Paperwork Question

poopship

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum and I have a question about my wife's mmj registration paperwork. Btw my wife is the patient and I am her caregiver. So my question is-- She has been through all the proper channels with the doctor and registration process, everything has been sent to the state via certified mail, the state has cashed her check for registration. She has received copies of the registration forms and certified mail receipt saying the state has received everything. Everything she has received has came from the doctor. So will she get some temporary paperwork fro the state? or is everything she already got her temp paperwork? I know there is that 20 day thing and she can then go get herself some meds at certain places, and I know that there is a 4 to 6 month wait to get the actual plastic identification card. Any input will help and thanks in advance, sorry if these are stupid questions we are both new to medical marijuana.

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum and I have a question about my wife's mmj registration paperwork. Btw my wife is the patient and I am her caregiver. So my question is-- She has been through all the proper channels with the doctor and registration process, everything has been sent to the state via certified mail, the state has cashed her check for registration. She has received copies of the registration forms and certified mail receipt saying the state has received everything. Everything she has received has came from the doctor. So will she get some temporary paperwork fro the state? or is everything she already got her temp paperwork? I know there is that 20 day thing and she can then go get herself some meds at certain places, and I know that there is a 4 to 6 month wait to get the actual plastic identification card. Any input will help and thanks in advance, sorry if these are stupid questions we are both new to medical marijuana.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

If you haven't received a denial your copies of paperwork are all you both will have until card(s) arrive.

Welcome to the site,

Yeah, you have to wait 20+5 days after you receive your cashed check or returned receipt from Certified mail. the date its cashed you wait 20+5 days to begin your grow.

I can understand your excitement about getting your card, I've been there I feel you, but keep your legal status to yourself, the more people that know you have your card, the more rat's, thieves, and LEO'S will seek you out and ruin your life.. Good luck please keep your status between you and your CG, or between you and family exclusively.

Congrats on your "legal" status soon, hushhhhhh hushhhhhhhh

I don't sleep so PM me anytime if you have any questions that you may need assistance with.

Trix :bong2:

Thanks Trix, yeah i hear you about rats, thieves etc.... New to the medical marijuana game, not new to the underground scene, so we tell nobody what we do behind closed doors. No denial letter, state cashed check for registration so it seems like we are a go. didnt know it was 25 days from the date the check is cashed, ive been hearing 20, the doctor said 21, ill go with the 25 rather wait. I assume we should make copies of all paperwork and copies of cashed checks to carry with us or to use at a dispensary.

If you have access to a copier. It's nice to copy all documents onto 1 sheet of paper. Takes a bit but they all fit and very clear. Place those in vehicles / personal items that you carry with you. You can't have too much documentation with you but less paper is better. You'll be carrying paper for a while. GL

i was told by a lawyer its 21 days after you get your cashed check, don't really know where the extra 4 days comes from just what I was told.. read it somewhere I will try and locate that info for you, id stick with the 21 days then do what you do, just keep each and every paper you sent in and filled out in you reach, never know when you will have to use it.

Trix :bong2:

4 xtra days in case your 21 days falls on a holiday or weekend?

The law says MDCH has a total of 20 calendar days to send you a denial letter. If you don't receive one then at 12:01am of Day 21 you're a qualified patient.

On the question of what date appears on checks cashed by MDCH, that date is helpful but it's -not- the definitive date needed for proof you're a qualified patient (or your caregiver's status is in effect). For example, say you physically hand in your app. over the counter to MDCH on June 1 and get it stamped RECEIVED: that is the gold standard of proof when your clock starts. MDCH gets 20 days to deny you, otherwise on Day 21 you're a qualified patient, right? To help folks understand the process let's follow the path of your app and your fee payment check or money order.

Step 1 - You get your app stamped RECEIVED by handing it in or sending it in via USPS Certified Mail and you pay for a Return Signature Postcard which you get back via postal mail a few days later.

Step 2 - MDCH receives over 500 apps a day; they gather up and send checks (or money orders or cashiers checks) by large batches in the thousands to a state accounts receivable office not part of MDCH, so there may be some delay. That office (in another state building I'm told) also processes huge batches from other state agencies through federal clearinghouse banks, so there may be another delay. Your check will get cashed within the state's 20-day window but it varies widely - I've seen 3 days and up to 16 days. (Note: it's very hard or even impossible to get a copy of a cashed money order; it's somewhat more possible with cashiers checks but still can be difficult; thus, I strongly suggest paying state fees with a personal check so you -can- get a copy from online banking or from a teller of the front plus the back where the date it was cashed is shown.)

Step 3 - MDCH personnel use database look-ups of your (and the caregiver is one is named) Social Security Number, driver license or other ID number, plus the name and address on the app to see if they match. If all does well fine, you're almost cleared. If not you may get a denial letter, depending on the error, and usually it tells you the problem to fix or the reason you're denied. Often you can fix simple probs by resubmitting a corrected app without another fee, but each new app submission gives the state another 20-day window including change-of-caregiver or change-of-address forms.

Step 4 -Let's now say your app was perfect, you passed all database look-ups, your personal check cleared and was dated, and your caregiver was approved as in not denied for being under 21 or for having a felony drug conviction. So WHEN are you a legal "qualified patient"? And when is your caregiver able to provide services legally? That would be on Day 21 after your app was stamped RECEIVED and you did not get a denial letter. Not the same, as is often misunderstood, 21 days after the state cashed your check. However, it's often the case that folks mailed in their app and kept a good copy, then the state approved them after 20 days, but the applicant doesn't have a RECEIVED stamp on his/her app and didn't buy a green USPS return postcard... well in that case the next best thing is having a copy of the cashed check showing the date on the back. At least it is proof MDCH processed your app.

Step 5 - Begin enjoying your legal rights in the medical use of marijuana under the MMMAct of 2008.

Hope that helps. -- Rich from Green Cross in Lansing

Thanks Green Cross, appreciate the info. anything that deals with state government always is bundled up in bureaucracy. I have my fingers crossed that we are good, got green return postcard, got app returned, getting bank to send copy of cashed check(probably should have stated to them that we needed both front and back copy of check, i assumed they would send both but they are just as screwed up as dealing with the state...lol)

Archived