Jump to content

Flint Water Residents eligible for Michigan Health Care services

Michael Komorn

Recommended Posts

The MI Bridges website has an Important Message for anyone who was "served by Flint water since April 2014" saying that "you may be eligible for health care services."






Health Care Coverage for People Impacted by Flint Water

You and/or your child may be eligible for health care coverage through the State of Michigan if you:

Consumed water from the Flint water system and lived, worked, or received childcare or education at an address that was served by the Flint water system at any time from April 2014 and a date to be determined in the future, and you and/or your child are:
A pregnant woman, or

Under age 21, or

A child born to a woman who was served by the Flint water system during the specified time period


Even if you already have health coverage with a private health care company or Medicaid / Medicare you may be able to get additional services through Michigan Bridges if you are/were a Flint water customer.


Questions and Answers about the Flint Waiver

Question: What type of health care coverage is provided?

Answer:  If you or your children are eligible, this coverage includes:
Doctor visits for things like check-ups, back to school physicals and shots
Dental visits
Vision care
Nutrition counseling
Behavioral health services
Many other health care services



Question:  What other services can I get?

Answer:  You can also get Family Supports Coordination services. Family Supports Coordination can connect you with medical, educational, social and/or other services you may need.  A supports coordinator will help you make a plan for your family’s needs, including help with:

Scheduling appointments
Securing transportation assistance
Getting lead screening
Improving emotional well-being

Linking your family to: 

Educational resources (Head Start, Early On, Great Start Readiness Program, etc.);

Nutrition supports (WIC, Food Assistance, Mobile Food Pantries, etc.);

Other social services that will help your children to thrive.

Question: Do I have to pay for these additional services?

Answer: No. 

Question: Do I have to pay for my State of Michigan health care coverage?

Answer: No. If you qualify for this additional service you will not have to pay premiums, contributions, or co-pays for your State of Michigan health care coverage.


Question: If I am approved for coverage can I still keep my doctor?

Answer: Many health care providers participate with the Medicaid program.  Before you apply, you can ask your doctor if they participate with Medicaid and any Medicaid health plans.  If your doctor does not participate, they can enroll with Medicaid.  They can also enroll with any of the Medicaid Health Plans to become part of their networks.


Question: Can I apply if I already have other insurance?

Answer: Yes, but if you have other insurance that insurance must be used first.  Health care coverage through the State of Michigan may cover things your other insurance may not, like Family Supports Coordination services.


Question: Where can I get more information about help with other water related issues?

Answer:  The State of Michigan has a website with resources to assist with water related issues.  Visit http://www.michigan.gov/flintwater for more information. 


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...