Is Cannabis Sensitive To Juglone?

Mememe

from what I read on Wikki, I wouldn't touch it.. but that was 2min of reading..

Juglone occurs naturally in the leaves, roots, husks, and bark of plants in the Juglandaceae family, particularly the black walnut (Juglans nigra), and is toxic or growth-stunting to many types of plants. It is sometimes used as a herbicide, as a dye for cloth and inks, and as a coloring agent for foods and cosmetics.

Juglone is an example of allelopathic compound, a substance that is synthesized by one type of plant and affects the growth of another. Landscapers have long known that gardening underneath or near black walnut trees can be difficult. Juglone exerts its effect by inhibiting certain enzymes needed for metabolic function. A number of plants and trees are resistant to juglone including some species of maple (Acer), birch (Betula), and beech (Fagus).

It is highly toxic to many insect herbivores. Some of them, however, are capable of detoxification of juglone (and related naphthoquinones) to non-toxic 1,4,5-trihydroxynaphthalene.

Juglone is occasionally used as a herbicide.

Traditionally, juglone has been used as a natural dye for clothing and fabrics, particularly wool, and as ink.

Because of its tendency to create dark orange-brown stains, juglone has also found use as a coloring agent for foods and cosmetics, such as hair dyes.

Donno, doesn't sound good..

If memory serves me right that is a common issue here in MI with the Black Walnut Trees...

My guess would be YES.

Juglone is DESTRUCTIVE to most plants... Some will not die but most will be IMPAIRED if they endure juglone over time.

In fact the soil surrounding the area of any plant which release this property is DANGEROUS for plants.... Stay away... I have been told high amounts of manure can help alleviate soil issues.

Nope, would certainly AVOID the JUGLONE.

:skydive:

If memory serves me right that is a common issue here in MI with the Black Walnut Trees...

My guess would be YES.

Juglone is DESTRUCTIVE to most plants... Some will not die but most will be IMPAIRED if they endure juglone over time.

In fact the soil surrounding the area of any plant which release this property is DANGEROUS for plants.... Stay away... I have been told high amounts of manure can help alleviate soil issues.

Nope, would certainly AVOID the JUGLONE.

:skydive:

Thats what I'm trying to figure out, but my cg doesnt want to experiment. If cannabis is one of the plants not affected, we may have a new anti bacterial/fungal/mold/etc.

My dad has always had issues with the corner of his garden facing a HUGE Black Walnut.. hmmmm....

Maintain at least 100 ft from walnut trees and should be ok.

Cutting the tree down wont make a difference for a year or more as the roots need to die and the juglone released from the fallen leaves needs to dissapate.

Raised beds will work if you don't want to cut the tree down and can't get 100 ft away.

My dad HORDES his BW trees, it's insane.. every frikkin one that sprouts, he digs an plants out in the field.. Retard has them planted 10' apart, what happens IF they got 100yrs old, there would be a wall of tree.. .. .. great wood, but such a dirty tree... I personally HATE the BW tree and as soon as my dad passes away (hopefully long from now) they are ALL getting cut down..

Archived