Rep. Jared Polis: The Policy Of Prohibition Failed Nationally

fyi;

http://blog.norml.org/2011/04/08/congressman-jared-polis-just-as-the-policy-of-prohibition-failed-nationally-with-alcohol-its-now-up-to-states-and-counties-i-think-we-should-do-the-same-with-marijuana/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Congressman+Jared+Polis%3A+%22Just+as+The+Policy+of+Prohibition+Failed+Nationally+With+Alcohol+-+It%27s+Now+Up+To+States+And+Counties+-+I+Think+We+Should+Do+The+Same+With+Marijuana%22

Rep. Jared Polis: Federal government shouldn’t be banning marijuana

Colorado Democratic Rep. Jared Polis said Wednesday that the federal government should not be in the business of regulating marijuana use by Americans.

“I don’t see a federal role,” he said in a “Washington Unplugged” interview, noting that his state is among those that allow medical marijuana use. (There is also a push in Colorado for full legalization.) “I don’t think that the federal side should be coming in and second guessing what states are doing.”

“Just as the policy of prohibition failed nationally with alcohol – it’s now up to states and counties – I think we should do the same with marijuana,” he said.

… Polis said it’s apparent that “we are not winning the drug war,” pointing to increased drug abuse and the flow of drugs across the southern border from criminal cartels.

“Drug abuse is fundamentally a medical issue, a health issue, more than a criminal issue,” he said.

The lawmaker asked people to ask themselves how they would want someone close to them to be treated if they were struggling with drug abuse.

“Do you think that person would have been better served by being in jail for several years or getting the help they needed to end their chemical dependency?” he asked.

Polis also pointed to a recent study finding that marijuana is already a $1.7 billion industry.

“It’s already created thousands of jobs in Colorado, several millions dollars of tax revenue – I really think that’s just the tip of the iceberg with regard to the potential of the industry in terms of job creation, revenue creation for the government,” he said.

fyi;

http://blog.norml.org/2011/04/08/congressman-jared-polis-just-as-the-policy-of-prohibition-failed-nationally-with-alcohol-its-now-up-to-states-and-counties-i-think-we-should-do-the-same-with-marijuana/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Congressman+Jared+Polis%3A+%22Just+as+The+Policy+of+Prohibition+Failed+Nationally+With+Alcohol+-+It%27s+Now+Up+To+States+And+Counties+-+I+Think+We+Should+Do+The+Same+With+Marijuana%22

Rep. Jared Polis: Federal government shouldn’t be banning marijuana

Colorado Democratic Rep. Jared Polis said Wednesday that the federal government should not be in the business of regulating marijuana use by Americans.

“I don’t see a federal role,” he said in a “Washington Unplugged” interview, noting that his state is among those that allow medical marijuana use. (There is also a push in Colorado for full legalization.) “I don’t think that the federal side should be coming in and second guessing what states are doing.”

“Just as the policy of prohibition failed nationally with alcohol – it’s now up to states and counties – I think we should do the same with marijuana,” he said.

… Polis said it’s apparent that “we are not winning the drug war,” pointing to increased drug abuse and the flow of drugs across the southern border from criminal cartels.

“Drug abuse is fundamentally a medical issue, a health issue, more than a criminal issue,” he said.

The lawmaker asked people to ask themselves how they would want someone close to them to be treated if they were struggling with drug abuse.

“Do you think that person would have been better served by being in jail for several years or getting the help they needed to end their chemical dependency?” he asked.

Polis also pointed to a recent study finding that marijuana is already a $1.7 billion industry.

“It’s already created thousands of jobs in Colorado, several millions dollars of tax revenue – I really think that’s just the tip of the iceberg with regard to the potential of the industry in terms of job creation, revenue creation for the government,” he said.

The voice of truth crying out in the wilderness. Unfortunately, too many people are sticking their fingers in their ears and shouting "I can't HEEAARR you!"

Archived