T50 Light Fixtures

Guest finallyfree09

Guest finallyfree09

I finally got my room up and running and have a couple of questions.

for vegging i have a T50 fixture. nothing special just a 4ft 2bulb cheapo from htg. how far away from my seedlings should i keep this light? i have 3 Big Kahuna seedlings, 3 Kali Mist, and one cloud #9... BK is an indica and the other 2 are sativas. anybody know anything about these strains? i will eventually be getting another fixture to hang next to the one i already have for more light but for now i just want to make sure that my light isn't too close or too far away from my babies. ;)

for flowering i have an htg 400W hps. i have a euroreflector and a 6 inch inline duct fan (250 cfm) for ventilation as well. how far away from my plants can this light be once i move into flowering? it has a glass shield on it so i can get closer than the 18 inches that is recommended for a regular light but i don't know how close that actually is. I know it is the heat from the light that will fry the girls but what if there is no heat because of the glass?

years and years of reading high times and other grow magazines have given me extensive knowledge of the basics of an indoor operation but on the same hand, years of paranoia kept me from doing anything indoors. i have a pretty firm grasp on the basics but this is my first "official" indoor grow. these T50 bulbs are new to me as well as the euroreflector.

any suggestions? :)

I finally got my room up and running and have a couple of questions.

for vegging i have a T50 fixture. nothing special just a 4ft 2bulb cheapo from htg. how far away from my seedlings should i keep this light? i have 3 Big Kahuna seedlings, 3 Kali Mist, and one cloud #9... BK is an indica and the other 2 are sativas. anybody know anything about these strains? i will eventually be getting another fixture to hang next to the one i already have for more light but for now i just want to make sure that my light isn't too close or too far away from my babies. ;)

for flowering i have an htg 400W hps. i have a euroreflector and a 6 inch inline duct fan (250 cfm) for ventilation as well. how far away from my plants can this light be once i move into flowering? it has a glass shield on it so i can get closer than the 18 inches that is recommended for a regular light but i don't know how close that actually is. I know it is the heat from the light that will fry the girls but what if there is no heat because of the glass?

years and years of reading high times and other grow magazines have given me extensive knowledge of the basics of an indoor operation but on the same hand, years of paranoia kept me from doing anything indoors. i have a pretty firm grasp on the basics but this is my first "official" indoor grow. these T50 bulbs are new to me as well as the euroreflector.

any suggestions? :)

get this book

http://www.amazon.com/Marijuana-Horticulture-Outdoor-Medical-Growers/dp/187882323X

i use that same htg 400watt hps. i love it i have an open reflector even with that i keep my main cola about 12 inches away from the light. also i am growing blue cheese. that light has worked great for veg i threw it in there when the light came on and dang did my plant explode with growth. i know they say use mh. but so far i have not seen a differnce.

king of buds

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: Waaaiiitt... T50 or T5..? T8/12 are the large diameter tubes, T5 the 1/2"ers..

I wrote it all out, so i'll leave it..

That T50 will get you through pre-veg, might get you through veg too, but to get good proper node spacing a T5 fixture, even a small one, would outgrow a T50 fixture..(I know, will come with funds)

The 2' fixtures with 4 bulbs are like 100$, but it's sooo worth the money.. I payed 250 for my 4' 8-bulb T5 and the node spacing I get out of it is awesome, less than 1' on anything under it..

It's actually somewhat difficult to grow taller plants under them, unless you keep them pretty far away..

As far as how far you can keep your babies from the T50, well, as close as you can without them burning.. If you have a small fan blowing down the bulbs, from the side, you could prolly touch the plants right to it.. they only really produce any amount of heat at the ends of the bulbs.. radiant heat is very low..

AFA the HPS set-up.. I've seen people get as close as 6" with an air cooled.. but they where bleaching the tops of the plants a little... Usually 12"ish for a 400w isn't bad.. when you get to a 1000w it can be as far as 2'.. obviously a lot would also have to do with the amount of airflow you have over the bulb to..

You can use a hand as a judge, I mean if it feels intense to you, it's prolly pretty intense to the plants..

Hope that helps some..

Guest finallyfree09

EDIT: Waaaiiitt... T50 or T5..? T8/12 are the large diameter tubes, T5 the 1/2"ers..

I wrote it all out, so i'll leave it..

That T50 will get you through pre-veg, might get you through veg too, but to get good proper node spacing a T5 fixture, even a small one, would outgrow a T50 fixture..(I know, will come with funds)

The 2' fixtures with 4 bulbs are like 100$, but it's sooo worth the money.. I payed 250 for my 4' 8-bulb T5 and the node spacing I get out of it is awesome, less than 1' on anything under it..

It's actually somewhat difficult to grow taller plants under them, unless you keep them pretty far away..

As far as how far you can keep your babies from the T50, well, as close as you can without them burning.. If you have a small fan blowing down the bulbs, from the side, you could prolly touch the plants right to it.. they only really produce any amount of heat at the ends of the bulbs.. radiant heat is very low..

AFA the HPS set-up.. I've seen people get as close as 6" with an air cooled.. but they where bleaching the tops of the plants a little... Usually 12"ish for a 400w isn't bad.. when you get to a 1000w it can be as far as 2'.. obviously a lot would also have to do with the amount of airflow you have over the bulb to..

You can use a hand as a judge, I mean if it feels intense to you, it's prolly pretty intense to the plants..

Hope that helps some..

my mistake!!!!!!!!!! it is a four fot 2-lamp T5... NOT a t50

As apposed to the standard t5 lamps... the t-5ho delivers 2000 lumens per 4ft tube...that's a nice 8000 lumens on a 4x4 running at about 200 watts. that's a great output. and the lamps run around $10 or so each

The lamps are 10-15$ each, but the fixtures are hella expensive right now..

You CAN NOT run a T5HO properly in a regular T5 fixture.. you would gain nothing.. T5 ballasts are 54w outputs and the T5HO are 95w outputs..

I DO agree 100% on everything else.. :D

Guest finallyfree09

Man, wish we could set you up with a 4 bulb fixture.. or even an 8..

eventually i will have a 250W MH to replace the T5. maybe even a 400W. as for now this will do to get me movin.

i actually have a 400W MH but it is really old and its one of those industrial ones such as what you would see hanging from the ceiling at a factory. i know it works for vegging... quite well actually but it creates SO much heat i am afraid to try it.

I have seen t5ho ballasts with fixtures for about $100 I didn't know is anyone has one local in MI but i have seen then online. They are called t5ho highboys. They are marketed for high efficiency office lights, seeing that they provide a brighter light with less $$ in power that will pump more work out of the little beehive of workers... but i believe it will do our little darlings just fine.

Htg supply has been very good to me when I got legal last year updated to new lights got rid of my old set up went with 1000 watt hps with easy cool 8 fixture was running 400 watt hps with open hood fixture my new fixture put out 3 time the lumes my old one with less heat awesome light also went to HO T5 fixture from htg individual 4foot T5 30.00 dollars apiece with grow bulb they work awesome HTG service was great had a broken bulb on delivery e-mailed HTG they sent me out two bulbs was really impressed with them.But to answer your question the closer you can get your plants to the light the better it is all about the LUMES ! enjoy your freedom , 45days and waiting for card renewal

Archived