Light Deprivation

I was wondering if it would make any differnce, if I were to deprive light in the a.m. hours vs. p.m. hours to achieve 12/12 outside right now. Benefits or downfalls of one vs. the other?

My research tells me that when switching to 12/12 you want the lights to come on the same time you had them come on in 18/6. This will minimize shock.

My research tells me that when switching to 12/12 you want the lights to come on the same time you had them come on in 18/6. This will minimize shock.

So, outside I would be better off blocking light off in the evening? Then I would not be messing with time the lights came on so to speak.

So, outside I would be better off blocking light off in the evening? Then I would not be messing with time the lights came on so to speak.

Yeah, basically. But if that is what you are going to actually do, that's gonna be a heck of a lot of work. Unless you can rig up some kind of Mythbuster type contraption that will pull a light proof awning down on a timer.. lol

Yeah, basically. But if that is what you are going to actually do, that's gonna be a heck of a lot of work. Unless you can rig up some kind of Mythbuster type contraption that will pull a light proof awning down on a timer.. lol

No mythbuster contraption this year, just a ton of work. Need to get the girls going though, starting to run tight on space. I'm currently working on plans though for a retracable hoop house. Clear plastic in early spring, panda plastic in fall. Hopefully automated at some point.

Along with a lot of growers, I run my lights at night. The temps are lower, less nosey people, meter readers, neighbors,ect. In some areas you can even get a rate break at night......shredder

OK, I went back and re-read your post. Your outside! One way is to start them in flower then put them out when the light cycle is right. For northern lower it is around the middle of July. So if they are in flower and placed outside on July 15 or later they should continue to stay in flower.

There are some folks doing this down south and can finish flowering in July or get two outdoor harvests in one year.

Along with a lot of growers, I run my lights at night. The temps are lower, less nosey people, meter readers, neighbors,ect. In some areas you can even get a rate break at night......shredder

OK, I went back and re-read your post. Your outside! One way is to start them in flower then put them out when the light cycle is right. For northern lower it is around the middle of July. So if they are in flower and placed outside on July 15 or later they should continue to stay in flower.

There are some folks doing this down south and can finish flowering in July or get two outdoor harvests in one year.

What if I covered them for the next two weeks to get them started. Would they continue to keep flowering if I quit covering at that point.

What if I covered them for the next two weeks to get them started. Would they continue to keep flowering if I quit covering at that point.

Yes that is exactly what i'm saying. The date for N MI is mid july, as you go further south the date gets earlier. It has to do with the length of day light. What your looking for is the first opportunity to have a flowering plant stay in flower. This is all something new i read about recently. Some folks down south put plants into 12/12 right from rooting, then put them outside as shorties, they only produce a zip or so but are done way early, before leo and the rippers start looking. The normal start date for plants to flower outdoors in MI, is around august, the problem is you may have dead plants from frost before thay are ripened. In N MI we have frost near the end of sept or the first of oct. If you can start them in flower earlier, then you can harvest earlier too. For example, if you placed flowering plants that have been under 12/12 for two weeks indoors, then putt hem out on july 15th they should be done sept 1 if they are 8 week varieties.....shredder

Archived