Light Tight - Absolutely Necessary Or Not?

michigankris

I have been having a conversation with another grower recently about the importance of being "light tight" for the flowering stage. My view is that light tight is important. His view is that a little light won't hurt anything - - plants outside have the moon and the stars and are never in a light tight situation. I say - we are not outdoor growing and indoor growing produces better quality medicine (however....I'm in the middle of my FIRST grow so all that I say is either advice from others, theory or what I have read/researched - and of course...all of that information is subjected to the individual who told me!).

So please educate me so that I have an educated opinion.

Is a little light OK or is it important for complete and TOTAL Light tight??

Thanks in advance for answering this question (and any/all of the others that I have posted). I really appreciate how compassion everyone on this site is. Willing to help one another along. Thank you!

I have been having a conversation with another grower recently about the importance of being "light tight" for the flowering stage. My view is that light tight is important. His view is that a little light won't hurt anything - - plants outside have the moon and the stars and are never in a light tight situation. I say - we are not outdoor growing and indoor growing produces better quality medicine (however....I'm in the middle of my FIRST grow so all that I say is either advice from others, theory or what I have read/researched - and of course...all of that information is subjected to the individual who told me!).

So please educate me so that I have an educated opinion.

Is a little light OK or is it important for complete and TOTAL Light tight??

Thanks in advance for answering this question (and any/all of the others that I have posted). I really appreciate how compassion everyone on this site is. Willing to help one another along. Thank you!

if you like seeds..

.--or "happened to me"-- the plant flowers and vegs at the same time...huge leafy buds with almost no zip to it..

I have been having this conversation with someone for the last 5 years. He actualy would go inside my room with a flash light when I was gone because he didnt think It would do anything. 7/7 of his hermied and 3/15 of mine did in a light proof room. I have no idea if it was caused by the flashlight but it might of.

My thinking is the moon does not give off enough useable light to activate the photon receptors on the leaves

0.27 lux the moon gives off on a clear night

32,000–130,000 lux is direct sunlight

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux

It is light tight for my flower room. Hasn't been any other way. Also, according to my patients' comments about quality of medication, I wouldn't even think about changing it.

Great question! Alot of professional growers and advise from the MMMA.

Note for anybody reading: Ask your questions here, you will get the correct information you are looking for to help you with your decision on your action steps to take. I always have.

On a sunny day, go inside the grow room during lights out, adjust your eyes for 5-10 minutes, then look for and patch the tiniest pinholes of light.

I still go through my greenhouse and my friends to check for light; foundations move, windows are not perfect, floors settle especially if you are growing in a basement. Light tight and circulation are top two on my list for my flowering room, I have heard horror stories from a little light in the flowering and I am not willing to find out my self exactly how much light a plant can take. I say do whatever it takes to get that room light tight, there are 100s of tricks, the spray expanding foam is awesome for windows and filling small gaps.

Good luck!

Archived