Drug Submarines

Just got finished watching the National Geographic segment on the submarines that Colombian cartels are using to smuggle primarily cocaine into the US. It ended with the somewhat cryptic suggestion that Al-Qaeda is in contact with these same cartels.

The moral majority always wants to suggest that illicit substances are some type of attack on America, and the now the resulting smuggling arms race has led to what might be the method for a major terror attack. How is that for irony!?

Comments?

OuHHey man, I didn't write it! LOL

But if I had to infer anything from that assertion, it would be that Al-Qaeda had enough $$ to get the cartel to let them book passage. The point is moot though, because it was most likely some DEA foot soldier trying to justify his job burning down coca fields, not factual intelligence.

Guest 1TokeOverLine

I would be more inclined to believe that CIA money is behind most of the smuggling. They trained and armed the arabs when it suited their purpose, then ousted some when it didn't. Smuggling is just a funding path.

1T

Just got finished watching the National Geographic segment on the submarines that Colombian cartels are using to smuggle primarily cocaine into the US. It ended with the somewhat cryptic suggestion that Al-Qaeda is in contact with these same cartels.

The moral majority always wants to suggest that illicit substances are some type of attack on America, and the now the resulting smuggling arms race has led to what might be the method for a major terror attack. How is that for irony!?

Comments?

I just read the article in my National Geographic magazine about Drug Subs. Fascinating.

If you want into this country, you certainly do not have to get on a commercial air liner!

The magazine article didn't suggest that al-qaeda was in contact with these same drug cartels, but that they were in the same market, with similar financial support, and looking to coordinate with the same type of people; namely former military submarine engineers.

It just made me re-realize how ridiculous we are as a nation. We love to 'feeeeeeeel' safe. Only we are not. And we haven't been for so long, most of us don't remember it because it was before we were born.

Kevlar submarines. Good luck border patrol. Makes illegal farm labour flooding the border seem like jay walking doesn't it?

I am eager to see the television episode that you saw. I'll have to keep an eye out on Netflix. The PBS and National Geographic content on netflix is probably my favourite content they offer.

Archived