Ip Surveillance System

Good Morning,

I've been looking into upgrading to a hosted IP surveillance system. Essentially, I am concerned about storing recorded video on site, as that can make critical information vulnerable to theft, destruction, etc. I want to find a solution where I can transmit AND STORE live video from a few cameras on a remote system, viewable from anywhere. Anyone have any experience/recommendations for this? I've done some looking on google, but it is a bit overwhelming what with not knowing where to start,

Thanks!

I have just started looking into this myself. Finding a low cost solution with off site storage is not easy. Streaming video from three or four cameras is a huge bandwidth hog. Having it transmit on a schedule runs the risk of having important untransmitted information falling into the wrong hands.

A solution where we all store each other videos would be interesting but it would also leave a breadcrumb trail that could be followed.

I will be interested in what others have to say.

There are regular home security systems that you can use which provide exactly what you are after. It's as simple as using webcams and logging in from a remote location of your choice with a laptop (for portability) or another home computer anywhere in the world. It uses the internet to send the video which could be recorded numerous ways at the other end. (stacks of vcrs, or dvd recorders) Really it all depends how in depth you want to go and how much money you want to spend. Brinks Security may even have this available now. The web cam set up, could be set up to send a still pic every thirty sec's, or whatever time you desire right down to live feeds. It's also a good idea as you can check out your grow this way, live, without having to physically be there.

Depends on how far you want to go.

I have a company I have dealt with as have my frieds which installed a top notch system

We also had an alarm run where it only notifies whoever we want (NOT POLICE).

So....

Alarm goes off, I turn on my laptop, blackberry or IPhone and see exactly whats up....

It was about 4K but I have all the best vandal proof high res cameras possible and have 8 of them.

That was installed and it was a TOUGH install!!

They are in Michigan and a large well known company, if anyone needs serious security talk to me....

Of course for those of you who have your Techie FU going and are also very handy Id say get a TOP NOTCH

system and do it yourself but idiots like me who dont have Techie FU and two left thumbs let me know hahahaa

My system is a 16 channel (only 9 cameras now)DVR that can be accessed from the web and a 3g Phone. Three of my cameras are pan/tilt cameras and you can move them with the viewer. It has a 1 Terabite HD and stores at least a week of video.............HJ

http://www.cctvhotdeals.com/store/standalone-dvrs/16-channel-dvr/16-channel-h-264-surveillance-security-dvr-6.html

My system is a 16 channel (only 9 cameras now)DVR that can be accessed from the web and a 3g Phone. Three of my cameras are pan/tilt cameras and you can move them with the viewer. It has a 1 Terabite HD and stores at least a week of video.............HJ

http://www.cctvhotde...rity-dvr-6.html

With these DVR systems, do the cameras or the computer need to be physically connected to the unit or can it be done wirelessly? I just worry about bad peeps following wires back to the DVR unit and destroying or taking the footage. If the DVR unit could be carefully and independently secured/concealed, than I would be much more open to the idea.

Thanks for the tips so far.

The DVR is a stand alone unit. My cameras are hardwired and the wiring is run in conduit. I went with hard wired cameras because wireless are less secure...My only wiring that is exposed is the short tails that go to the cameras. You could hide the unit and just run the video feed to your monitor or just view them via the viewer program online or via your home network... HJ

You can also set it up where it would record online or at an offsite location.

That is what they did for me, how its done I really do not know sorry....

I would also stick away from wireless cameras etc.... They are pricey and the quality is just not there yet.

They are also easier to be accessed by people you may not want to be able to see your video feed.

Archived