Small Bubble Cloner

Brandan

Someone asked me to show them how i made my little bubble cloner so here it is .. I am not taking credit for the design, i did alot of research for cloners, but this is what i made that suits my needs:

What you will need is either at meijers or walmart..

1 20-60 gallon/double outlet aquarium pump- 10.42 at wally world

2 6 inch airstones - 1.99 at meijers

Some aquarium airline tubing- really cheap like $3 for 25 feet

2 6 quart starilite shoe boxes.($0.94 at wallyworld

Some duct tape or Metalic tape

4 3inch netted pots

some rock wool

hydrotone clay pellet things

med_gallery_13605_333_2176600.jpg

ok, now take the shoe box, and poke 2 holes in it side by side with a knife. Big enough for the tubing to snuggly slide through..( i have already wrapped mine in duct/gorrilla tape so dont mind it..)

Now take your airstones and connect them inside of the box

med_gallery_13605_333_2827286.jpg

Take one of the lids and using the 3 inch netted pots draw the holes where u want your clone sites to be. I made 4, just remember to cut smaller than the outline so you will be able to put the pot in the hole without in falling in. You can cut the holes with an utility knife, just be careful.

med_gallery_13605_333_1415960.jpg

just set one of the pots in there and fill with regular PHed water till its about 1/4 - 1/8 inch from the bottom of the pot. put a little hydoton pellets in the pot, put in your clone in a rockwool square, fill in the pot with more hydroton pellets, and use the other box as your humidity dome. I did not use any gooting gel or hormone, only phed water and I had 100% rooting success with my very first cloning run using this..

med_gallery_13605_233_2252856.jpg

If you really want to learn about the bubble cloning and bubble buckets look into Bubblegrowers stuff, the mad is a mad scientist lol Seriously though the guy knows his stuff.. But i hope that this will help some one out :jig:

awesome post bud :) not sure where ya got the idea but it friggin rocks :) hee-hee

just wanna add something real quick:

yeah, air is essential for rooting regardless of your medium/method.

rockwool and any other kind of starter plug should be allowed to dry out quite a bit before watering again. soaked rockwool cubes/plugs cant get air.

it would be no different than growing in soil..... in a pot that doesnt have drain holes in the bottom..... and keeping 4 inches of water in the bottom. it'll just drown :)

same thing goes with aero cloners too. technically i have found that a 1min on/4min off recycle timer is the fastest way to go.... but they can be expensive.

if you read the directions on a daisy cloner it will tell you to leave the water pump on 24hrs a day for the first couple days and then gradually back off. of course they dont supply you with the expensive timer though.

the stem needs air and water to make roots.

ez-cloners used to say that too, but i havent bought one in quite awhile.

if you take your cuttings, put them straight into rockwool, and then straight into a cloner like this, you wanna be sure that you give your stem a chance to dry out fairly well everyday. these things work great, but they can also keep your rockwool totally waterlogged the entire time if you are not careful.

just wanted to remind everyone that moist is the goal.... not soaked.

if these means shutting a pump off for awhile, ya just saved a buck :)

just make sure it doesnt stay TOO wet :)

Thx for the guide. I would love an update on how it works out for you in 7-10 days. I just built one with almost the exact same parts. I left out the rockwool though for the reasons that bubblegrower mentioned. It just keeps the stem too wet and slows down rooting. I just let them dangle about 1" in bubbling water. I also added a small aquarium heater because its getting cold.

Archived