A Question Regarding A Medical Condition

I suffer from HSV-1 genitally, that is herpes simplex 1. I've tried taking anti-virals for the condition in hopes of shortening the duration of my outbreaks but they don't seem to have a significant impact. The problem is the sores are painful and make getting around difficult to say the least. They at times keep me awake at night because there is no real way to lay down without causing extreme discomfort.

My doctor has advised me to take Motrin for the pain but it makes no noticeable impact, at a dosage of 1000MG. I refuse to take a higher dosage because of the health threats continuous high dosages of such medication can present. Also as a result of my diagnosis I have developed a rather heavy depression, not only because the pain but the stigma of my disease.

So I am curious to know, before spending tons of money that I don't really have to see a compassion care doctor, would this be considered a valid medical condition that could benefit from MM.

I tried it once during an out break and noticed a difference in my mobility and mood (my mood sours completely during an outbreak). I feel awful for trying it without a prescription but I've reached the point to where I am willing to try anything. I've spoken to some fellow sufferers who say during an outbreak it is a life saver, but they all consume it in states where there are no MM laws on the books.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

we_suffer, hi and welcome to the site. I don't know if that is on the list of approved conditions for MM, if it isn't, you'll have to wait till it gets on the list, I don't know how those things are decided. Be careful who you tell about trying it once, even though it helped. There is a list on this site I'm sure I saw that has the approved conditions but I'm not sure how complete it is, there's other sources that have the complete list. I wish you the best and hope you can ease your suffering soon.

Silverblue

we_suffer, hi and welcome to the site. I don't know if that is on the list of approved conditions for MM, if it isn't, you'll have to wait till it gets on the list, I don't know how those things are decided. Be careful who you tell about trying it once, even though it helped. There is a list on this site I'm sure I saw that has the approved conditions but I'm not sure how complete it is, there's other sources that have the complete list. I wish you the best and hope you can ease your suffering soon.

Silverblue

I really appreciate your kind words Silverblue. I spoke to a gentleman at the THC Foundation and he said that he believed under the current rules Michigan has in place for MM that the pain associated with my condition could be considered a true candidate for MM therapy. But I don't want to go to a doctors office or a compassion center requesting help only to be turned away and feel like my pain isn't "worthy" enough. I am really at a loss for what I should do.

I don't want to try prescription pain killers as a few colleagues of mine have suggested because of the real possibility of becoming completely dependent on them to function even after an outbreak, not to mention the plethora of side affects associated with such medication. I feel like I am fighting an uphill battle alone.

I know there are others out there like me who may benefit as well... I am just unsure of how to make our voices heard.

Also I'd like to say thank you to ccpulsipher for your well wishes. It means a lot to know I am not alone.

we_suffer, I think your condition is valid and I hope you can find someone who will be able to help you. I know how it feels to be told my needs aren't worthy of their time, more times than I can count. If you tell a doctor it helped you once, that should be kept in confidence between patient and physician, if I were in your situation I'd wanna tell an MM friendly doc who I know will not refuse to see me because of it.. Oh by the way I love your quote.

Silverblue

Silverblue it makes me feel better to know that I am not alone here. I guess the stigmas placed on this plant have made me feel a bit "dirty" for even considering this course of treatment. But I understand the need for others to use this and feel that I could really benefit.

I have no clue where to turn... this is all a bit overwhelming. Especially after reading about the raids. I don't have any intentions on growing myself as I could never dedicate the time necessary to properly cultivate MM. I have a potential care giver already lined up. His father currently grows for himself because of a hip replacement he never fully "bounced back" from. I guess part of my problem is I still feel like I am doing something wrong because I've lived 25 years and been told it is such a heinous crime.

I hope I fit in well here and make friends. Because right now I could use some on this journey.

We_suffer, it is sad how society makes us feel guilty about things they don't understand or even care to. I know how hard it is to ignore them but I have to follow my heart and push them out of my head. All they know is their assumptions, all they can do is judge, condemn and punish, without caring to educate themselves or at least be open minded and tolerant. Many of them still wouldn't use MM if nothing else worked. MM is legal in MI and other states, but some people are still against it and the image they think it represents. Luckily there are some who, although they may never use it themselves, are compassionate enough to have voted for it and are willing to help us. You have a legitimate need. I don't know much about your condition but I do know there is a stigma about it, again, people make assumptions without knowing the facts, the truth is scary to them because it suggests to them they may've been wrong. Anyway, there are a lot of people here who won't judge you and will try to help. A good cg will help you and may be able to give you MM without charge. I've seen some arguments here on how the law defines compensation for cg services, it's confusing so we need to be sure we understand it. Knowledge is Power.

Sincerely, Silverblue

suf... pain is pain no matter what ailment brings it on and if it is 'chronic pain' it is now, at least under Mich State law treatable by the use of MMJ with a MD/OD 'recommendation'.

But of course the odds of obtaining that recommendation are increased if a person goes to a doctor that is familiar with alternative treatments for pain and one that is open to the use of MMJ.

Anyone that suffers from 'chronic pain', as you state that you do, has a right to seek relief from that pain and MMJ for MANY people supplies that relief.

Once a person has become a qualified patient with the MDCH it is to their benefit of course to maintain a low profile with their 'medications' and to stay within the limits as set by the MMJ law.

But only you can make the decision to become a qualified patient.

Good luck.

Hey there and welcome to the site. Don't sweat the doctors visit. If you have to, call one of the places on this site that are MM friendly and talk to them. No one should have to suffer. Just say no to the pharmacy poison, pain killers only leave you more messed up than you were before. This is, of course, if you want to pursue the approval of the state for MM use. Good luck

It is funny how nobody has a problem saying they take this or that pain pill or shot. If you mention MM for treatment they laugh and think its crazy. It is OK to be high on oxycontin,morphine,codein, etc. I have taken Lunesta, Ambien to help me sleep, its fine to take those even though they are new and probably have much worst side effects that any MM. Ambien makes me kinda trip out and thats OK but MM hell no thats crazy. I just don't get it. We_suffer you should send in your info to MMMCC in southfield they will review it and let you know if you qualify which I think you will. Good luck

Hey there and welcome to the site. Don't sweat the doctors visit. If you have to, call one of the places on this site that are MM friendly and talk to them. No one should have to suffer. Just say no to the pharmacy poison, pain killers only leave you more messed up than you were before. This is, of course, if you want to pursue the approval of the state for MM use. Good luck

Archived