What Hydroponic Method Do You Use?

ive been using a top-down drip stake + buckets with hydroton and it has been working pretty well. i saw bubble growers directions for DIY DWC "bubble totes" and i am thinking i might set a couple of those up and see how that goes.

anybody have any opinions on which hydroponic method is best and why it works for them?

ive been using a top-down drip stake + buckets with hydroton and it has been working pretty well. i saw bubble growers directions for DIY DWC "bubble totes" and i am thinking i might set a couple of those up and see how that goes.

anybody have any opinions on which hydroponic method is best and why it works for them?

the one bad thing i can say about the drip, is depending on how secluded your grow room is, a ton of stuff settles in your hydroton.

if you are growing in an extra bedroom of a home and you have pets and what-not, i wouldnt even consider a top-drip system. you never want to wash that stuff/hair/dirt down into your water if you do not have to. a lot of bad stuff can settle on top of the hydroton.

if you are in a "lab" then a drip promotes root-rot because it keeps the entire root ball and a part of the actual stem wet as well. this is not good.

its not much different than piling mulch up around the bottom foot of a tree on land.

its not good.

good for veg yes....... great method to promote rapid veg growth. a mixture of the two is even better....... drip and bubblestone in the bottom too. but a PIA do do both when you really do not get that much better results than bubbles alone.

drip tubes can clog. slow moving water allows the chance for clogging. air pumps wont clog.

i used to use a combo of drip and bubbles in my "junior high tote"......... but it just became too much of a pain to keep the drip stuff clean and operating that i just gave up on it 100% altogether.

i hope many more folks chime in with their experiences for you.

Guest drcanna-pest

the bubble totes are genius. I really think that is the way to go. NFT works well too. The bubble totes allow you to experiment a little bit with each plant and have more control. I think it comes down to weather or not your growing different strains at once or a run of all the same strain? Each strain needs a little different loving...

Well BG is right on the money. Bubble totes do work (had to use one in a pinch). In the past I used areo with mixed results (again root rot and tank temps). Later I moved to a hybird system (bubbles and areo) This solved the above problems but cost a LOT to keep going due to 100 gallon tank.

Areo produces good results when its all tuned in and you stay on top of it.

A friend is doing a side by side test on bubbles V Areo. When he gets some info in I will post it.

John

I just started with the bubbletotes and so far so good.... I did get a 24/7 meter to help me with the ph,temp,ppm so it has been pretty helpful. It is crazy how fast they grow in the system, but like I said I've never grown in Hydro so its new to me.

Currently I am trying the stinkbuddies system with some slight variation on plant placement. Really more of an NFT system. I also made it so the fence post can't move around. The zip tie idea is useless IMO. The one issue I see right now with a system like this you can't easily have plants at different heights in flowering.

How does it grow? Ask again in 3 or 4 months. :D

If this does not work out I'm going to hempy buckets and be done with the complex systems. They seem to have the advantage of being able to easily adjust the height of each plant and the plants use less nutrients. The only down side seems to me to be having to water every two or three days.

Archived