Owosso Officer Fired

Owosso police officer fired over LEIN INFO Misuse. And some of my coments at the bottom

..Home News Community Owosso .FOIA data: Owosso officer was fired for LEIN misuse

By GARY RIDLEY, Argus-Press Staff Writer | 0 comments

OWOSSO — According to information from the Michigan State Police obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request, an Owosso police officer was fired for allegedly disclosing confidential information and other policy violations.

Information obtained under FOIA by The Argus-Press reveals that former Owosso police officer Kevin Pettigrew was fired following an internal investigation after it was determined he may have disclosed information from the Michigan Law Enforcement Information Network (LEIN) to an unauthorized person, a misdemeanor offense.

LEIN is a computer network that files and provides access to criminal justice records for law enforcement agencies statewide.

According to the information received, the Michigan State Police was contacted in June by Owosso Deputy Police Director Michael Rau, who requested a list of all LEIN inquiries made by Pettigrew from Sept. 1, 2009, to June 22 of this year.

On July 6, Owosso Director of Public Safety Michael Compeau contacted the state police and notified them that LEIN information may have been disclosed to an unauthorized person. Compeau requested a letter advising him of how to proceed.

A letter was sent to Compeau on July 12 from the Michigan State Police requesting an investigation into the allegations.

The state police received a letter on Aug. 25 from Compeau stating Pettigrew’s employment had been terminated as a result of the internal investigation.

“Multiple policy violations, including the LEIN violation, led to the termination,” the information from the Michigan State Police said.

A Freedom of Information Act request by The Argus-Press seeking information on the internal investigation was denied by the city of Owosso Aug. 27. The Argus-Press has since appealed the denial. On Sept. 17, the city of Owosso requested a 10-day extension to respond to the appeal. The outcome of the appeal is still pending.

Previously, the city confirmed it had launched an internal investigation into complaints made by former city council member Mike Cline, who claimed police officers were harassing and following him.

Cline filed a complaint with the city against Owosso police officers in regard to his Sept. 27, 2009, drunk driving arrest because he believed the officers stopped him in retaliation for his support of Director of Public Safety Mike Compeau, who at the time was the target of a petition seeking to eliminate the director of public safety position.

According to the information received from the Michigan State Police, Pettigrew allegedly pulled over a wrecker because he believed it was being driven by a person he was trying to find. Cline claimed Pettigrew was looking for him.

“The officer told the driver of the wrecker that he pulled the wrecker over because the driver resembled a person whom the officer knew had a suspended license,” the information from the Michigan State Police states. “The officer disclosed the name of the driver he was looking for and the information that the driver had a suspended license to the driver of the wrecker.”

Cline was not driving the wrecker when the officer stopped the vehicle.

Cline’s license was suspended after he pleaded guilty to his second offense of operating a vehicle while intoxicated. He was also sentenced to 15 days in jail and 12 months of probation.

Cline was arrested about 2:20 a.m. Sept. 27, 2009, by Owosso police officers near his home in the 400 block of North Chipman Street.

According to a police report, officers decided to stop Cline after witnessing him strike a curb with his vehicle on West Main Street. Cline denied striking a curb.

Owosso City Attorney William Brown said shortly after the incident that attempts to administer a breathalyzer were unsuccessful so Cline was taken to Memorial Healthcare for a blood alcohol test.

“I did blow into a breathalyzer two times in the back seat of the Owosso police car,” Cline said shortly after his arrest. “I was never given the ABC's or the 1-2-3’s or any of that other stuff.”

The blood test results showed Cline had a blood alcohol content of .14 — nearly twice Michigan’s legal limit of .08.

According to police reports, Cline had previous drunk driving arrests in 1986 and 1990.

The results of the investigation into Pettigrew’s actions were forwarded to the county prosecutor for review.

The Michigan State Police received a letter from Compeau Sept. 7 stating that the prosecutor declined to issue charges.

According to state law, the first offense of misusing LEIN is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 93 days in jail and a fine of no more than $500.

The second and each subsequent violation is a felony punishable by up to four years in prison and a fine of no more than $2,000.

More Coverage

•Owosso police officer fired following investigation

Kletis

Is it 420 yet ??

message previewKletis

Not only should these officers be worried about termination . They should worry about the jail time involved. Dont do the crime if you aint got the time

message previewKletis

All that Owosso Officer did was harrass a drunken city councelmen big deal

message previewKletis

The first thing these Magnet Officers seen was my State Appoved MMJ Card. They disreguarded that card and proceded to violate my civil rights. Robbed me at gun point.

Took 2500 dollars of my property.That I still have not had returned to me

message previewKletis

Who will get fired for the raid on my home May 13th 2009.Was found not guity. Had all my ducks in a row. And the police sent patient doctor info to a lansing TV station. And pinpointed on an Owosso map where I was legaly growing Marijuana under the Michigan Marijuana Act. Who will get fired for that. Time will tell.Geoffery Fieger said he would get to the bottom of this

These over zealous police need to learn the word COMPROMIZE. They had their fun with the smart comments . The little victory dance they did in my driveway for all to see. OO ya they had fun violateing me like any common rapist would at gun point mind you . How tough is that. They were wearing the guns not me

Is Armed Robbery Legal for police in the State Of Michigan? We shall see time will tell. Or am I only over reacting. They knew I wasnt MNF/DELIVERY of marijuana all they wanted out of this was fear and to stop the MMJ movement period. And to confincate my property.Thats their goal. At the time I had ten plants and my largest light was 400 watts oooo my BIG TIME. At the time I got my card I was disabled from GM for two years spinial injury.So i was qualified to get a card. Thought what a neat hobby growing marijuana instead of tomatos. Man was i wrong so much worry over a silly little plant

Is Armed Robbery Legal for police in the State Of Michigan? We shall see time will tell. Or am I only over reacting. They knew I wasnt MNF/DELIVERY of marijuana all they wanted out of this was fear and to stop the MMJ movement period. And to confincate my property.Thats their goal. At the time I had ten plants and my largest light was 400 watts oooo my BIG TIME. At the time I got my card I was disabled from GM for two years spinial injury.So i was qualified to get a card. Thought what a neat hobby growing marijuana instead of tomatos. Man was i wrong so much worry over a silly little plant

Im So Sorry " Kingpinn "

Your a Better Man then Me ...

I just could'nt take it ...

I would force them to Kill Me if

they try taking something from me ...

I feel your Pain ... Hang in there ...

God Willingly You'll get your Day :thumbsu:

I surely hope you have alot of Support from

your Local Compassion Club ...

So, here is an individual who has committed a crime, even a misdemeanor, fired, yet no charges.

The city blocks any request for info, while it has it;s lawyers review, and still this person who is guilty, has not been punished.

The corruption reeks from my house in Macomb County.

Archived