State Record Keeping

Violet85

I want to withdraw from the registry. How would I get records of my purchase history? Are those even available? 

Questions that address this in other ways: 

What potential info is a patient authorizing the state to disclose when they sign this form: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/lara_MMP_Release_of_Information_5-13_423664_7.pdf ?

Anyone here ever seen an example of a patient’s “detailed history” or a “complete set of records” from the registry as authorized for disclosure in that form? Does it include all of a patient’s purchases as collected under Section 3.1.b. of the tracking act? (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(t0ihcslbwstufc1stg3d0ghx))/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-Act-282-of-2016.pdfOr is the record limited to the patient’s application/renewal forms? 

Finally, is there a provision for the destruction of the information collected and retained under Section 3.1.b.? 

Edited by Violet85
Grammar

5 minutes ago, Violet85 said:

I want to withdraw from the registry. How would I get records of my purchase history? Is that even available? 

Trying to ask from different angles:

What info is a patient authorizing to disclose when they sign this form: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/lara_MMP_Release_of_Information_5-13_423664_7.pdf ?

Anyone here actually ever seen an example of a patient’s “detailed history” or a “complete set of records” from the registry as authorized by that form? Does it include all of a patient’s previous purchases as collected under Section 3.1.b the tracking act (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(t0ihcslbwstufc1stg3d0ghx))/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-Act-282-of-2016.pdf) ? Or is the record limited to the application/card renewal materials? 

Finally, is there a provision for the destruction of the information collected and retained under Section 3.1.b? 

I looked at the computer read out of my record at the dispensaries and it shows every purchase I ever made at any of the dispensaries (that keep records).  I have not read a thing about a 'destruction provision'. 

Restorium2: 

Might I ask how you accessed your records? Did you see your computer records in a state database? In Metrc? Or did you get it from the dispensary itself? 

I called the registry office (at LARA). They said they did not keep purchase records. I also called facilities compliance office (also LARA). They told me that purchases associated with my MML# would be in Metrc but they don’t have a way to get generate those records for me.

19 minutes ago, Violet85 said:

Restorium2: 

Might I ask how you accessed your records? Did you see your computer records in a state database? In Metrc? Or did you get it from the dispensary itself? 

I called the registry office (at LARA). They said they did not keep purchase records. I also called facilities compliance office (also LARA). They told me that purchases associated with my MML# would be in Metrc but they don’t have a way to get generate those records for me.

I got them from several of my contacts at the legal dispensaries. They, the State, have been keeping records since limitations were put in place as to how much anyone can buy in 30 day time period. That was the reason behind the quantitative record keeping in the first place. The records have been compiling since then. Every time you make a buy at a dispensary, any legal dispensary, it goes on the record with the State. The dispensary logs in your card number and all your buys at all dispensaries show up. So anyone who works at a dispensary can access it, and probably many others too. I don't see it as very secure. I think it's relatively easy to generate those records. 

That is my understanding of the law as well.

I  my case, the lack of easily accessible records may be because I made the purchases so long ago that the dispensaries no longer have my purchase records (due software system switches, etc.)

As far as the state is concerned, LARA told me that the purchase history information is not held in the MMP registry; it’s just not part of the patient license record in the registry. (I will request mine to verify this.)

BUT the purchase history is stored at Metrc by default. It is part of the records for the dispensary/facility wherever the purchase was made. I am going to contact Metrc directly and see if they will speak with me. I am not hopeful but I will report back after in case anyone else wants to know for themselves.

Edited by Violet85

As with most situations, I’m inclined to believe that dissemination of inaccurate info stems more from ignorance/lack of critical thinking than it does from intentional deceit; I seriously doubt that the person answering the phone has a full understanding of the system. That irks me as a taxpayer trying to access my sales history but I’ll just keep on pushing.

But what does make me angry is that the tracking system needlessly violates patient privacy. I’d be curious to hear different perspectives on this.

As I’m sure many ppl have complained before me, all of this seems inequitable. The tracking law mandates that medical purchases are linked to a unique patient identifier. But it does *not* mandate the same for adult-use recreational purchases. If there was a legit regulatory need for the state to gather this info on patients, why not keep gather it for adult use buyers too? (I’m talking about the state, not the dispensary businesses.) 

If the intention of the tracking report is simply to limit the amount purchased (2.5 oz/day), that info should be dropped out of the system when it’s no longer needed: 24 hrs, 30 days, a year etc. The absence of a provision for destroying the patient info, especially when so much lip service is paid to privacy protections, seems discriminatory, if not predatory IMHO.

Licensed facilities record and report all sales. The difference between med vs. rec is in how they report the sales in Metrc and what details they include when they do. 

Metrc is the third party vendor that the state contracts to do the tracking and tracing.

As far as I’ve read/been told, Metrc does  not provide a way for facility licensees (dispensaries) to enter identifying customer info for a recreational purchase, even if they wanted to. But when a facility makes a medical sale, Metrc forces them to enter the buying patient’s MML/card number. The card number is a unique identifier that could, in theory, be tracked back to a specific individual by cross referencing it with the LARA registry. 

Of course, all dispensaries can (and probably do) collect and keep info about all their customers’ purchase histories. Like any other retailers, they track sales trends, provide frequent user discounts, etc. But they don’t have to report it to a government database. Plus, they might want to track purchases for compliance, to make sure they aren’t selling over the limit to Angie customer in a day. 

FYI - David Harns is on record multiple times insisting that while the state *does* collect customer info (i.e. MML card number) for medical purchases, it does *not* collect customer info for recreational ones. See here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlive.com/public-interest/2019/12/michigan-is-not-collecting-personal-information-on-recreational-marijuana-shoppers-state-says.html%3foutputType=amp

and here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.detroitnews.com/amp/4308203002

Believe him or not, but, based on the laws, it’s reasonable to assume he is not lying IMHO. 

A medical patient is limited to purchasing 2.5 oz per day/10 oz per month across all facilities. Tracking the purchase activity on each MML card number (via Metrc) is one way the state enforces that limit. In contrast, the limit on recreational is just 2.5 oz. limit per transaction. Again, correct me if I’m wrong here but, in theory, a recreational purchaser (or a medical purchaser that does not show their card) could drive around to different places and purchase 2.5 oz. as much as they like as long as they limit themselves to 2.5 oz at each place per transaction. 

Edited by Violet85