject close to the hearts of many growers/breeders. It's something we need to take action on, BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE. We need to put aside our prejudices and ego's in this quest. It's all about the end result.

I'll give you my understanding of how to work with this variety.

As I said before, I got a total of 7 plants from the original seed stock. They were all different. The Original female (the one that I didn't keep a clone of) and Haze male A, may have been siblings, but just as likely not. Yet there was a common Haze like thread among all of them. This tells me that there was likely no pure haze among them. Haze did not improve when put back to itself as I was told and later discovered. People who think that B.C. is the hope for the future ( if it can be resurrected) are likely to be disappointed. A NL5xHzA would be the best mate for it to test this out. Haze males A+C were at best half brothers, but certainly shared a common ancestor, so my guess is that the inbreeding co-efficient to the haze ancestor in Nevil's Haze is at most 37.5%.

So if we want to go back to a Haze hybrid, we are looking for one not directly related to A or C. So don't talk to me about S.S.H. or Jack Herrer or Diesel or Sage (all the same plant). Double up HzC! I'm not saying that excellent plants can't be produced from inbreeding what we have, but we are going for the Ultimate (Grail). If anybody pinches this name I'll be pissed off.

This should start the ball rolling, I'll continue later.

N.

"Haze did not improve when put back to itself as I was told and later discovered"

I find this somewhat untue, I am on my third back cross of SSH and altho I havnt been getting the results that I want I belive it has improved.

The original taste of the first backcross(Bx) was amazing it had a STRONG pepper taste with a kinda of liquer/vanilla like taste. Like vanilla extract strait from the bottle. I found it impossible to get anything resembling vanilla from the Bx2 generation. I think my fault was using the same pollen(A really late flowering male) and clouded up my genepool.

Archived