Fifa World Cup 2010

Today 736 elite athletes from 32 countries around the world begin "THE QUEST" for the most coveted trophy on Earth. The FIFA World Cup.

There is no better example of sportsmanship or world unity. The motto is "My Game is Fair Play".

Today dreams come true. Today these men walk on to the "pitch" with the colors of their country on their backs, the pressures of success on their shoulders, and HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of screaming fans kicking them in the arse from their living rooms. South Africa has spent the last 4 years preparing to host 64 soccer matches over the next 30 days. The players in these matches have spent a lifetime preparing. Regardless of the general consensus in the United States, it is expected that over 2 BILLION people on this Earth will watch at least one match over the next month. This tournament does not recognize ongoing wars between countries. This tournament doesn't care who is producing nuclear weapons. This tournament will show world leaders who are normally at extreme odds sitting next to each other in the spirit of the game. This tournament is the face of humanity.

It is the World's Sport.

It is the World's Passion.

It is the World's Game.

And this the World's Tournament.

...................... and it begins today. The 4 year wait is over.

And the World is watching.

the first game starts here in a few minutes and i'm watching some of the pre-game festivities. first game is South Africa vs Mexico.

they were showing South African fans walking around the parking lots carrying flags of all different countries. The reporter stopped one english speaking fan who was obviously from south africa. painted in south african colors and wearing a south african jersey. when the reporter asked "why are you waving a Mexican Flag?".......... the fan replied "why not?"

not a problem. s. africa and mexico played to a 1-1 tie. the 2nd game starts in about 45 mins. France vs Uruguay

mexico scored a goal that was called back on a very poor ruling by the official, and with just 2 minutes left to play, a south african missed an open goal shot that my 2 year old nephew could have hit blindfolded. literally the broad-side-of-a-barn type thing and he shanked it off the post :(

so a draw was o.k. by me. well played opening to the cup.

Bubblegrower, I came to appreciate the sport more while on basketball/financial aid in college, I had to make a choice my sophmore year, which was to either play a fall sport or begin a weight lifting and running program.

I decided soccer was an better choice, and it was!! We used to smoke big bongs before practices and games, and we were VERY good and competetive with much larger schools. We had players from 11 different countries and what a blast it was!!

As Indica Jones might say, "Good Times"!

well, for those who care, the United States played their first match of the Cup today and i will say i was pleased with the showing. we played England to a 1-1 draw.

since the boys across the pond were HUGE favorites to win, a draw and a point for the U.S. is just as good as a win. so to england........ i say :lolu:

it looks as though that tie will give us a ticket to the next round.

assuming all goes as planned in the next two much easier matches.

and since we have the new emoticons and i feel like a kid, i have to throw in a tidbit of knowledge so i can use another. game-time temperature was barely above 40 degrees........ chilly in South Africa :coldb:

well......... im sad to say that slovenia jumped to a 2 goal lead before half time. this brought many more beers around the bg camp. we just started the 2nd half looking like..... and im not kidding..... someone lit a fire under our azzes.

landon donovan put a MISSILE through the goal in the 51st minute.

so at the moment we are down 2-1 with just over 40 minutes to play.

and im sick at the moment too :) i dont drink...... and its early..... and we losing :(

It's fixed. Give me a break. I watched the NBA finals game 7 last night and that was fixed, too. Rasheed Wallace: "The NBA is worse than the WWE." What does that tell you? Players and refs are in on fixing games. All of a sudden Kobe Bryant can't even hit a free throw? Keeping the score close to stay within the spread, Kobe?

Refs got caught betting on games they were in. One ref exposed a whole bunch of people when he got caught fixing games. Rasheed Wallace knows because he is probably as legit as it gets in the NBA and he got the shaft from those very same refs that got caught betting later.

Not trying to cast doubt on the veracity of the World Cup, but do you think that ref is on the up and up? I think it's kind of a big deal because like half the people in the world have some kind of interest in these games. If it's a sham then that would suck. Maybe it can help people wake up to the reality of the world. But there I go getting all Conspiracy Theorist again. :rolleyes:

Archived