Medical Co-Op... Legal Or Illegal?

tooslow92

I have read and reread the Marijuana laws for Michigan but cannot find anywhere the rule on a medical co-op. I am looking to have several of us who have caregiver cards form a co-op so we can all grow in the same location and save some money on expenses. Can anyone clarify for me the "ruling" on this topic?

Thanks in advance

I have read and reread the Marijuana laws for Michigan but cannot find anywhere the rule on a medical co-op. I am looking to have several of us who have caregiver cards form a co-op so we can all grow in the same location and save some money on expenses. Can anyone clarify for me the "ruling" on this topic?

Thanks in advance

There is no "ruling" on the topic yet.

Most of us understand that:

1. A caregiver (or patient, for that matter) can grow at whatever location he/she wished to. (given locked, enclosed etc.)

2. Nothing in the law requires that only one caregiver may use any given location.

Many of us feel that co-op's are legal. This has not been tested in court.

Guest Wayne

I have read and reread the Marijuana laws for Michigan but cannot find anywhere the rule that states municipalities can't require registration or inspections of medical marijuana grows. Can anyone clarify for me the "ruling" on this topic? This has not been tested in court.

I think PB has the right answer.

I want to address your reason for wanting a co-op. You claim it would cut down expenses. How would it cut down expenses? Each caregiver would incur more expenses driving to and from the central location. Only the owner of the facility would not see increased expenses in the form of rent. If one members plants got mites, every caregiver would need to treat for mites. Consider the saving on seed stock if just one grower misses a male plant in their garden.

There are some pluses to a co-op. If large enough, bulk purchases of grow medium and nutes might be possible, just trying to find a group of grower all willing to use the same grow medium and nutes might be problematic. I suppose a single security system could serve the entire building, but the risks of rippers would increase considerably because so many people would know the location and have access to the facility.

Several people have claimed how great a co-op situation would be. I just don't see it.

As long as you avoid entering federal jurisdiction ( more than 100 plants in one area or property ) you should be OK. But I agree with EM; what need for a co-op? The risk isn't worth the money saved, which wouldn't amount to much in the end. I still preach that ALL patients should become caregivers as well; this would create a legal chain for transfers from one to another to another and so on. They want to say p to p transfers are illegal; fine. If we are all CGs and Patients we could make it so all transfers could be legal :)! It would take a unification of patients, but it's possible.

Archived