If It Happens In California Could It Happen Here?

greenbuddha

Unfortunately, I believe the prohibitionists are laying the ground work now to fight against any decriminalization (aka legalization) here in Michigan and other MMJ states. That is why we are seeing increased busts, and television coverage of those busts... it is about keeping anything to do with marijuana as increasing crime in the minds of the general populace.

I can't see recreational use being "legalized" here in Michigan anytime soon, even if Prop 19 passes. It's just too soon after the medical side has become barely accepted in a majorities minds, and to push it further might meet a brick wall of those not ready for the transition. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think I am.

Unfortunately, I believe the prohibitionists are laying the ground work now to fight against any decriminalization (aka legalization) here in Michigan and other MMJ states. That is why we are seeing increased busts, and television coverage of those busts... it is about keeping anything to do with marijuana as increasing crime in the minds of the general populace.

I can't see recreational use being "legalized" here in Michigan anytime soon, even if Prop 19 passes. It's just too soon after the medical side has become barely accepted in a majorities minds, and to push it further might meet a brick wall of those not ready for the transition. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think I am.

I think a great deal of what will happen after Cal legalizes it will depend on what the politicians in Washington do.

So it's VERY important as to whom we put into governmental positions this November.

But it's going to be DAMNED interesting for us all if Cal legalizes it... our pols at both the STATE and FEDERAL level are going to poop their panties.

Prozac sales in Lansing AND Washington are going to skyrocket!

I hope you have plans to VOTE, Rev?

It's way too soon to try legalizing it here. I've been saying this all along. If we try it now we'll surely be accused of using MM as a backdoor, many are already saying that, many have said it is a backdoor, I think the head of NORML may've even said so. This is very damaging to the MM community and any hopes of full legalization in the future. This is going way too fast. We don't wanna go backwards and lose all we worked so hard for- losing it would be horrible for everyone fighting to prove they are legal under our current law. In CA, MM has been in place for awhile, so legalizing it has the best chance of passing over there. It'll be harder to do it in MI. Now is NOT the time to try. I wish people could see that and leave the issue alone. Our MM law is almost 2 years old and still very fragile. We need to stay focused on keeping it alive and strong.

Pushing the dispensary issue is hurting us far more than many realize. This is not an anti-dispensary statement, it's just an opinion.

Any controversial law will be very fragile, look at CA and the gay marriage issue, it was legal for awhile, till the anti's took it away. Whether or not we agree on that issue, the point is, a right was voted on, then taken away. Remember that.

Sb

Guest finallyfree09

the only way that the herb will be legal here is if the feds legalize it or, the supreme court tosses out the controlled substance act. in the gonzales vs raich decision, justice thomas gave his dissenting opinion. in that opinion he GAVE antiprohibitionists the proper wording to use to challenge cannabis prohibition but as usual the ball was dropped.

go back and do some reading... i think he gave us the brass ring... we jsut don't know what to do with it.

It's way too soon to try legalizing it here. I've been saying this all along. If we try it now we'll surely be accused of using MM as a backdoor, many are already saying that, many have said it is a backdoor, I think the head of NORML may've even said so. This is very damaging to the MM community and any hopes of full legalization in the future. This is going way too fast. We don't wanna go backwards and lose all we worked so hard for- losing it would be horrible for everyone fighting to prove they are legal under our current law. In CA, MM has been in place for awhile, so legalizing it has the best chance of passing over there. It'll be harder to do it in MI. Now is NOT the time to try. I wish people could see that and leave the issue alone. Our MM law is almost 2 years old and still very fragile. We need to stay focused on keeping it alive and strong.

Pushing the dispensary issue is hurting us far more than many realize. This is not an anti-dispensary statement, it's just an opinion.

Any controversial law will be very fragile, look at CA and the gay marriage issue, it was legal for awhile, till the anti's took it away. Whether or not we agree on that issue, the point is, a right was voted on, then taken away. Remember that.

Sb

Silver, I think you can relax because the way Michigan progresses toward things even if California legalizes it this November it will be ten years at least before Michigan ever gets around to even thinking about doing the same thing.

So... don't worry... be happy.

And if Cal does legalize it I for one won't wait for Michigan, I'll be moving to Cal this year.

I'll miss the snow though... but it'll be worth the sacrifice I think.

Gb, I wouldn't be so quick to move there. Think about what would happen, mass influx of new residents, AND fed law conflict. I'm gonna stay here and work on keeping our MM law strong, not gonna push the issue here, and see how it goes, who knows what'll happen.

Sb

A little review of history and an opinion. California did medical marijuana in 1997, Michigan thirteen years later in 2008. California 11/10 is going (due to a budget crunch) to legalize mj in order to pop on a $50 tax per ounce and Michigan will do the same thing in 2021. Meanwhile, starting RIGHT NOW!!! every Michigan dispensary, coop, grower and caregiver should voluntarily contribute $50 per ounce sold to the MMMA Legal Defense Fund so that every mm defendant who ends up with court appointed counsel has the benefit of the best available up-to-the-minute mm co-counsel from the mmma. Mm is a war not a battle; wars require long term funding, infrastructure and highly trained officers at the front representing the warriors.

A little review of history and an opinion. California did medical marijuana in 1997, Michigan thirteen years later in 2008. California 11/10 is going (due to a budget crunch) to legalize mj in order to pop on a $50 tax per ounce and Michigan will do the same thing in 2021. Meanwhile, starting RIGHT NOW!!! every Michigan dispensary, coop, grower and caregiver should voluntarily contribute $50 per ounce sold to the MMMA Legal Defense Fund so that every mm defendant who ends up with court appointed counsel has the benefit of the best available up-to-the-minute mm co-counsel from the mmma. Mm is a war not a battle; wars require long term funding, infrastructure and highly trained officers at the front representing the warriors.

Pic, IMHO your idea of donations to a legal fund is a very good idea. As long as the money actually made into a 'legal fund' and there was a 'reporting and 'recording' of how the funds are distributed and spent.

And as you said, California has ALREADY legalized 'medical' marijuana.

The vote this November is to 'legalize' marijuana for use by the 'general' public.

And 'yes' they will probably tax it heavily.

But I think you'll see legislation / laws passed, at least in California so that 'MEDICAL MARIJUANA', MMJ' is sold to the 'medical patients' that need it TAX FREE, if cannabis is legalized by the voters..

AND that is what should be done here in Michigan... NO TAX on MMJ... other medications here in Michigan ARE NOT TAXED.

Gb, I wouldn't be so quick to move there. Think about what would happen, mass influx of new residents, AND fed law conflict. I'm gonna stay here and work on keeping our MM law strong, not gonna push the issue here, and see how it goes, who knows what'll happen.

Sb

Silver, It's a good fight where ever it's undertaken.

And with the internet you can fight from more than just ONE front these days.

But I think I'll try putting up with palm trees and sunshine year round for a while and see how my system takes it.

Besides I've been on the 'FRONT' for a long time now.... might as well go somewhere where I can at least tell myself 'it's legal', and the sun doesn't shine enough in the winter in Amsterdam.

So if Cal passes it into law I think I'll go there 'to wait and see what happens'.

Keep smilin'.

I believe that when prop 19 passes and politicians can see money being generated, by taxes, and tourists. Then we will see congress start changing things. But I also worry about Washington's reaction when prop 19 passes. Will Obama try to sue, California? Or will he take a hands off approach.

You are spot on. We are lucky enough to have MMJ here, and even that is seemingly impossible for the right wingers to accept. Full blown legalization would be crushed here for years to come. Legalization, if it even passes in Cali and isn't overturned there, will very slowly trickle through the most liberal states first.

I wouldn't see legalization as an even near possibility in Michigan for at least another decade. You have to remember this state has a huge population of prohibitionist voters, AKA the reefer madness generation. When they are gone it might stand a chance.

You are spot on. We are lucky enough to have MMJ here, and even that is seemingly impossible for the right wingers to accept. Full blown legalization would be crushed here for years to come. Legalization, if it even passes in Cali and isn't overturned there, will very slowly trickle through the most liberal states first.

I wouldn't see legalization as an even near possibility in Michigan for at least another decade. You have to remember this state has a huge population of prohibitionist voters, AKA the reefer madness generation. When they are gone it might stand a chance.

California here I come.

Sunny days in a beautiful haze.

Once the money starts to flow and there is NO CRIME WAVE as the 'prohibitionists' claim will happen as a result of legalization just watch the number of politicians that get on board.

You won't be able to beat them off with a stick. They'll be pushing each other overboard to get their cut. Wait and see.

If the county commissioners understood the cost of prohibition it would end tomorrow. If they understood the size and dollar value of the unregulated black market for cannabis and potential tax revenue it could generate, prohibition would end today.

The cost of criminalization of cannabis including the inefficiencies it introduces into the economy are simply too high, particularly as cannabis has recognized positive medicinal properties.

It will be the intolerable economic price that will eventually end prohibition. Somehow I suspect if mankind is still around a hundred years from now the whole idea of putting people in jail for pot will seem really dumb.

If the county commissioners understood the cost of prohibition it would end tomorrow. If they understood the size and dollar value of the unregulated black market for cannabis and potential tax revenue it could generate, prohibition would end today.

The cost of criminalization of cannabis including the inefficiencies it introduces into the economy are simply too high, particularly as cannabis has recognized positive medicinal properties.

It will be the intolerable economic price that will eventually end prohibition. Somehow I suspect if mankind is still around a hundred years from now the whole idea of putting people in jail for pot will seem really dumb.

Nicely put.

I especially like the part about us 'being around in a hundred years'.

Pic, IMHO your idea of donations to a legal fund is a very good idea. As long as the money actually made into a 'legal fund' and there was a 'reporting and 'recording' of how the funds are distributed and spent.

And as you said, California has ALREADY legalized 'medical' marijuana.

The vote this November is to 'legalize' marijuana for use by the 'general' public.

And 'yes' they will probably tax it heavily.

But I think you'll see legislation / laws passed, at least in California so that 'MEDICAL MARIJUANA', MMJ' is sold to the 'medical patients' that need it TAX FREE, if cannabis is legalized by the voters..

AND that is what should be done here in Michigan... NO TAX on MMJ... other medications here in Michigan ARE NOT TAXED.

:thumbsu:

Sb

Silver, It's a good fight where ever it's undertaken.

And with the internet you can fight from more than just ONE front these days.

But I think I'll try putting up with palm trees and sunshine year round for a while and see how my system takes it.

Besides I've been on the 'FRONT' for a long time now.... might as well go somewhere where I can at least tell myself 'it's legal', and the sun doesn't shine enough in the winter in Amsterdam.

So if Cal passes it into law I think I'll go there 'to wait and see what happens'.

Keep smilin'.

Gb OK, remember the earthquakes and be careful. I hope you can afford to live there, property taxes are very high, other taxes, too, utility costs, housing costs, very high too. I sure hope you're not as poor and disabled as me, many people, including me, waited for several years to qualify for subsidized housing, people have died while waiting on that list. Me and some friends never got it and gave up. They messed with the SSI benefits there, too. People on disability can't get food stamps, and as far as I know that's still true. There's also no rent control in some areas. Before you take off for greener pastures and sunshine, please check things out first. If you can survive there, I'll be very happy for you. Please remember us, ok?

Sb

Gb OK, remember the earthquakes and be careful. I hope you can afford to live there, property taxes are very high, other taxes, too, utility costs, housing costs, very high too. I sure hope you're not as poor and disabled as me, many people, including me, waited for several years to qualify for subsidized housing, people have died while waiting on that list. Me and some friends never got it and gave up. They messed with the SSI benefits there, too. People on disability can't get food stamps, and as far as I know that's still true. There's also no rent control in some areas. Before you take off for greener pastures and sunshine, please check things out first. If you can survive there, I'll be very happy for you. Please remember us, ok?

Sb

My life has also been a struggle... as most people's have I believe.

While in California I'll be doing a great deal of volunteer work for what I believe are some worthy causes as long as my own health holds up.

And being alive ALWAYS costs us something... and I believe that as long as we are alive we're not done 'paying' yet... but I'll keep on 'doing' until I can't 'do' anymore... and you should do the same.

And please don't worry about me... survival is the one thing that is ingrained in ALL of us... and I believe as long as a person is trying to do what they think is good and right good things occasionally come their way.

So thanks for the good wishes and be well.

And remember, it's not WHERE you live that counts ... it's HOW you live.

Gb, I know, re: It's not where you live but how. This is part of the message I try to get across to people who think in narrow terms. They can believe in something but not act on it, and, no matter where they live, they're still the same person, even if they change their appearance. It has to come from the inside.

It's very tempting to move back there if that law goes through. I must consider how practical it would be to move because of one thing. It depends on how important that thing is. While it is very important to me, it'd be harder for me to return there and try to survive, due to other factors that have changed since I arrived there, which have caused me to leave 24 years later. Moving is so stressful, I doubt I'll ever move that far again.

Volunteering is very rewarding, I know, I've been a volunteer for many years.

Be well and stay intouch.

Sb

Silver, I think you can relax because the way Michigan progresses toward things even if California legalizes it this November it will be ten years at least before Michigan ever gets around to even thinking about doing the same thing.

So... don't worry... be happy.

And if Cal does legalize it I for one won't wait for Michigan, I'll be moving to Cal this year.

I'll miss the snow though... but it'll be worth the sacrifice I think.

hey it snows in California too! so have a good trip!

Archived