Family Circle Magazine Article

I was leafing through mags at the doc's office the other day, and flipped open Family Circle...

I was surprised to find a five page article about mj inside!

Upon reading it, I discovered this was an article written from the writers point of view mostly. It was kind of depressing. About talking to kids early about pot and the dangers of the very young being introduced to it. And how kids are viewing it as more and more ok, mostly due to the medical mj movement.

I'm totally not ok with grade school kids casually using any type of drugs, but this article, IMO, unfairly targeted mj. There was reference to alcohol too, but nothing about prescription drugs or other illegal drugs. It left me a little bummed....

Most articles of this kind state opinion as fact. They include little or no reference studies that support their premise or if they do they are biased and not peer reviewed work.

What articles like this "forget" to mention is that teen use of MJ has gone down since 1999. Now they would point out that rates in states with MM have dropped slower than other states. However correlation does not equal causation. States with MM have traditionally been more liberal and have always had a a higher MJ use in teens even before the legalisation in CA.

Don't be depressed by this article. Take action. Write a letter to the editor of FC. Give them the facts. Point out that the article was one sided giving only a skewed opinion by someone who has a financial interest in keeping MJ illegal. Grass root action has always been our power. If editors know they will be challenged on the accuracy and fairness of their articles they will do a better job at presenting a unbiased piece.

Rashore go for it.

Even if your letter does not get published the editorial staff will probably take it into account and print a letter on the subject if they receive a few. Also make sure it was a current issue, I've read five year old magazine in some doctors offices.

You should definitely write a letter to the editor!

Tell them how this article made you feel! If it made you feel this way, it made others feel it too.

Take your time, use spell check, type it out, read it, change it, re-read it, have friends and family read it, then send it!

You will feel GREAT once you do. If for nothing else, for yourself!

<blush> thanks for the support! Maybe I will try my hand at it :)

Rashore... step out of that comfort zone and 'write' a response to the article.

Be 'unemotional' in your response... but get your pro-side out there to them.

As 'Irish' said above... "at least you'll feel better" that you did something positive for something you believe in.

If 'we' don't make our views known they will just keep right on piling on the B.S..

We CAN counter-act this types of miss-information... but we all have to do our part...

and 'this part' might be yours.

well I dunno if the writer had any financial interest in keeping mj illegal... I'm not sure if I'm well versed enough to write a protesting letter either, lol..

I was not very clear. I did not mean the writer had a financial interest but that the people he interviewed did. Just a simple protest letter to what was a one sided piece only needs to be a couple of lines. You might notice someone left an comment on the page. ;) Even if everyone just did that it may influence others that so many people left comments on the pro MMJ side.

Archived