Oregon House Votes To Legalize Mmj Dispensaries

greenbuddha

Oregon House Votes To Legalize MMJ Dispensaries Posted by CN Staff on June 24, 2013 at 16:45:43 PT

By Lauren Gambino, Associated Press  

Source: Associated Press 

medical.gif Salem, Ore. -- The Oregon House took a step toward legalizing medical marijuana dispensaries on Monday as lawmakers narrowly approved a bill that would license and regulate retail outlets that connect marijuana cardholders with the drug.

Under existing law, the state's nearly 55,000 medical marijuana cardholders must grow the pot themselves or find a person to grow it for them. The bill would give cardholders another option: purchasing their medicine from state-regulated medical marijuana retail outlets.

House Bill 3460, which passed 31-27, would require dispensaries to register with the state medical marijuana program and meet certain quality standards. The bill next goes to the Senate, which could vote on it later this week.

The bill sparked a hearty debate among lawmakers Monday.

Critics said it doesn't do enough to stop what they see as abuses of the state's medical marijuana program.

Rep. Andy Olson, an Albany Republican and former Oregon State Police lieutenant, said the bill lacks teeth to crack down on facilities that don't comply with the new regulations.

"I'm a major advocate for those who are in need of marijuana as a medicine," he said. "I am opposed to the abuse."

Olson said he wanted to craft a new bill for the 2014 Legislature to consider that would address his concerns.

Rep. Peter Buckley, an Ashland Democrat and a chief sponsor of the bill, acknowledged that the state's medical marijuana program has problems, but said the bill was never meant to be a panacea.

"This bill focuses on one thing: safe access to medical marijuana for people who are legally qualified to access medical marijuana," Buckley said.

Emphasizing this point, Rep. Mitch Greenlick, D-Portland, told lawmakers: "This bill does not fight Mexican cartels. The bill doesn't solve hunger in Oregon. The bill doesn't help the Blazers win the championship. The bill does a simple thing."

Greenlick said the bill is intended to create an easy, safe way for users to obtain the drug from dispensaries.

Some cardholders who don't have growers already get their cannabis from the estimated 200 lounges, collectives and cafes operating around Oregon. However, the medical marijuana outlets that currently exist are unregulated and unlicensed. They operate in a legal gray area and run the risk of being shut down at any moment.

Some communities such as Portland have taken a hands-off approach and allow the facilities to remain open. Other communities, however, have cracked down on dispensaries.

Supporters of the bill include Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum who recently endorsed the measure.

The bill would prohibit medical marijuana retail outlets from operating near schools. Facilities would have to operate in agricultural, industrial or commercial areas. And they would be required to test all batches of marijuana for pesticides, molds and mildews.

Medical marijuana facilities would pay a $4,000 fee each year to be registered and the state anticipates 225 facilities would apply for licensure in the next two years, according to the bill's budget report.

The nonpartisan Legislative Fiscal Office estimates the state would earn $900,000 in registration fees from the grow facilities. This would pay for the cost of establishing and administering the licensing system.

Oregon would be the 15th state to legalize medical marijuana dispensaries, after Nevada legalized them earlier this month.

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, Oregon is one of 19 states to allow medicinal pot, along with the District of Columbia.

Voters in 2010 rejected an initiative that would have legalized dispensaries.

Source: Associated Press (Wire)

Author: Lauren Gambino, Associated Press

Published: June 24, 2013

Copyright: 2013 The Associated Press

CannabisNews Medical Marijuana Archives

http://cannabisnews.com/news/list/medical.shtml

Home    Comment    Email    Register    Recent Comments    Help    facebook.gif stumble.gif diggit.gif reddit.gif delicious.gif

Not advocating anything.  Reported the information.

But if you read the article thoroughly, as it appears you didn't, you would have seen that, at least in Oregon, a patient, even with dispensaries available, can still grow for themselves or have a care giver do it for them. 

I personally am totally in favor of FULL LEGALIZATION, dispensaries or otherwise.

Have a nice evening.  

Not advocating anything.  Reported the information.

But if you read the article thoroughly, as it appears you didn't, you would have seen that, at least in Oregon, a patient, even with dispensaries available, can still grow for themselves or have a care giver do it for them. 

I personally am totally in favor of FULL LEGALIZATION, dispensaries or otherwise.

Have a nice evening.  

Surprize! I read the article. I merely was pointing out that these fees for the dispensaries will be an additional cost to their Medicine. 

If you are totally in favor of   "FULL LEGALIZATION"   you are not very partial to MC ? 

Its a Fee Country, have at it. Would that be "FULL LEGALIZATION" via Dispensaries?

Oh that's right your just reporting, sorry ...

Keep up the Good Work!

Good marijuanna costs money, no matter where it comes from..i wish michigan would hurry up and pass. Legislation for dispensarys...you dont like the prices, dont use them.simple thanks for the read greenbudha

Marijuana Costs Money! [even mx!] That's what I'm talking about here. This is an unnecessary added cost to Involve the Middle Man. 

Must be nice. Money to burn?  

Edited by solabeirtan

Good marijuanna costs money, no matter where it comes from..i wish michigan would hurry up and pass. Legislation for dispensarys...you dont like the prices, dont use them.simple thanks for the read greenbudha

The rub with that is the continued arguments by dispensary interests that home grown cannabis, rather than being the top shelf, carefully crafted, safe, and designer dope it has become is dangerous and of poor quality, and that strict oversight of our small cottage industry and self sufficient gardens is necessary, to include testing of a substance that has no record of causing harm. They further argue that patients somehow risk violence obtaining from caregivers. Ultimately we are in direct competition with them, and they will continue efforts to malign us to take us out of the equation altogether, making arguments for quality and purity that are not necessary or accurate, Everyone, without exception, that i have asked to point to any harm done remains silent and cannot answer. No business likes competition, and they need us the hell out of their way. I say to hell with that.

Edited by GregS