What Happen To My Canna Butter

okay, so this is the first time that i ever tried to make canna butter and here are my issues. first of all it doesnt taste all that great. I was told that you could put it on toast. did i just use to much? cook it to long? second, it kinda of crumbles and doesnt really feel like butter, is this safe or should i toss this and maybe start over. i chopped it up simmered it for about 15hrs(every recipe seems to differ) until it turned kinda of a gray color like so many pics that I saw. or maybe this is the way it is suppose to look and this is the correct texture. now do I keep the entire thing in the freezer or can I keep it in the refig. for a short time(less than a month or so). again i thought it would be smooth like butter and silky. btw, i used unsalted land of lake.

how much grass did you put in it? generally an ounce of hi-quality herb per pound of butter - if you want it to be potent enough so "one cookie" gets you medicated.

you cooked it waaaaaaay too long IMHO. and could very well have slightly burned it. make sure you herb is ground up really good, throw it in a pot with your butter and lots of water. yes, water. bring it up to a simmer, so it's moving but not boiling. (the water will keep it from burning) and stir the stuff every 10 minutes or so, you won't need much more than an hour doing this. some people i know do it in 30 minutes.

you should add water during your cooking process. it helps to grab onto some of the yuck plant flavor and keep it from going in your butter. let it cool, throw it in the fridge, then you can literally pull the hardened butter off of the top (fat floats). then warm that up and strain it thru cheese cloth folded over a couple times. very important you freeze whatever you don't plan on using within a week or so, as adding all this foreign matter to the butter will make it go bad faster.

at any rate, the end product never ever tastes "good". it's always gonna taste pretty funky, that is why rather than taking it on toast, you can cook it into something and eat that something, thus for the most part masking that funky flavor.

From a good friend of mine

"Tired of bad tasting cannabutter.....lets wash it

this is a little tutorial on the process by which I make my washed cannabutter.

Step 1 is to grind up the herb. I just run it through a hand grinder but if you feel sassy, a $15 coffee grinder just for your pot is really trick. Next, I weigh it out and decide what I want my dosage to be. I like to dose butter at 2 grams per tablespoon. The butter should be of decent quality. It doesn't matter if it is salted, because we are going to 'wash' it later.

Next, take your butter and ground herb and put it in a wide-mouthed canning jar. Add enough water to fully wet the herb.

Put the jar with the butter, water, and cannabis in a large stockpot with enough hot water to reach up to the shoulders of the jar. Screw on the band but don't tighten it down- hot air and water vapor must be able to escape. Bring the water bath just to BARELY a simmer.

Periodically, remove the jar from the water bath, tighten the lid, and gently shake the contents to re-mix, as they tend to stratify. Loosen the band again before returning the jar to the water bath. Heat for about 2 hours, then pour into a second jar, through a potato ricer to strain, and squeeze out ALL the liquid.

Place this jar in the refrigerator until the two phases stratify and the butter sets into a solid mass. Poke a large hole through the butter and pour out all the water through a strainer to catch any butter pieces floating in the water. Re-fill with clean water and return to the hot water bath. HOT WATER ON COLD GLASS WILL CRACK THE GLASS! Bring the bath back to temperature gradually.

Now repeat the heating and shaking process. You will see that the water becomes cloudy. This is all contamination leaving the butter. Chlorophyll, plant matter, even excess fertilizer salts are washed away, leaving pure butter with the psychoactive compounds.

This is called a liquid-liquid extraction, and takes advantage of the different solubilities of polar (salts) vs nonpolar (hydrocarbons) compounds in polar (water) vs nonpolar (oil) solvents.

Repeat the chilling and separating process, re-fill with water, heat again. The third time, the water should remain quite clear, and when you pour it out, pour it through a permanent coffee filter (the metal kind) to remove any large particles still remaining. This time when you chill it, you will notice what a lovely pale green color it is, and also that it smells like sweet butter and hash, but not really like pot.

When you cook with washed butter, the cannabis flavors are very subdued, to the point where you may not even notice any at all. Nice stuff".

origin of post

http://www.cannacollective.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?720-Tired-of-bad-tasting-cannabutter.....lets-wash-it

Hope this helps

What tempature did you cook your butter at? Also did you grind up the MM and strain it out of the butter water mix. I've not seen or heard of gray looking butter. May have over cooked it at to high a temp. I have recipes that taste good as well as one where you can 'dress' up the flavor.

Dizz

From a good friend of mine

"Tired of bad tasting cannabutter.....lets wash it

this is a little tutorial on the process by which I make my washed cannabutter.

Step 1 is to grind up the herb. I just run it through a hand grinder but if you feel sassy, a $15 coffee grinder just for your pot is really trick. Next, I weigh it out and decide what I want my dosage to be. I like to dose butter at 2 grams per tablespoon. The butter should be of decent quality. It doesn't matter if it is salted, because we are going to 'wash' it later.

Next, take your butter and ground herb and put it in a wide-mouthed canning jar. Add enough water to fully wet the herb.

Put the jar with the butter, water, and cannabis in a large stockpot with enough hot water to reach up to the shoulders of the jar. Screw on the band but don't tighten it down- hot air and water vapor must be able to escape. Bring the water bath just to BARELY a simmer.

Periodically, remove the jar from the water bath, tighten the lid, and gently shake the contents to re-mix, as they tend to stratify. Loosen the band again before returning the jar to the water bath. Heat for about 2 hours, then pour into a second jar, through a potato ricer to strain, and squeeze out ALL the liquid.

Place this jar in the refrigerator until the two phases stratify and the butter sets into a solid mass. Poke a large hole through the butter and pour out all the water through a strainer to catch any butter pieces floating in the water. Re-fill with clean water and return to the hot water bath. HOT WATER ON COLD GLASS WILL CRACK THE GLASS! Bring the bath back to temperature gradually.

Now repeat the heating and shaking process. You will see that the water becomes cloudy. This is all contamination leaving the butter. Chlorophyll, plant matter, even excess fertilizer salts are washed away, leaving pure butter with the psychoactive compounds.

This is called a liquid-liquid extraction, and takes advantage of the different solubilities of polar (salts) vs nonpolar (hydrocarbons) compounds in polar (water) vs nonpolar (oil) solvents.

Repeat the chilling and separating process, re-fill with water, heat again. The third time, the water should remain quite clear, and when you pour it out, pour it through a permanent coffee filter (the metal kind) to remove any large particles still remaining. This time when you chill it, you will notice what a lovely pale green color it is, and also that it smells like sweet butter and hash, but not really like pot.

When you cook with washed butter, the cannabis flavors are very subdued, to the point where you may not even notice any at all. Nice stuff".

origin of post

http://www.cannacoll......lets-wash-it

Hope this helps

I do clarified cannabutter in a way very similar to this. It is very lovely!

What tempature did you cook your butter at? Also did you grind up the MM and strain it out of the butter water mix. I've not seen or heard of gray looking butter. May have over cooked it at to high a temp. I have recipes that taste good as well as one where you can 'dress' up the flavor.

Dizz

i cooked it at a med in a crook pot(did i spell that right)(dont think so)lol. any ways, and yes i grounded it up very nicely. and then strained it using a cheese cloth. its not gray looking now its is green. just kind of gray when it was cooking. i cooked it for about 19hrs or so. simmered if that it was never really hot where i couldnt put my finger in it.. when it was done i just lifted it off of the water and scraped off the bottom. i just know i wouldnt want to eat it on toast. i am going to make some brownies tonight and see how they taste.

You cooked it waaaaaaaaay too long. The key with cannabutter is to make sure you dont burn the THC during the extraction process. You have to simmer for no longer than 2-3 hours and keep a constant watch on it. I stir every time it starts to bubble. I just made some last week and it turned out fantastic.

I've also been through what your going through. Trial and error will lead you to success. It's always a bummer though when it doesn't turn out right given the amount of time and resources that went into it. You'll get it eventually.

Archived