Dte Is Comparing Your Electrical Use Against Your Neighbors

Dizledot

Guest Happy Guy

Repeated it they way it was told to me and typed while this person was passing the info. Yes the protocol was inaccurate but this person was very upset. I did clarify late last night that the magistrate signed the search warrent after electric co tipped off Leo who watched the house and then house was raided. The whole point is Leo is being tipped off by the utilities of high power usage and homes are being raided. They don't question commercial buildings due to expected high power usage.

Or so they would have you believe after they got their stories straight. Electric bills have always been a secondary tip off, like a confirmation after a tip. Maybe the original tip was a little dicey so they say it was the electric company as basis for the warrant.

Pot Growing Bust in Southwest Detroit

Updated: Wednesday, 05 Aug 2009, 7:22 PM EDT<br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; font-size: 9px; ">Published : Wednesday, 05 Aug 2009, 5:37 PM EDT

By AMY LANGE<br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; font-size: 10px; ">FOX 2 News

DETROIT (WJBK) - Police make a surprise discovery in a Detroit home. They were there to serve an arrest warrant. They found a major marijuana growing operation.

Wayne County Sheriff's deputies bring out huge bags full of pot. A grow house was shut down Wednesday on Wabash Street in southwest Detroit. Dozens of grow lights and tanks of carbon dioxide were all part of a sophisticated operation set up inside this home.

"Street value of what we confiscated here today has an estimated value of $580,120. So, pretty substantial," said Wayne County Sheriff's Deputy Chief Raphael Washington.

Sheriff deputies weren't even at the location to investigate a drug tip. They were there because the 38-year-old man who was living at the home allegedly owes more than $40,000 in child support. However, when deputies went inside, they found high powered weapons, including an assault rifle with more than 100 rounds.

Deputies arrested the man and searched the home from the attic to the basement, finding small, hydroponic plants, dozens of larger plants and bags of marijuana in the back yard and at another home down the street, as well as a past due electric bill of more than $7,000. It was just a matter of time before this operation was shut down.

"We found out that Detroit Police had been working this guy, also. So, by us affecting that arrest and coming upon all of this, it helps everybody with getting this guy off the street," Washington said.

Investigators say they also found two stolen cars on the property.

Wayne County Sheriff Department investigators say that even though they just happened upon this, the new sheriff is launching a new initiative to crack down on similar homes

This is all i could find on the incident and the "facts" seem different on the news (not unusual, granted)

But I hate the fearmongering threads

So if you owe 40,000 dollars in Child support and owe $7000 in back electricity and have a huge grow watch your meter reader?

I think most of the legit caregiver/patients are safe

Or so they would have you believe after they got their stories straight. Electric bills have always been a secondary tip off, like a confirmation after a tip. Maybe the original tip was a little dicey so they say it was the electric company as basis for the warrant.

O

That's a good point...as we all know there is always more to the story. It would be nice if we could get the actual facts on matters like this. The source who gave me the info was very close to the homeowner, whether the homeowner was a card holder or not wasn't discussed. They were more concerned that electric usage could have been the initial tip off in this case.

Are they doing this in Detroit or just the suburbs?

The article referenced Detroit the location I referenced is in the City of Wyandotte. Not sure if this affects all of Wayne County or not. With all the anti medical marijuana attitudes in the municipalities right now its best to keep an ear out for what doesn't make the media's attention. Lots of things happen Downriver that never makes news.

I tried to search for anything from Wyandotte and came up empty. Doesn't mean anything though, it just didn't make the news.

If LEO is suspicious they will go check your utility usage. If a utility employee is suspicious or maybe you pi$$ them off they might report your usage to LEO. I wouldn't be surprised if LEO gets regular information from the utility on major changes in usage. Say you go from a $125 a month to a $500 a month bill overnight.

The new meters they are installing around the area will assist them. They will now know what time you begin drawing more power. Say at every day you have 2000 watts of lights turn on at 6 am and off at 6 pm. They will see them turn on and off by the increase and decrease in load. The meters self report to the utility through out the day.. Soon every DTE customer will have these meters, commercial and residential. No more meter man coming around unless the meter has an error. Don't mean to add to anyone's paranoia but you should be aware of what the new meters can do.

Ok face it...if you're growing with electricity even for a single Patient grow your bill has close to doubled and with this heat wave add another 20%. If you're afraid of raising your electric bill and can't grow outside for whatever reason what are you going to do?

We are a medical cannabis state so I'm sure DTE knows pretty much whats going on with whom and where.

So...you can sit there and live in fear of the unknown or take care of your family, your health, and your garden.

I'm not doing anything against my state law, I'm not doing anything against federal law.

In other words, apart from the known and the unknown, what else is there?

- Harold Pinter

Archived