Does Becoming A Designated Careprovider Require Michigan Residence?

Topshelf

Good day everyone.

I have done several hours of research on the MMMA website and forum, as well as a number of other online information sources in effort to get this basic question answered.

To my understanding, one needs to provide a drivers license from "A" state as part of the requirements for becoming a designated care provider.

I am being requested as a care provider by a handful of Michigan residents.

My schedule can accommodate the short, out of state commute, and I would consider it a privilege to assist these folks in need.

If anyone can help answer my question, or point me in the right direction, I would sincerely appreciate the information.

I look forward to contributing both here at the MMMA forums, and in your Medical community at large.

Thank you for your time and attention.

No, you must be a MI resident to participate in the program.

agree.

yes you must be a resident. and it's my understanding that that this is proved by having a valid Michigan drivers license or i.d. card. (since you have to take residence paperwork into the BMV for either of these)

i had to go to the BMV and jump through the hoops to prove i lived in MI and get a MI license because my cali credentials would not be accepted.

so why is there an "other" on the application?

i believe that my cali card would have been fine as a patient.... but im not taking any chances. i will wait to have an MI card in hand to cultivate. i have never had legal problems and i dont need them now :)

edit:

(21) "Visiting qualifying patient" means a patient who is not a resident

of this state or who has been a resident of this state for less than 30 days.

this is taken from the definitions page. i assume this to mean a patient only...... not a caregiver.

i didnt mean to confuse anyone.... what i mean is they wont give you a MI card just because you have a MMJ card in another state.... you have to be a resident here.and the OP mentioned a "short out of state commute" so since there is no neighboring states that have MMJ laws (is there :rolleyes:) none of that matters anyways.

fresh c.g., fresh card..... must be MI resident.

(21) "Visiting qualifying patient" means a patient who is not a resident

of this state or who has been a resident of this state for less than 30 days.

i also assumed this meant that since i am now a resdient of MI, if i didnt bust my butt and get patient papers in INSTANTLY, my cali card wasnt going to be looked upon as valid after 30 days.

Well, first.......it is the MICHIGAN medical marihuana act.

And second, the section referring to the cards from other states is below, it only refers to a patient being able to USE MM while they are here.

(j) A registry identification card, or its equivalent, that is issued under the laws of another state, district, territory, commonwealth, or insular possession of the United States that allows the medical use of marihuana by a visiting qualifying patient, or to allow a person to assist with a visiting qualifying patient's medical use of marihuana, shall have the same force and effect as a registry identification card issued by the department.

If you live say, in OHIO.......how are they supposed to follow MI state laws?

Now you've crossed state lines, is it considered a federal issue?

Would you want to take those chances?

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I am still researching a viable location for the garden.

I was considering having to become a Michigan resident and it sounds like that may be the route I need to head.

If you have any advice/recommendations on how to appropriately move forward with this process, I would sincerely appreciate it.

I am interested in getting the ball rolling on all of this, and understand locking down a suitable location is probably the first step.

Once acquiring a location, utilities, and a drivers license, what is expected to become a resident of Michigan?

30 days? 180days?

Thank you all again for your time and attention! I sincerely appreciate it.

No, you must be a MI resident to participate in the program.

Hi Irish!

residency is required in the rules but not in the law.

That is a situation where the MDCH has attempted to modify the law itself.

There is a set list of items, that are established by the law itself, that are required by our law to receive a Michigan mmj ID card. This list is a requirement to the MDCH to issue a card when the list has been satisfied. The MDCH can not decide to modify that list.

I'll continue in this post.

An example of the lack of need of residency requirements is the AD section of the law.

That section has the punchline: "case shall be dismissed."

There are three things that need to be presented for the charges to be dismissed. Not one of those items is proof of residency.

Therefore, if someone from out of state was arrested in MI, they could have their charges dismissed.

They WOULD have to get a letter from a MI doctor.

Oh, I agree Peanutbutter. If someone FROM out of state was caught here delivering they COULD fight it.

I'm talking about being in another state and having a grow. Getting caught by THAT state's LEO, and then trying to say it's for MM patients in MI.

That will NEVER fly.

PS, I only read the law, I don't even refer to the "rules" because they aren't the law. ;)

Oh, I agree Peanutbutter. If someone FROM out of state was caught here delivering they COULD fight it.

I'm talking about being in another state and having a grow. Getting caught by THAT state's LEO, and then trying to say it's for MM patients in MI.

That will NEVER fly.

I dunno .. maybe CA. Seems that just about everything fly's there.

I've been thinking about this residency stuff for a while. I figure that Michigan could become a whole new kind of vacation wonderland :)

Ok, I can see if you are talking about another state that has a MM law. That would probably work.

I think this gentleman lives in a non MM state. That is why I am being so adamant.

Yes there are provisions in the law that acknowledge other states laws. BUT if those states are anti MM......................

How will they be able to convince THEIR LEO to leave them alone, when we can't even get OUR LEO to act right?

Ok, I can see if you are talking about another state that has a MM law. That would probably work.

I think this gentleman lives in a non MM state. That is why I am being so adamant.

Yes there are provisions in the law that acknowledge other states laws. BUT if those states are anti MM......................

How will they be able to convince THEIR LEO to leave them alone, when we can't even get OUR LEO to act right?

Got it!!

I was thinking about all of those farmers in CA still looking for customers for last years crop. I'd bet some of them would love to be a caregiver for MI patients.

re: vacation wonderland, I'm thinking that people from non mmj states could apply for a MI card. That way this would be their favorite vacation location.

Tourist dollars ..

To set the thread straight, I am not looking to do anything in my non-mmj state.

I do not wish to cultivate, transport, or make the argument for using cannabis or mmj in my state as we all know the laws do not support it.

I AM interested in making a commute to a Michigan location I am pursuing at present, in order to cultivate for folks who DO reside in Michigan.

My question directly pertains to whether or not I need to be a resident of Michigan to be a provider, NOT a patient.

I understand one needs to be a Michigan resident in order to be prescribed Medical Cannabis.

I am merely trying to get in order, so that when the aforementioned patients fill out their paperwork, everything goes smoothly and is void of any complications caused on our end.

I am willing to do whatever is necessary to put myself in the position of providing this valuable service.

If becoming a Michigan resident is what it takes, then I need to ask; What is required to acquire residence in the state of Michigan?

If not, then I need to have these folks get their paperwork turned in yesterday :-)

Thank you again everyone! I sincerely appreciate the contribution to the conversation so far.

I am sincerely interested in getting THIS part over and get on to the business at hand of providing the highest quality cannabis possible to the folks that need it most.

All you need is proof of address. Ie~ mail going to an address for more than 30 days.

Then, you can go down and apply for an Id, or license. Once you have one of them, your patient can sign you as a CG.

edit~~ also proof of lease, mortgage etc...... would work for proof of residency

All you need is proof of address. Ie~ mail going to an address for more than 30 days.

Then, you can go down and apply for an Id, or license. Once you have one of them, your patient can sign you as a CG.

edit~~ also proof of lease, mortgage etc...... would work for proof of residency

HI IRISH :D

i just wanted to add one more thing for the original poster. i just moved from california where i was both a patient and a grower. i bought a house in Michigan. i did my homework before moving here and realized that my patient card will not be considered valid (my understanding of the law) after 30 days of living here. well i knew about the 21 day period and the check being cashed thing to get a MI card, so i actually went to the BMV with my title/home owners papers, and obtained a MI license before i even moved my bed into the home so i could get my paperwork in ASAP for my patient/c.g. card. :) my situation may be different because i actually purchased the home, but they did not specify that i had to live here for "x" number of days before i was considered a "resident". they gave me my MI license that day.

and its my understanding that things get REAL hazy/shady/GRAY from there. i have chosen to continue as a patient using my paperwork as my card until my hard-card comes. i also have chosen NOT to grow until that card comes. just my choice...... but i based that choice off of a lot of others on this site and hearing some of the stories about what has been happening. better to be safe than sorry....... and i have more time than money ;)

best of luck to you.... hope you get it figured out

I'm quite positive even if you were to get michigan to give you a piece of paper, your home state would laugh at you.... all the way to the county hotel.. pretty sure that ONLY michigan cops will honor the privledge to grow. Hopefully all these Anxious caregivers will stop putting bunny muffin out there like they're legal dealers. Lets keep our freedom to grow our own, teach people how to do it. STOP acting like children with the right to provide herb to someone, before they see how out of hand some can be. I think that if you cannot grow your own, then the state should side with people and let there be dispenseries. People growing for other people leaves too much uncontrolled.

OK! You FORCED me to investigate. :lol:

Why are we confused? Because residency is different for different things,

The following is taken from the SOM website.

https://www.michigan.gov/som/0,1607,7-192--86428--,00.html

Let's go with getting a driver license, because that is the proof needed to send to the state with the caregiver attestation.

Proof of Michigan residency

Utility bill or credit card bill issued

within the last 90 days. (Electronic

copies are acceptable.)

Account statement from a bank or

other financial institution issued

within the last 90 days. (Electronic

copies are acceptable.)

Michigan high school, college or

university report cards or transcripts

less than two years old.

Mortgage, lease or rental agreement.

(Lease and rental agreements must

include the landlord’s telephone

number.)

Pay stub or earnings statement

issued with the name and address of

the employer.

Life, health, auto or home insurance

policy.

Federal, state or local government

documents, such as receipts, licenses

or assessments.

Michigan title and registration.

(The registration must show current

residential address.)

Note: Residency documents in a family member’s

name may be used if the family relationship can be

established by other forms of documented proof.

This comes from a PDF for what you need to take to file for MI Driver license.

If you are willing to become a Michigan resident, you only need an address here and file for a state ID or drivers license.When it comes to tax time you will end up filing two state income tax forms if you continue to work in Ohio.

Thank you Irish!

That is EXACTLY what I referenced after making my last inquiry and was hoping that list was the definitive set of criteria/documents one needed in order to move forward.

_______, Thanks! I am willing to become a Michigan resident. Once I get through this initial part of becoming a designated and get the ball rolling for my patients, I will be eager as can be(!!!) to talk to one of these recommended Michigan accountants!

Aside from providing to these patients, I am really looking forward to filing taxes for this effort. I am glowing with happiness for all involved.

And for the record....Someone else said Ohio, not me. And I have no idea why any state would laugh when it's none of their business what I am doing to help someone out of their jurisdiction. In addition, I have no intention of telling the local/state news any jokes about what my intentions are regarding my efforts.

Additionally, I do not know what bunny muffin is or is used for but...I am here to get established in this community and to help others. Any assumptions being made about me has more to do with the poster, than me.

Thank you everyone contributing to this conversation. Not only is it helping me and the folks I know that need help, but it is sure to serve in helping others who have yet to discover this great online resource.

Thank you again!

Archived