Snyder Doesn't Know Laying Off Cops Is Bad?

David1946

You thought Lansing was over-reaching this past year or so....You ain't seen nothing yet....EFM's and worse are coming.....

Gov. Rick Snyder Q&A: 'Too many' Michigan cities in the top ten list for highest crime rates

http://www.mlive.com...oo_many_mi.html

FRANKENLUST TWP. — Michigan has too many cities ranking in the top ten nationally of most crime-ridden cities, Gov. Rick Snyder said.

In a question and answer session Thursday with The Saginaw News, the governor addressed a wide-range of issues from workforce development to immigration policies on foreign workers.

In this excerpt, he talks about upcoming special messages in 2012 on public safety and the poor ranking of some Michigan cities compared to national violent crime statistics; and energy and the environment.

This year, the governor delivered a total of five special messages on government reform; transportation and infrastructure; health and wellness; education. He unveiled his message on talent and workforce development Thursday at Delta College.

Q: Can you talk about some of our upcoming special messages and what they’ll address.

A: “We’re going to have fewer messages next year because it is an election year and there’s going to be a lot of activity there. In terms of focus points for next year I’ll cover in the state of the state (address), is special messages topics that will likely be on the agenda. One will be on energy and the environment, kind of a combined message since there’s such an overlap between those two areas. The other one is public safety.

I would use Flint as an illustration. We need to do a better job. We have too many cities in the top ten list of highest crime cities in the country, and that’s not an acceptable answer.

Q: Any preview on what kind of solutions you may recommend for public safety and for energy and the environment?

A: What I would say on the public safety one is it’s not just about law enforcement on the street. That is an important element. It’s also looking at how do you look at the whole criminal justice system to make sure we’re being most effective there, including mental health services because in some cases a number of these people will have mental health issues, and we shouldn’t be locking them up. We need to get them help.

The other piece is I would say it’s not just about the law enforcement or the criminal justice system, it’s about getting people to have a job. I view it as we’re going to approach it as not just one-dimensional, but it’s a multidimensional issue but I think we can put a package together that will really be fairly comprehensive.

Q: In terms of energy and the environment, can you give us a preview there?

A: One of the topics that always comes up on the environment is the Great Lakes and making sure we’re doing the best work there possible to protect and enhance one of our greatest assets. It’s not number one, (workforce) talent is number one, but it would be on the list of protecting the Great Lakes. And then how can we look at the environmental issue in a different context. Too often that there’s a history in it. It’s not a negative issue, but quite often people looked at the environment as more place-based protections, and we need to move to a broader model of how the entire system works, looking at ecosystems. To say it’s a system-wide approach, as opposed to a place-based approach. And being more thoughtful about creating right answers about how we can protect the environment while at the same time making sure that people and economic activity can go on and there’s value added on coexistence.

Too often people get into this thing. There’s a silo for the environment, and there’s a silo for the economy, and that’s a flawed model. So I really want to communicate it’s a symbiotic relationship, that they co-exist, and how can we really make that partnership really work.

A great model is the Nature Conservancy. I was on their board for a long time, here in Michigan. And they’re a good role model. They’ve had some good projects on the Shiawassee River in terms of innovations there.

umm Ricky Boy. those Violent Criminals have jobs. They are Theifs, Crooks, Pimps, and entrenched hard core dealers of crack, heroin, and Rx Pills. They do not want your 7.25 an hr job washing laundry for NY Hotel chains.... and most of the people of the state dont NEED our state full of trivial low paging slave labor jobs. We need Industry with Careers, not employment opportunity of 7.25 an hr, after the state waisted 50,000 to "Re Train" them from Civil Engineer to Laundry Engineer.

• 1 month later...

I sent this off from the NORML website to tell them about the petition on Change.org website and I used the letter to draw attention to the fact Nationally attention is being raised about the totally unreasonable and DANGEROUS Walsh Package of bills.

Thank you for using NORML Mail System.

Message sent to the following recipients:

Senator Colbeck

Representative Heise

Governor Snyder

Message text follows:

January 22, 2012

[recipient address was inserted here]

Dear [recipient name was inserted here],

Dear Sir:

The people of Michigan and the Nation are becoming aware of a petition on

Change.org opposing changes to the MMMA outlined in the Walsh bills. We

the people will not stand by while old, sick patients, and the innocent

are subjected to doors being kicked in with no legal recourse. Sharing our

addresses and personal medical conditions with local authorities is like

giving them a shopping list of stores to chose from.

Why turn your back on Taxation and Regulation revenue rather than laying

off policemen and firemen for budget cuts? Citizens are realizing that you

are making the state more unsafe for everyone when a cop loses his job. So

the bills for this "Package" need to be considered again. The safety of

ALL Michigan citizens depends on it. This talking point as well as many

others is being shared with Michigan citizens who had not realized the

far-reaching ramifications.

Fine-tune the bills and take out the Open Season door kicking and remember

the 63% in 2008 as that number has grown.

Please honor the will of the people of The State of Michigan.

Sincerely,

Jeff Smith B.S. MSU C.N.A

I'd soon be embarrassed if I were them. Shame on them.

Archived