Medical Cannabis List And Effects 2009!

This is a spectacular list!

As to the science, please understand that the federal government has intentionally put up bureaucratic obstacles to research on cannabis. Only a very limited number of strains (grown by NIDA- the National Institute of Drug Abuse) is available to do marijuana research that involves subjects actually taking marijuana.

To get access to the Mexican ditch weed grown by NIDA you have to get a DEA Controlled Substances license, DEA approval to do your experiment, NIDA approval, and FDA approval. Here is the really neat part- NIDA only studies DRUG ABUSE and the "harmful effects of drugs."

So the ONLY WAY to get approval to study marijuana in the U.S. is to study the "harmful aspects" of marijuana.

I agree there should be thousands and thousands of studies on the different strains of marijuana. Anyone want to guess why the government does not want marijuana research? Afraid of what the science will show perhaps?

Even more they lie repeatedly about it- saying medical marijuana needs research and we have to "wait for the science" and then making sure that no "science" can be done on the issue.

See the article by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director, February 17, 2011 in an article entitled: “What do you know, the drug Czar is Lying Again.” Available at:

http://blog.norml.org/2011/02/11/what-do-you-know-the-drug-czar-is-lying-again

in which the lying sack of bunny muffin says "over 100 groups are studying marijuana right now" when only two studies are going on in the entire world right now.

Can somebody speak more generally about Indica and Sativa, CBD's and THC levels?

For example, do we want high CBD products for pain and nausea- or do high THC products work better?

It may not be as simple as dividing up between daytime and nightime strains but some more general guidelines would be helpful.

High CBD: Good for......

High THC: Good for.....

70/30 Indica Dominant good for....

70/30 Sativa Dominant good for....

Let me weigh in on Purple Kush for Nausea. This is almost total Indica and contrary to the list I find that Sativa dominant gives the munchies (so it would be good for appetite stimulation) NOT Indica dominant which is GREAT for pain and nausea. So the list is wrong IMHO on Purple Kush.

Thoughts?

Guest Happy Guy

See the article by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director, February 17, 2011 in an article entitled: “What do you know, the drug Czar is Lying Again.” Available at:

http://blog.norml.org/2011/02/11/what-do-you-know-the-drug-czar-is-lying-again

in which the lying sack of bunny muffin says "over 100 groups are studying marijuana right now" when only two studies are going on in the entire world right now.

Only two studies world wide????? Here's a partial list; http://www.cannabis-med.org/studies/study.php

Only two studies world wide????? Here's a partial list; http://www.cannabis-med.org/studies/study.php

Thanks for that list! It is most comprehensive on the studies done.

It also reinforces what I said. These studies are using purified pharmeceuticals in pill form (Sativex, 100% THC etc) in almost every case. In a VERY few they use smoked cannabis but NONE of them are using the type of medical marijuana we know and love...

Guest Happy Guy

Thanks for that list! It is most comprehensive on the studies done.

It also reinforces what I said. These studies are using purified pharmeceuticals in pill form (Sativex, 100% THC etc) in almost every case. In a VERY few they use smoked cannabis but NONE of them are using the type of medical marijuana we know and love...

There are a lot more than on that first list, check out the other link on that page. Sativex isn't pure THC. They use mostly CBD rich plants. Pills are only one option. My patients, and myself, use a variety of cannabis ingestion methods other than just smoking it. In fact, one of my patient's doctor wrote no smoking right on the rec. Smoking is a very limited way to get the medical value for some ailments.

These studies give us a lot of insight into the way cannabis works.

Why would NORML say there are only 2? Then they point a figure at someone else for being wrong?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

While clinical trials have been difficult to get approved in the US, those who say that there isn't very much data available about cannabis haven't done their homework. There are many other countries whose governments have been very amenable to human trials. Also, a large amount of research has been performed in tissue culture and animal models.

As recently as this year, the FDA approved a clinical trial for the use of cannabis for the treatment of PTSD, however NIDA (monopolizes the supply of cannabis for research) and the DEA (refuse to let researchers cultivate their own supply of medical cannabis) have stood in the way. As a community, we must not group all government agencies together as the problem. The FDA has demonstrated that they are not opposed to clinical trials of cannabis.

For more information on the recently approved cannabis for PTSD trial, please visit http://www.maps.org/research/mmj/.

it would be malpractice for a doctor to recommend a specific strain to a patient for a specific ailment. For the mmj community to do so, without clear qualifications, would be viewed by the professional medical community as completely irresponsible.

Kurt

When my Mother's doctor signed her recommendation I asked him if he could tell me what strains could help my mother and he said she would want to use an Indica and specifically a Kush would be good for her. Is that malpractice?? My mother didn't ask and I'm not his patient.

• 1 month later...

When my Mother's doctor signed her recommendation I asked him if he could tell me what strains could help my mother and he said she would want to use an Indica and specifically a Kush would be good for her. Is that malpractice?? My mother didn't ask and I'm not his patient.

I'm going to guess that based on the fact that you can't legally prescribe the MJ in the first place (thats why its called a recommendation which is a First amendment protected opinion) malpractice is probably out of the question. While I can see the logic in Kurt's comment and while scanning this thread agreed with a lot of the points he made, I think that his statement about malp was more to reiterate that there is a distinct lack of correlating data between strains and ailments and AT THE VERY LEAST physician's shouldn't be talking about stuff that is missing even correlating data. However, as others have pointed out, there is NOT a lack of scientific study regarding cannabis, I have recently started to uncover strain by strain analysis studies that I have found very informative. Yes there is research blocking happening via NIDA, of DEA and FDA approved research, wrap your head around that. But do me a favor, and others here who are of like mind and trade, don't just make blanket attacks on scientists, we are part of the movement too.

MPP

• 1 month later...

Archived