Organ Transplants and MMJ

I have seen posts on the old site and other marijuana forums that using MMJ will exclude you from an organ transplant. I'm here to tell you that I got a kidney transplant last month at U of M and my medical use never came up. I have been smoking nearly everyday for the last two years. Before that I was a casual smoker just three to six times a year. When the transplant team asked me about recreational drug use (several years ago) I was honest and admitted to my then infrequent marijuana use. They never asked after the law passed or I would have told them.

I'm pretty sure they either did not drug screen me or they didn't care. I also can't be sure that the same holds true for liver, lung or heart transplant candidates.

Please sign an organ donor card at the Secretary of State or through Gift of Life

I have started having this conversation with my Doctors and though no one has said flat out that MMj would keep me off the list they would not say for certain that it wouldn't. I am getting a little nervous about this myself.

glad it all worked out for you & wish you a speedy recovery.

This should not stop you from being a donor. If you are dead and you let an organ go to waste who are you punishing? Not those who administer the distribution of organs. You would be hurting or at least not helping someone whose life you can save. If this was a product I would approve of a boycott but this is not a commercial market situation.

I do suggest you get political on this. I am involved with it on that basis. I am still a potential organ donor. I just don't want one of those neocon Republicans getting my organs unless they agree to vote straight ticket democrat for the rest of their lives. I have requested that they ask me before doing that!

i would like to know for sure, i was a donor till i heared about this.

Archived