Wyoming Commissioners Want To Ban Mmj

wolfgang

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/09/wyoming_commissioners_favor_ba.html

WYOMING -- Despite concerns about inviting a lawsuit, six of nine city planning commissioners agree that a ban on medical marijuana would be best. That's the result of a straw poll taken in advance of a formal vote expected next month.

Michigan voters in 2008 authorized use of the drug for medicinal purposes and communities around the state now are drafting local regulations. Wyoming staff have proposed guidelines, but the city's Planning Commission now appears to be leaning toward a ban.

Several cities on the east side of the state have banned medicinal use of the drug, citing that it's still prohibited by federal law.

The Wyoming Planning Commission on Oct. 19 is expected to make a recommendation for the City Council to consider in November.

"(A ban) assures that we're in compliance with federal law," said Tim Cochran, city planner. "The downside is we may be in violation of state law.

"We feel we're more likely to get sued (if we ban medical marijuana)."

Cochran and City Attorney Jack Sluiter have proposed that Wyoming enact regulations similar to those adopted by Grand Rapids:

• State-licensed medical marijuana patients and caregivers must register with the city.

• Caregivers may operate only in certain residential zones, one per parcel; commercial dispensaries are prohibited.

• Caregivers must be at least 1,000 feet from schools, child care centers and public parks or playgrounds.

• Building permits must be obtained for devices needed to cultivate marijuana.

• Pickup and delivery of medical marijuana is not permitted before 7 a.m. or after 7 p.m. and no signs related to medical marijuana are allowed.

The Planning Commission reviewed the regulations last month and again earlier this month, postponing a recommendation until next month. There's concern that medical marijuana will create public safety and health problems. The commission may choose to suggest a ban, while also proposing regulations in case the City Council opts for that route.

Awaiting the commission's advice, the City Council earlier this month extended a moratorium on medical marijuana until March 1. Mayor Jack Poll, a pharmacist, said he wants to make sure use of the drug is strongly regulated.

"Until I feel there's a comfortable system in place, I would prefer to have a lawsuit than to have it frivolously dispensed without regulation," Poll said. "I hope to be as stringent as we can possibly be."

Several other area communities including East Grand Rapids, Grandville, Holland, Kentwood, Walker and Allendale, Alpine and Gaines townships also are reviewing the issue.

"(A ban) assures that we're in compliance with federal law," said Tim Cochran, city planner. "The downside is we may be in violation of state law.

And there's that.........

Cant please everyone while youre pretending to cover your own assmonkey while pushing through your own agenda...

Ban it go ahead!

Get the signatures...and put it on the ballot

Then there's that pesky matter of the will of the people to contend with...

It seeps through wherever it can...open the window a crack and let in the light :unsure:

Yeah go ahead....whatever :sword:

They essentially push criminal growers futher into the shadows and dealers...you can forget about it!

You would think they would want to bring those people into legit business and out of crime which ends up encompasing alot more nefarious activites than distributing cannabis to state registered mmj patients!

Yep, they should embrace the full meaning of the act instead of trying to cut it down, regulate or restrict it in ways not specified in the law...Its in their best interest really...

What ticks me off right now is hearing a state official stating that well...where it did you get it before this ? Just Get it There...what????

Some people are new to using cannabis of any sort...most have used it but are now legal to use it for a specific purpose

But to asssume "just get it where you did before"...Man that's offensive

Just be a criminal...we want you to be a criminal...we are more comfortable with you as a criminal...is I think is the message...loud and clear

So they are not comfortable with patients receiving medical cannabis

Anyway ...it's highly offensive

Even with zero regulation people would still have serious problems accessing medicine in a reliable timely manner...and this problem is getting worse

No pre-existing "get it where you did before" persona or location will be too visible to anyone including mmj patients the way they have come down on legal mmj patients and caregivers

The people that have been doing this sort of thing illegaly for decades without insident... These people have it down...Mmj patients/caregivers dont have it down...These people are vunerable to these attacks by city councils and local sherriffs

This sort of restriction only scares illegal operators into moving further underground...It sure doesnt encourge them to sign up!!!... even if they do qualify and would comply with limitations of being legal

It would be to law enforcements benefit to have these folks legitamized and focused on mmj within the framework of the law....if the protections were upheld!

Its to LEOs benifit to uphold these protections!!!

It keeps it in a very controlled closed system...its not imported...its not exported

Right now its being imported, exported, sold on the street corner and funding crime in general

Limit that to medical marijuana...they make less money but get protection from prosecution...It goes to qualified patients and everyone's happy

Even LEO

Less crime...more stoned people

Sounds like a safer world to me :D

Obviously Complete Idiots,

State Law TRUMPS City Law !!! :thumbsu:

Wonder if you have to live in Wyoming to join the class action lawsuit ?

My family could really use some extra easy money, so if Wyoming outlaws the MM Act, guess i'll just have to get busted their with a couple Zips and join the money train.

What are these idiots running Wyoming Smoking, Crack ?

When are they meeting about this? I heard the 19th of October.

These people are clearly uneducated on a number of issues.

They need to be properly informed about medical cannabis and they also need to be retaught a few things about how laws work.

Do they want to waste taxpayer dollars? I hardly think that the city of Wyoming is in any position to be wasting money to do illegal things.

Everyone is already fleeing anyways. Wyoming welcomes urban blight yet wants to mess with sick people...

Archived