Help With Plant - I Think I Have Algee

budmomma

I have a plant that I got as a clone. It started out wilting and a little dry. I figured out that I needed to water less and pump up the room temp. So now it is growing like, well, a weed. I water once a day, have a fan blowing in the room, and have the room temp at 84. I have the plant in soil, indoors. The soil is organic and the brand is Foxfarm and is made with earthroom and bat poop. I also use Ionic 3-1-5 and rainwater for it. My readings are good. But tonight I noticed that on the surface of the dirt (just on the surface, no deeper) that there is a thin layer of green. I think it must be algee. Any ideas? Thanks!

Thank you! Is the rainwater a good choice? I have hard water and no softener. Is there another way I can get water besides buying distilled? Would distilled water help fend off the algae?

Hello " budmomma " ...

I too have seen at times a very light

coat of algae on the surface of the soil ...

and I do the same thing as " westmich " suggested ...

i just take my finger and ruffle up the soil so that

it is loose ....

I 'm Not so sure algae is a Bad Things for Plants ...

So i Looked it Up :

Is algae harmful to my plants, if so what can I do to get rid of it?

Answer: Algae is only harmful to plants when it starts getting bad, a little algae is not harmful. Algae grows where light & water are in the same place. Algae is a plant so most of the chemical stuff you use to kill it will kill your plants first. HOWEVER there are some new products on the market that work very well for stopping algae formation without killing your plants. The easiest way to stop algae is to block the light from shining on that spot. Poly film (also known as panda film) which is black on one side and white on the other is ideal for blocking the light from the soil/hydroponic growing medium.

Hope this helps you 'budmomma' ?

Archived