Flex Spending For Physician Consultation?

I have an 11 year history of kidney stones, and I found your site by googling. This topic was my introduction to this forum...

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/19575-kidney-stones-and-chronic-kidney-pain/

I've had quite a lot of pain over the years, had a few ER visits and a hospitalization along the way, discovered first-hand what "referred pains" are, had two surgeries, stents placed and then removed, and am being scheduled to have my current 10mm stone demolished.

In other words, I think I may have a reasonably good chance of being able to document severe and chronic pain.

I'm not much of a fan of marijuana--haven't had any in over 20 years--but I have to think it's not nearly as harmful as all the hydrocodone I've taken over the years. As it is now, I have the option of being an unproductive zombie due to pain, or being an unproductive zombie due to semi-synthetic opioids. Some choice, huh? I had a urologist appointment this week. Again I felt uneasiness about how eager the doctor was to shoot off yet another Norco prescription, but this time I chose to listen to that uneasiness and interpreted it as a sign.

I know that insurance won't cover the costs of a physician consultation. I also know that the flex spending list specifically details that marijuana as an ineligible expense. But what about using flex spending (pre-tax) dollars for the physician consultation?

I've emailed a few of the clinics in the Washtenaw County area to ask. I got a total of one yes response and one no response.

So I open it up to the group. Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow... not all at once, folks!

Seriously, though, I had my appointment on Monday, I electronically submitted my receipt to my flex spending company immediately after the appointment. My check to the clinic showed up as having been deposited on Wednesday, and I got a direct deposit reimbursement the next day.

Your mileage may vary.

Again, marijuana is specifically on the list of things flex spending will not pay for, but the appointment seems to have cleared without a hitch.

tough one. Flexs are setup and regulated by the fed gov, as well as state. because its reglated by the Fed. probably no. BUT if you find a Dr, that has a real Dr Office, and will recommend MMJ, then maybe. as the dr could do it as a regular office visit. i doubt you could get away with this at a clinic of mass pass.

out pt is fine for flex. you can put money in flex for an optomitrist, for glasss or contact ect. it just MUST BE MEDICAL, and can not go against fed/state law.

thus why i think a Standard Dr that is MMJ knowledgable.

the could do a simple office call check up to charge the flex. the Dr could just sign the paperwork, but this would not fly at a Card Mill, where you dont even see a Dr.

you would have to have a dr, in a fully equiped, registered office with nursing staff ect...

Yeah, you're on track with that advice. Flex plans CAN cover doctors outside your PCP (or whatever you wanna call your primary Doc). But, since it is a federally regulated program, you run the risk of getting yourself (as well as your doc) on a federal list somewhere. It may be an innocuous list, but it is available to other government agencies without so much as a please.

Archived