Questions About Being A Caregiver..

Train

Basically my brother has cystic fybrosis and he is looking to drop his current caregiver for not meeting the originally agreed upon amount of meds so im looking to help out my brother and be a caregiver for him. I have a few questions about the process first, I have no need for these meds for myself so can I get a caregiver permit or certification without seeing a a doctor?

Second, I am a CPL holder and legally have a gun, if im going to do this for my brother, can I have a gun in the house and if yes can I still keep my CPL? I ask this because my wife would have no problem being the careprovider for my brother to help him if I can keep my CPL and gun. Also if we need to cancel our CPL's has anyone gone that route and what is the procedure of doing so.

I want to thank you ahead of time, I appreciate it!

hmmm... that's a tough spot...

1. you can become a caregiver for someone as long as you don't have any felony convictions, so w a cpl, would think u'd pass no problems.

2. this is the trickier part, as i believe they informed gun merchants that if a person is known medical marijuana patient, then they cannot issue a permit... basically they feel you are then violating one of the questions they have regarding being a user/dependent upon an illicit drug = no gun/permit. but, you'd be a grower for a user, and not using yourself... it would seem perfectly consistent w the laws, to the best of my knowledge.

the problem would only arise if the police came to your home, where you would be both growing & have firearms... so that would then depend on prosecutors & how they would choose to interpret & apply the law. seems like in some places, you wouldn't have a problem... and in others, they might make an issue of it. but it would be a federal charge, so it would have to be kicked up, if you will... and a federal prosecutor would have to take the case. seems like a lot of hassle to violate someone on the gun laws... but...???

and growing itself, though can even be cathartic on it's own... isn't the easiest of endeavors. requires some investment & know how... or the patience to work through the problems. just not the easy thing that most make it out to be... requires some effort & investment.

gotta just kind of weigh it all out for your situation. but you can really find quality caregivers too... for example, i'm looking to change my patient lists, and several cg's are doing this as well... looking for patients with serious illnesses, where they can be a bit more compassionate in their endeavors. i'm positive you can find more than a few quality cg's local to you. peace brother.

The answer to your first question is easy yes you can be a caregiver without seeing a doctor or being a patient. The question on the cpl is more of a gray area and I'm sure several will chime in

Thanks, do you know how you would go about that? http://michigan.gov/documents/mdch/Medical_Marihuana_Packet_3-27-09_272862_7.pdf this form but only check/fill out the caregiver attestation part?

Reply in Bold

Basically my brother has cystic fybrosis and he is looking to drop his current caregiver for not meeting the originally agreed upon amount of meds so im looking to help out my brother and be a caregiver for him. I have a few questions about the process first, I have no need for these meds for myself so can I get a caregiver permit or certification without seeing a a doctor? Simple Answer Yes. Your Bro in Law needs to print and fill out the Change in Caregiver form. take his old cg off, name you as the new cg, and transfer plant count to you. You need to fill in a Caregiver Assertation Claiming you will be his assigned CG, as well as his CG Change form. You ll need copies of your DL and His to send in with the paper work, and a check or m.o. or 10.00 for the change. As only a CG, you can grow up to 12 plants at any stage for him, and hold 2.5 oz of ready to use meds for him, and he can have his 2.5 oz as outlined in the act.

Second, I am a CPL holder and legally have a gun, if im going to do this for my brother, can I have a gun in the house and if yes can I still keep my CPL? I ask this because my wife would have no problem being the careprovider for my brother to help him if I can keep my CPL and gun. Also if we need to cancel our CPL's has anyone gone that route and what is the procedure of doing so.

this is a bit of a conundrum atm. with obvious reasons...Personally, I would say you SHOULD Be safe, as you are not a Patient, but only a CG, but I would suggest a conference with a Defense Attorney on it to be safe.

I want to thank you ahead of time, I appreciate it!

Overall, I think its a good thing your doing.. GL and I hope your Bro in Law has a better go of it....

hmmm... that's a tough spot...

1. you can become a caregiver for someone as long as you don't have any felony convictions, so w a cpl, would think u'd pass no problems.

2. this is the trickier part, as i believe they informed gun merchants that if a person is known medical marijuana patient, then they cannot issue a permit... basically they feel you are then violating one of the questions they have regarding being a user/dependent upon an illicit drug = no gun/permit. but, you'd be a grower for a user, and not using yourself... it would seem perfectly consistent w the laws, to the best of my knowledge.

the problem would only arise if the police came to your home, where you would be both growing & have firearms... so that would then depend on prosecutors & how they would choose to interpret & apply the law. seems like in some places, you wouldn't have a problem... and in others, they might make an issue of it. but it would be a federal charge, so it would have to be kicked up, if you will... and a federal prosecutor would have to take the case. seems like a lot of hassle to violate someone on the gun laws... but...???

and growing itself, though can even be cathartic on it's own... isn't the easiest of endeavors. requires some investment & know how... or the patience to work through the problems. just not the easy thing that most make it out to be... requires some effort & investment.

gotta just kind of weigh it all out for your situation. but you can really find quality caregivers too... for example, i'm looking to change my patient lists, and several cg's are doing this as well... looking for patients with serious illnesses, where they can be a bit more compassionate in their endeavors. i'm positive you can find more than a few quality cg's local to you. peace brother.

When did felony convictions have anything to do with becoming a care giver? I do not recall anything in the law as passed or anything in the proposed amendments regarding this status.

Felony Drug convictions currently, but if Senate gets its way Any felony then it ll expand to any felony and any misdemeanor, then anyone that has the ability to breath, and may one day do something and find a penny on the ground, and picks it up, will be profiteering and be a criminal for finding a penny on the ground.

IE Cystic Firbrosis I am strongly suggesting that you look into a supplement called NAC which stands for N Aceytal Cystine. It is the only supplement i know of that seems to only have good side effects. It is medicly know for breaking up mucus so it makes things easier for people like your brother or those who have COPD. It also has the effect of raising ones mood , takes a bout one half hour to be noticable. It is positive on liver function. Read about it and your brother should discuss it with his doctor. This is zero BS. Swansons Vitamins sells it for a cheap price online.

Do not open up the capsules to try to dissolve it in the mouth. Just don't do it. Awful taste due to the fact that it is sulphur based. Supposedly it is a "sticky molecule" and pulls heavy metals out of the body. Not sure if I have seen anything satisfactorily detailed enough on that but the other claims seem to be well substantiated.

Feel free to PM me with questions. Also I can probably teach you a few things to make the chances of success a bit easier.

Teach a man to fish etc. Teach a man to grow and be self sufficient. It would be a do this kind of thing. A do not vary kind of thing. Then when you had a couple of grows under your belt you can start playing around. I m sorry we tend to do that as get into it. I use those felt pots and I would suggest you go that way at least five gallon ones.

Now of course your going to get fifty people coming out of the woodwork on any growing issue and probably most of them will have merit. i just want to get you going.

Best of luck

When did felony convictions have anything to do with becoming a care giver? I do not recall anything in the law as passed or anything in the proposed amendments regarding this status.

This link will take you to Dick jones bill that intends to change the law from prohibiting persons with drug related felonies to anyone with any felony from becoming caregivers.

Dick Bill

This link will take you to Dick jones bill that intends to change the law from prohibiting persons with drug related felonies to anyone with any felony from becoming caregivers.

Dick Bill

Ahh I think that horse got out of the gate a little late. I would bet there are caregivers with back rounds that already have cards. So they may be grandfathered in?

Another thought: Why would we want to punish someone for a mistake made years ago? They already fulfilled their court ordered punishment.

It would be inappropriate to continue to punish someone after the fact, Why punish those who have turned their lives around? I say encourage and reward those who have turned their lives around.

I would lean toward a cooling time limit for new caregiver app's from ppl with recent convictions. A blanket description ( a Felony ) Is not going to do anything but deprive people of an opportunity

to do something positive for someone else. A description of what felonies and the Length of the waiting period would be more in line with what I would be acceptable.

Also said proposal may violate due process rights, someone would be con-furred the right to be judge and jury! Which may open the gate to many conviction appeals.

Got to love law makers ready to jump without looking. Typical!!!

Is the Caregiver Assertation $100?

The caregiver ATTESTATION is added to the PATIENTS application or change form. If it is a new or renewal being sent, and I mean new or renewal for the patient. Then it is 100 dollars for the entire application or 25 dollars if the patient qualifies for the lower fee. If it a patient simply changing their caregiver then it is only 10 dollars. Please make sure you check the State site - Click Here - to make sure which set of papers you need. If you need any further help pm me I would be glad to help you out. If you get into this please read the law read THE LAW and READ THE LAW...... Prepare yourself with knowledge and things should work smoothly.

Good luck and Good health.

Archived