Props To Bubble Grower

GreatLakesMeds

I'm pretty new here and am just reading up on some of your how-to's and such. I'm amazed. Amazed because I've been growing for a good while, and my mantra has always been "keep it simple." That's why I started growing in soil...but lugging soil wasn't simple. After many trials and almost as many errors, my grow style almost mirrors yours - right down to plain water for cloning, the Lucas system, etc. When I first started reading your posts, it was almost as if I made them.

I wish more people knew how easy hydro can be if you recirculate, mix your nutes in a large container, and just ignore all the little, unnecessary stuff. I'm not knocking the guys who have a different nute mix for each week of a plant's life, but with my system, I can work full time and still provide for patients. My system works, requires little time, and it keeps costs low.

The original thing that got me from a top-feed to DWC - I hated trying to move plants with hoses attached, so I went to DWC so I could run the hose into the bucket....then I found all the other advantages.

A few ideas you might consider:

1. Just last night I decided to try to get away from hydroton forever. Imagine how nice. I took a 3" net pot, cut the bottom out, and stacked two neoprene disks in it. They sit firmly in the basket. I then cut a 3" hole in the top of a 5-gal pai lid. I took my rooted cutting out of the cloner, placed it in the net pot, and dropped that into the buket lid - NO GROW MEDIA. We'll see how this goes, but I'm excited about it.

2. I have a long airhose coming out of my air pumps. I coil it in a 5-gal bucket. My dehumidifier water drips into the bucket with a grommet near the top. The water flows out of the top drain to the sump pump. In cooler weather, I leave a bucket of water outside at night with a hose coiled in it. When the bucket gets cold or freezes, I bring it in and swap it with yesterday's bucket. This combats the hot air those pumps put out.

Keep up the good growing. I wish I had time to make tutorials. I'd love to share my systems with others. It is simple and cheap. If I can eliminate hydroton, it will be even better. All I generally buy from the grow store anymore is: GH Flora nutes, GH Micro, and sometimes some enzyme for root rot. Once in a great while, I need to replace a pump or a net basket or something, but by in large my system runs day in and day out without much fuss.

WOW

ummmmmm

speechless. im glad you found something that works better for you personally.

thats why i am here. thank you for making me know this.

you truly just made my week.

i thank you.

change is good........... until you have changed to what works best for you........ and then change becomes pointless.

I wish more people knew how easy hydro can be if you recirculate, mix your nutes in a large container, and just ignore all the little, unnecessary stuff. I'm not knocking the guys who have a different nute mix for each week of a plant's life, but with my system, I can work full time and still provide for patients. My system works, requires little time, and it keeps costs low.

+rep

more meds of the best quality in the quickest manner is what this state needs.

WOW

ummmmmm

speechless. im glad you found something that works better for you personally.

thats why i am here. thank you for making me know this.

you truly just made my week.

i thank you.

change is good........... until you have changed to what works best for you........ and then change becomes pointless.

My grow style is perfect for me...and after the long road to arrive here, I can't see why people grow any other way (I imagine you feel the same)...but then I recognize that different setups will works for different people in different situations...and this is the danger new growers face. I have helped several (now former) of my patients start new grows. The advice I always give them is: "Pick one grower who is successful, and listen to him and only him and do exactly as he does. Once you can grow using his system, then try changing things if you need/want"

I see too many people going for the pointless change. The guy at the grow store advises he buy some $30 additive, and the newbie buys it - not having any idea how it will integrate to his system. I know one guy who was doing pretty well, then he started using one of the expensive GH additives and did even better. He swore by this stuff and told everyone he knew to use it....only the other guys didn't see any new results - why? Because grower #1 didn't realize that (because he never checked his pH) it turned out to be the pH buffering that the new additive caused kept his pH stable and where it needed to be. I showed him how I mix Lucas in a 55-gal barrel and adjust pH initially and than as necessary, which is maybe weekly.

Different strokes for different folks for sure, but "our" system does seem to be one of the best.

but then I recognize that different setups will works for different people in different situations...and this is the danger new growers face

The advice I always give them is: "Pick one grower who is successful, and listen to him and only him and do exactly as he does. Once you can grow using his system, then try changing things if you need/want"

I see too many people going for the pointless change.

i only have so many +reps today :)

i only have so many +reps today :)

I am having that same problem ;)

You guys are great, and the way you so freely help others is well, inspirational at the least.

BG, I have been quietly reading your tutorials, and posts for quite a few weeks now, and my hat is off to you man!

I didn't start off looking for anything more than some advice, and a few little tips when they spilled out. I ended up stumbling accross a mentor :D

Thanks again for all the great info!

+reps to you again as soon as they let me.

+rep

more meds of the best quality in the quickest manner is what this state needs.

Yes and when I read about people needing $400/oz..I feel bad for patients. I have met growers who do need that much...they don't produce a lot of product and don't have time to work another job....they have not paid for their equipment yet....They keep wasting money on new gimmicks trying to do better.... For them, the cost/oz. is high, and of course the patient will have to pay it. I'm not knocking these growers - at least they are trying.

I try to encourage people to get to a point where they can consistently supply meds, then worry about the new additives or CO2 or playing music to the plants or whatever else. When I added my CO2, I had some issues and wiped out 30% of my flowering plants in one night. I can recover from that. The newbie can't. When I went to DWC I lost half of my plants because I forgot to turn a valve...and my flowering plants ran out of nute solution! I made the mistake of trying a new organic nute, and root rot wiped out half my grow.

My rule of thumb - if you don't have a backup plan to supply meds for 2 months, DON'T DO ANY EXPERIMENTING!!!

I am having that same problem ;)

You guys are great, and the way you so freely help others is well, inspirational at the least.

BG, I have been quietly reading your tutorials, and posts for quite a few weeks now, and my hat is off to you man!

I didn't start off looking for anything more than some advice, and a few little tips when they spilled out. I ended up stumbling accross a mentor :D

Thanks again for all the great info!

+reps to you again as soon as they let me.

thanks so much. honestly.

i prefer anonymity....... as do most dedicated growers.

but the ability to help you all through my words and pics is incredible.

For them, the cost/oz. is high, and of course the patient will have to pay it. I'm not knocking these growers - at least they are trying.

I never really thought of it in that way. I like many others just hear the price and dont really think of how they got to that price. I will be looking at it a little differently now thanks to you pointing out some of the things you did.

I still won't pay $400-$500, but at least I will understand why they are asking it :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived