Iowa Pharmacy Board Unanimously Oks Medical-Marijuana Plan

Croppled1

Off the Norml Line from J.S. modified for privacy and working its way around the Country

Pharmacy board unanimously OKs medical-marijuana plan

Date: Nov 25, 2010 12:52 PM

--- On Thu, 11/25/10, Carl Olsen wrote:

Date: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 12:06 PM

By TONY LEYS tleys@dmreg.com November 25, 2010

State regulators took a step toward legalizing medical marijuana Wednesday, but supporters of the idea still face a long journey.

The Iowa Board of Pharmacy voted 6-0 to propose legislation that would reclassify marijuana and make it easier to legalize the drug for medical purposes.

However, if legislators accepted the proposal, they would also have to approve a separate medical-marijuana program. Several state leaders, including Gov.-elect Terry Branstad, have said they oppose such an idea. Â Pro-marijuana activist Carl Olsen of Des Moines applauded the board's vote. "All I know is I just won today," he said. "But how much did I win? I don't know."

The issue is complicated. State law now lists marijuana among Schedule I drugs, such as LSD, which have almost no legal purposes, and among Schedule II drugs, such as narcotic painkillers, many of which may be used for strictly controlled medical treatments.

Under the proposed bill the board approved Wednesday, lawmakers would erase the Schedule I language and simply define marijuana as a Schedule II drug. The bill would also remove a clause in the Iowa Code saying marijuana is a Schedule II drug "when used for medicinal purposes pursuant to rules of the board of pharmacy examiners." Â The second change would remove decades-old language that some legislators said gives the board authority to allow medical marijuana without legislative action. Lloyd Jessen, the agency's executive director, said the clause is unclear. "We've never thought that gave us the authority to do anything," he said.

Supporters say marijuana can ease symptoms, such as pain and nausea, for patients with cancer, AIDS, multiple sclerosis and other ailments. Detractors see the medical-marijuana campaign as a front for people who want to get high. Â Arizona this month became the 15th state to approve medical uses of marijuana. An Iowa Poll published in The Des Moines Register in February showed 64percent of Iowans supported allowing patients to use the drug if their doctors approved. The poll found 70percent opposed legalizing the drug for recreational use.

The pharmacy board unanimously recommended in February that the Legislature clarify the issue by declaring marijuana a Schedule II drug and setting guidelines on how it may be distributed and used. Â But the Democratic majority leader in the Iowa House of Representatives later said lawmakers didn't need to act on the issue, because of the Iowa Code clause suggesting the board could set rules on the issue. Republicans will regain control of the Iowa House in January. Their leaders did not respond to requests for comment Wednesday, but Branstad has firmly said he opposes legalizing marijuana for any use. Â carlolsen wrote:Now, I have a dilemma. Do I lobby for a technical amendments bill that always passes? Just lobbying for this bill sets off red flags like there was something wrong with it. Itâs going to be very difficult to keep these issues separate between now and January.

I cannot say Schedule II will not lead to the complete legalization of marijuana, but I cannot say it will. The board is just saying the Iowa Legislature should figure out how to provide access. Schedule II does not normally mean access to plants. The only reason we are even thinking about access to the plant is because 15 states have already provided that.

It's disturbing to be caught in the middle of these two issues that nobody seems to be able to separate accurately. Schedule II might only lead to pharmaceutical drugs. Who's to say?

11/25/2010 10:56:03 AM Â carl olsen wrote:Replying to HawkRPh:As a registered pharmacist I support the use of any medication that improves health and quality of life, and marijuana may indeed do just that. But I disagree with the way that this "medical" marijuana is being provided in other states, as a system is already established for the safe and effective provision of medications through regulated and licensed pharmacies staffed by licensed pharmacists, regulated licensed wholesalers, and regulated and licensed manufacturers. If we are to consider marijuana a medication, in the interest of public safety, it must meet the same standards (proven "safe and effective") as other prescription medications. These changes ought to be occuring at the national level where a reasoned decision would more effective in improving access to treatment.

I think the federal government will respond favorably to what the Iowa Board of Pharmacy has done. Moving it to Schedule II is an important first step.

11/25/2010 10:46:36 AM Â carl olsen wrote:The issue of marijuanaâs classification in Schedule I or Schedule II is separate from access. Both coca leaf and opium poppy are in Schedule II, but there has never been access to them directly by patients. Coca leaf and opium poppy are used by manufacturers to make drugs. Itâs easier to make drugs from a plant in Schedule II than it is to make drugs from a plant in Schedule I.

So, moving marijuana to Schedule II is the right thing to do, regardless of whether anyone is actually using a raw plant as medicine. The issues are separate.

11/25/2010 10:37:39 AM Â

--

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20101125/NEWS/11250343/Pha...

For more options, visit this at :

http://blog.iowamedicalmarijuana.org/

Archived