Grand Haven City Council Passes Home Based Medical Marihuana Ordinance

Grand Haven City Council Passes Home based Medical Marihuana Ordinance

GRAND HAVEN, Mich. (WZZM) -- The Grand Haven City Council passed an ordinance this week allowing home-based medical marijuana caregivers to operate within the city.

The decision follows a moratorium issued back in February. Registered caregivers now have to right to grow and distribute marijuana from their home.

Caregivers who grow marijuana must work from home as licensed home businesses. They may not open storefront dispensaries like those that are allowed in California.

Also, caregivers can only operate from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m. with never more than two patients in the same home. The home businesses must be at least 1,000 feet from the nearest school.

Grand Haven City Planner Kristin Keery says the city believes the caregiving should be a home grown industry.

"We felt the design was the right one," she said. "It gives us the ability to regulate and at the same time not permit it within our commercial corridors... because it's not meant to be an economic generator. It's not a business in the traditional sense."

Keery says the state law's language is too broad. The council wanted to make sure they had regulations tailored to the city.

"We felt that by allowing it as a home occupation and having some consistency within our area, that's how staff planners are presenting it to their planning commissions and then to their council," she said. "I think it's a good starting point, I like the fact that we're all on the same page with it."

She said regulation and enforcement policies need to be clear for the city and for police.

"We wanted to aid in our officer's enforcements efforts," she said. We also did that so that we're not unfairly targeting certain residences that are running a legitimate business."

Michael A. Komorn

Attorney and Counselor

Law Office of Michael A. Komorn

3000 Town Center, Suite, 1800

Southfield, MI 48075

800-656-3557 (Toll Free)

248-351-2200 (Office)

248-357-2550 (Phone)

248-351-2211 (Fax)

Email: michael@komornlaw.com

Check out our Radio show:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/planetgreentrees

NEW CALL IN NUMBER: (347) 326-9626

Live Every Wednesday 8-9:30 p.m.

PLANET GREENTREES

w/ Attorney Michael Komorn

The most relevant radio talk show for the Michigan Medical Marijuana Community. PERIOD.

If you have a medical marihuana question or comment, please email them to me, or leave them on the forum for the MMMA, and I will try to answer them live on the air.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/planetgreentrees

PLANET GREENTREES Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626

Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626

Thanks Michael, so what are the details of this? ie. licensing fees?

I am not sure, I just saw the article, i am curious as well as to what the exact rules are. If they require a registration locally and if so what kind of infomration they need to provide, (something that has appeared on some of the municipalities and cities proposed ordinances), and something i think creates problems. Caregivers giving any information to any government agency can be a recipe for disaster. Also i am curious as to how they intend to enforce the "rules."On a side note I think it is interesting that this is what they came up with in light of all that has been going on. If you learn anything about licensing please post.

at least its a start, to provide at least guidelines for what they expect, and a model to test at any rate. if they can figure out licensing to keeping privacy laws intact, and if the city is liberal in its 2 patient rule, meaning there should be a test period to see if 2 patients at a time is workable, i see alot of cars standing curbside waiting for their turn.

I wonder how Kristin Keery will feel when her next-door neighbor gets broken into and ripped off. Home grows are ALWAYS a suboptimal solution. Because the cars will show them where to go. Just like Lansing's, this is an ill-considered ordinance that will probably lead to increased violence in neighborhoods. As my old friend Bob Schuon used to say, "I admire your intentions, but I deplore your judgment."

http://www.grandhaven.org/uploads/pdf_documents/agendas/council/092010cm.pdf

I assume they passed the draft. It starts on page 118.

I am not sure, I just saw the article, i am curious as well as to what the exact rules are. If they require a registration locally and if so what kind of infomration they need to provide, (something that has appeared on some of the municipalities and cities proposed ordinances), and something i think creates problems. Caregivers giving any information to any government agency can be a recipe for disaster. Also i am curious as to how they intend to enforce the "rules."On a side note I think it is interesting that this is what they came up with in light of all that has been going on. If you learn anything about licensing please post.

I live very close and will stay in touch if I hear anything. It will be interesting to see what Muskegon does. Hopefully, they embrace MMJ. There are no jobs here. I would like to get a little bigger and hire a tender to work with me. That's one job.

Archived